Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel quilty not listening to NUT

So I had sleeve on 4/15/13...11 days post op. I feel bad b/c my NUT said to eat clear/full liquids until I see her again (4/30/13). When my Dr. discharged me he said a week liquids...a week puree...a week of soft foods...and then slowly work up to regular foods by the time he sees me again (5/7/13). I was kinda unsure which to follow but since they put so much emphasis on the NUT I have tried to follow her orders. It has been SOOOOOO hard. I have pretty much followed her orders except this Tues I started to puree some Soups and eating those once a day....well then it got to 2 times a day. And then today I couldn't take it....I ate spaghetti os for dinner. I chewed chewed chewed...and it stayed down just fine. No tummy toubles...but I feel bad. Like maybe I am moving too fast. I know every dr. has different guidelines but why do I feel bad when the my Dr. encouraged this. LOL It felt SOOOOO good to actually eat something with substance. I know spagetti os probably werent the best thing...but it is what my 4 year old was eating....anyone else with me?? I just can't do liquids anymore!!!! UGH

It's bad enough that so many of us get different rules - but for your Doctor and your Dietitian not to be on the same page is ridiculous! You'd think they would have some sort of unified plan!

nope...i mean i don't really know. Im not really hungr...ever... but it is dinner time and we all sit down at the table. I don't eat a lot of Soup at one time but I think it is because I don't want much. I read somewhere if you feel the urge to burp or start burping that is a sign of fullness. So I have kinda used that and it seems to work. I also think the restriction comes more when we eat solid food. I don't want to move too fast, but there are only so many liquids I can take....and the questions from my 4 year old about my "special" dinner is getting old. LOL

I agree with Chris R. That is crazy but lol My doc was the same way. He told me when I was in the hospital to do liquids for 3weeks but when I had my two week post up with the NUT and the Surgeon who did the procedure with him they said it was ok to eat soft foods. My Doc also told me not to focus on my Protein until I get to the next stage, but the NUT and other Surgeon scolded me for not getting the proper amount. I was so confused. Its just so hard for me to get my liquid intake in. Somone please help me I am like at 24oz a day! :unsure:

Cheating this soon into it is a slippery slope. When I was banded 3 1/2 yrs ago, I was told liquids only for 4 weeks. I made it barely 2 when I myself decided it was time to add mashed potatoes. I thought I might starve. During the 3rd week, I myself decided to add scrambled eggs, refried Beans, and a cheeseburger from Burger King. It all went down fine.

3 1/2 yrs later I can honestly say that I wished I had gone by my drs orders. My band slipped (my fault again, vomiting frequently cuz I couldn't eat slower) and now I'm having a revision. I made a vow that I would now follow my drs directions during this revision. Breaking one rule leads to breaking many. I know this from personal experience.

But if you're following the advice given to you by your dr (I just re read your post), then don't feel guilty. The nutritionist is there to guide you, I think your drs orders (the one who actually did surgery on you) are more important. JMHO.

Good luck!

They def need to get on the same page!

Cheating this soon into it is a slippery slope. When I was banded 3 1/2 yrs ago, I was told liquids only for 4 weeks. I made it barely 2 when I myself decided it was time to add mashed potatoes. I thought I might starve. During the 3rd week, I myself decided to add scrambled eggs, refried Beans, and a cheeseburger from Burger King. It all went down fine.

3 1/2 yrs later I can honestly say that I wished I had gone by my drs orders. My band slipped (my fault again, vomiting frequently cuz I couldn't eat slower) and now I'm having a revision. I made a vow that I would now follow my drs directions during this revision. Breaking one rule leads to breaking many. I know this from personal experience.

But if you're following the advice given to you by your dr (I just re read your post), then don't feel guilty. The nutritionist is there to guide you, I think your drs orders (the one who actually did surgery on you) are more important. JMHO.

Good luck!

Yeah I know cheating is bad...i mean cheating on diets is what got me here. It is soooo hard though. And with the mis information from NUT and Dr. I feel like I am cheating because the NUT hasn't moved my diet ahead, but my Dr acted like it was no big deal. I am going to hold out on anything else until I see the NUT on tues. Its funny because I thought I would want bad stuff for me...but I really want meat. I want some chicken...turkey...beef. Anything. I would pass up any cake, pie, or pastry for a big slab of meat. LOL

Yeah I know cheating is bad...i mean cheating on diets is what got me here. It is soooo hard though. And with the mis information from NUT and Dr. I feel like I am cheating because the NUT hasn't moved my diet ahead, but my Dr acted like it was no big deal. I am going to hold out on anything else until I see the NUT on tues. Its funny because I thought I would want bad stuff for me...but I really want meat. I want some chicken...turkey...beef. Anything. I would pass up any cake, pie, or pastry for a big slab of meat. LOL

I wouldnt call it cheating I would call it being CONFUSED. I really think you need to trust your body as long as it is still Soup then fine. I didnt have a puree stage that was my liquid stage, it went stage one clear fluids which was in the hospital, stage 2 (2-3weeks) was liquids which consisted of Soups, yogurts, pudding, Jello, cream based soups, cream of wheat, and some other stuff, Stage 3 (3-6 weeks) soft foods, which contains fish, ground turkey, if meeting Protein I can have mashed potatoes with gravy, stage 4(Rest of my Life) food with recommendations and better options.

I was confused too huni, I just need to get my liquid and Protein in, our protein is just crazy compared to anyone without the surgery so it is hard but I know how vital all this is.

Trust your body and as long as you are eating things that are not solid then are fine, my doc said if it can be poured than its ok, he even had the nerves to say a milkshake and at two weeks I took him up on that offer, and it was not pleasant i got two sips in before I started to feel sick, if its not sugar free or low in sugar I am not messing with it.

It gets easier....