Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"I'm praying for you!"

Ugh, I'm gearing up to hear a lot of that from family members prior to my surgery. I know I'll have to play it nice and just thank them because they mean well, but ughh. I'll just mentally grimace, lol.

Why does it make you grimace? Just curious...

Because I believe it's useless. I know they mean well, but they all know I'm an atheist - it's no secret. I know someone praying for me doesn't *hurt* anything, but it sure doesn't help either. I guess I'd rather they do something practical to show their concern, like send me a care package (they've all had surgeries before and I never have, so I assume they'd know what little things I'll treasure afterward) or just take the time to talk with me about my fears, etc.

I am not an atheist but I do have friends that are. I kind of liken it to politics. You have your far left and your far right and sometimes they say something to the other person just to get their goat and sometimes it's just something that seems like the normal thing to say. I have always kept my religious beliefs to myself and I feel strongly that my relationship with God is between him and me and that converting people is not right.

I'm sure there are people in your life that if they tell you enough you will change your evil ways (their perception) and I'm sure there are people that it just seems natural to them and they are just doing what they can do to help in their opinion.

How to tell one from the other is a whole other subject. :)

Not sure this was helpful but good luck with your surgery and you will be so happy do you did it!

Ok. I see now. I hate the "I'll pray for you" bit sometimes too. Cuz you know they will never do it. If I tell someone I'm praying for them, I actually do it right then so I don't forget.

My sister's an athiest too. Each to his own. I don't get it, but you don't get why people believe. We're all different (thank God!) (Pun intended!)

Marci

The best response to an unwanted 'I'll pray for you' is 'Thanks, I'll think for you!'

Whether or not you believe, it's always nice to receive positive energy.

I can't stand that ridiculous statement either. I sure do appreciate the positive thoughts and wishful thinking.

I'm an atheist too, but it seems to me that when religious people say that they mean "I want it to turn out well for you".

I like the "I'll think for you" response, but it would be really offensive to some and obscure for others, so perhaps best said silently??

I often annoy my religious sister with "It'll be fine, or quick. Both outcomes are acceptable." But other than from your siblings you probably wouldn't want to have someone say "I hope it goes great or the ending is quick and painless", would you...??

Why couldn't they have prayed for me when I was eating all those pepperoni pizzas?

Hahahaha. I think it's a trite & often insincere phrase. I knew another nurse who said it all the time to patients& I know she couldn't remember anything about them later. I understand the phrase is usually well meaning, but people need to be a lil more genuine.

The best response to an unwanted 'I'll pray for you' is 'Thanks' date=' I'll think for you!'[/quote']

I completely understand why you'd want to respond to a kind, well meaning sentiment with a snarky comment. Makes perfect sense... *thick sarcasm*

How do you know they don't mean it or won't do it? You assume and aren't giving people enough credit. How do you know it's ineffective. It's hope, love, and well wishes being sent your way. It's a positive thing.

Take it for what it is at its most basic level. Someone who cares enough to want things to work out well for you.

By saying "I'll pray for you" shows that they care about you and that you are in their thoughts. They are concerned and want the best for you. I could be a lot worse!

I admit, some of you definitely have valid points. Positive energy is better than negative energy. But I should probably clarify my thoughts on the matter.

When I made my initial post, I was thinking of family members only. I'm actually only telling about 4 family members, and they're all very deeply Christian. They regularly tell me they're praying to Jesus to speak to me so that I'll finally "grow up" and start believing. As if that's the inevitable eventuality and I have no choice in the matter. So I suppose that, for me personally, it can sometimes feel like a very subtle attack on my way of life for one of these family members to tell me they're praying for me. Of course, I always just reply "thank you, I love you too"and then try desperately to change the subject, haha. (I think I was also mad at them when I posted this because I had only told TWO family members and told them to keep their traps shut, but then suddenly two more family members know, surprise surprise. Dang busybodies.)

This absolutely doesn't apply to strangers or co-workers or anybody else who doesn't know I'm an atheist. With them, I accept the face value positivity of their statement, and move on.

I hope that clears things up, haha. :)