Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No drinking 30 minutes before or after meals?

I really found it helpful to practice this before surgery, but that being said it was still difficult to get used to. The best thing you can do post-op is just have no liquids anywhere near you while you're eating. And don't try anything to spicy or you'll be regretting it. :)

A lot of people in my support group and at my nutrition class were more concerned with the not drinking after. The before isn't as important. The liquid will pass through fairly quickly as long as you don't do anything like chug a thick Protein drink right before a meal. If you're just sipping, I think it's ok to continue sipping up until eating. But definitely give it the half hour afterwards so that you don't push the food through before you've had a chance to digest all of the nutrients.

Hi Everyone,

i am really struggling with the required 64 oz my surgeon says to consume daily..on the pureed stage and the times they want me eating and taking Vitamins and prilosec seems like there isnt 6o minutes to sip...lol..i know i'm whining but it is the hardest struggle so far. wondering if i am alone.

Hi Everyone' date='

i am really struggling with the required 64 oz my surgeon says to consume daily..on the pureed stage and the times they want me eating and taking Vitamins and prilosec seems like there isnt 6o minutes to sip...lol..i know i'm whining but it is the hardest struggle so far. wondering if i am alone.[/quote']

You aren't alone, I'm nearly 4 weeks post op, and I've yet to reach my goal of 64 oz. Its especially hard when you are suppose to eat 5x a day & then wait 45 min to drink every time.

Well...my plan of doing 1 ounce shot of Isopure with a chaser of Water every 10 minutes is really working. I set my phone to go off with a really obnoxious song-drink it- and hit snooze. Yesterday was get your freak on and today is no diggity. Mwa hahaha spell check changed that to no dignity. Love that.

I guess I am a lucky one..I never did drink while I ate. Had to save room for more food, lol. I am having trouble getting my alotted ozs of Water though. I consider the water in the fruits and veggies I eat. I had surgery in Nov of 2012. When they told me I couldn't drink 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after eating., then I wanted water with my meals..it is all such a mind game. I liked the video of the applesauce.

There are so many changes we have all had to make with our life styles and challenges to overcome but it is so worth it! I am six months out and have lost 54 lbs. I just treated myself to a new wardrobe. My Type II diabetes is gone. i have eliminated one of my two blood pressure medications and was able to half the dose on the remaining med. I suspect I will totally be off of blood pressure medication completely for the first time in 26 years very soon. Even though my focus was to improve my health, I have decided that 75 lbs will be my weight loss goal, so I am 21 lbs away! Can't drink when eating a meal? Had to give up sodas? I consider these minor sacrifices when I see all of the positive benefits I am enjoying! Weight loss surgery is only a tool! We have to keep our focus on making changes and being successful and learning to forgive ourselves if we aren't perfect every day on this journey. Try to overcome a new challenge each day and keep a positive attitude! I am proud of all of us for having the courage to take this step and encourage you all to take it one day and one challenge at a time!

It comes naturally after awhile. I am 1 1/2 years out and still can't drink right after eating, it just plain hurts. Just don't keep a drink beside you while eating, that helped me stop. Sometimes it's just the little things that help the most.

1 word Painful . It's painful to drink and eat at the same time. I have forgotten 1 time too many. I have not had a craving for Soda. It's enough to get Water and Protein in. I wouldn't waste my daily carbs on soda (empty calories) that will probably make me sick.

This is just my Opinion.

I am 11 days post op, I would like to know how long is the sipping stage. It's very hard for me, I be so thirsty I just want to gulp the Water down. So far I have lost 27lbs, but I'm always tired and weak. I get out of breath from just getting dress. I just don't know. Please help me understand is this normal.

Don't feel alone...I'm 10 days post op and have very little energy.I am starting to be able to take in some Protein Shake and that is helping but I definitely have to break up my 30 minutes of exercise in two times a day. I also take a nap for an hour.down 25.I have a feeling once you/me get to taking in max Protein etc our energy will go up! You just had surgery, just do your best :)

Don't feel alone...I'm 10 days post op and have very little energy.I am starting to be able to take in some Protein Shake and that is helping but I definitely have to break up my 30 minutes of exercise in two times a day. I also take a nap for an hour.down 25.I have a feeling once you/me get to taking in max Protein etc our energy will go up! You just had surgery' date=' just do your best :)[/quote']

Thank you

I drink with my meals. Idk if I will regret it later. I also drink Coke Zero all the time. I'm a bad influence so don't do as I do!

I drink with my meals. Idk if I will regret it later. I also drink Coke Zero all the time. I'm a bad influence so don't do as I do!

How long ago did you have the surgery?

How long ago did you have the surgery?

6 days. 4/22/13

I am 11 days post op' date=' I would like to know how long is the sipping stage. It's very hard for me, I be so thirsty I just want to gulp the Water down. So far I have lost 27lbs, but I'm always tired and weak. I get out of breath from just getting dress. I just don't know. Please help me understand is this normal.[/quote']

Are you using that breathing thingy they have you after surfer? I hate it but it seems to help me get a little more breath each day.

Also can't believe they don't have you drinking Protein. I thinks will turn around when you do.

post-56987-13813665097168_thumb.jpg