Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI: is throwing up different on the sleeve?

Please don't get mad at me for asking! :(

For me, for my whole life, throwing up is one of the worst things for me, ever. It is the worst sensation and just thinking about it makes me shudder. I do anything to avoid it. Thankfully I am not squeamish. But I've had to stop taking certain meds that cause severe nausea because of it, including some pain meds. Same with a couple foods. I just can't enjoy them at all.

Is throwing up with a sleeve more painful? Is there more dry heaving? What food in tolerances have you developed that have caused vomiting?

The vomit issue was one of the reasons why I choose not to go with the RNY. Puking very often, especially in the beginning, would be horrible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST

5 months out and have never thru up.

IMO, throwing up post sleeve does not feel any different than throwing up pre sleeve. What DOES feel different for me is the sensation BEFORE throwing up. Typically, if I have to throw up post sleeve, I feel it in my chest and throat. Almost as if those areas are blocked and then I run to a sink. Pre sleeve, if I had to throw up I felt it in my stomach.

For me, I think the reasons were user error related. Not chewing enough or eating too fast. I have not actually thrown up because of nausea since being sleeved. Anyway, now that I am close to three months post op, I have solved those earlier issues and don't have the vomiting urge any longer.

It's very different for me. Now it's like someone has hit the eject button. It's up, out and gone without all the dry heaving I would have pre-sleeve. I absolutely hated vomiting pre-sleeve. Now, it's a relief when it does happen... and I work hard to make sure that it's a rare occurrence. :)

I am 17 months out, have never been nauseous or thrown up. I too hate it. This surgery comes with pretty good directions, if you follow the recipe, unless you're ill, you may never experience the throwing up part. It seems people who eat too fast do that or I've just been exceptionally lucky. I've never been sick at all. :-)

I have vomited a few times.. All due to eating too fast or food that was too dry to early out. It is a totally different feeling for me than pre sleeve. As above I feel it in my chest/throat. I then get a feeling of excess saliva build up and when I do vomit it isn't as forceful as in the past, there isn't the heaving like in the past, and it did take a few times to get it all up in small amounts. It wasn't at all painful and it felt different (not worse just different). I think because there isn't a lot of excess liquid due to not drinking and eating that makes a difference in the feeling as well. Sorry I hope that wasn't too much info. I was terrified to vomit post sleeve but it wasn't that bad at all. Best of luck

I'm 10 weeks post op & like the posts above have vomited a few times mainly trying new foods, eating too fast of drinking whilst eating. Sometimes it's just slime other times more.

Before my surgery if I ever got sick it was once a year if I fought a bug or something & that was terrible full on sick cramps heaving & dry wrenching always thought I'm gonna die but post sleeve is nothing . You feel it in your throat & chest & can make it to the loo in time, then just bend & up it comes & then you feel so much better..

As you get more used to the sleeve these episodes get less. Or so I'm told !!

It has been different for me. I've thrown up a few times. Several the day of surgery due to anesthesia, but it wasn't painful. It was quick and then I was up walking again. Twice since surgery..once because I ate too fast, once because I ate a bite too much. It feels like a full feeling at the bottom of my esophogus, a little cough and it was over. No pain, no retching. Felt better and fine afterwards.

It has been different for me. I've thrown up a few times. Several the day of surgery due to anesthesia' date=' but it wasn't painful. It was quick and then I was up walking again. Twice since surgery..once because I ate too fast, once because I ate a bite too much. It feels like a full feeling at the bottom of my esophogus, a little cough and it was over. No pain, no retching. Felt better and fine afterwards.[/quote']

Same here. I hated throwing up too. But usually if it happens its a huge relief and I'm fine afterwards. No dry heaving. A lot if times it's just slime. For me it's from eating to fast, to much, or not chewing it up good enough.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences guys! I know it's a weird question but vomiting is horrible for me so it's something I always have to take into account when I do things that can induce it!

Sounds like it's not as bad after surgery. I hate the retching part. It's the worst! I'm also glad I decided on sleeve and not RNY. I couldn't deal with throwing up tons of food due to intolerance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST

I've only thrown up once (from eating too fast) in 21 months. It felt more like spitting up rather than the full-blown vomiting that happens with having the stomach flu (or drinking too much tequila!!). :)