Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all -

One year ago I was in the best shape of my life, exercising 6x a week, running, lifiting, dancing, yoga, you name it. I was still watching my carbs, tracking everything in my online tracker. Then I lost my job, broke up with my boyfriend, and went through a serious depression. 2012 was NOT my year. So, I stopped going to the gym, stopped tracking my food, stopped coming here for support, and just fell off a cliff. Looking at it in writing, it appears to have been more of a suicide than sabotage. At any rate, I want to get back to that feeling of strength and health.

I was at 165 lbs a year ago, still 15 lbs shy of surgeon's goal. I am currently approx 185 lbs :( BUT ... this week I started tracking my food again, watching my carbs, exercising, and coming back here :)

So my question is this: does anyone know if doing a "reset" works? I mean, returning to a post-op lifestyle in order to jumpstart weight loss again. I am eating 700 cals a day, <30g carbs, >60g Protein, 60 oz Water. I'm doing a minimum of 30 minutes cardio every day plus yoga. I do not have a functioning scale at the moment so have no numbers yet to see if it is working.

Does it work? I accept that there are genetic factors at play, but I really want to see south of 130 pounds (I'm 5'3"). I'm 2.5 years out, with 50 lbs to lose. I figure if I can just get to and maintain 130, plastics will take care of the rest.

I hope that this works for you. I'm 6 month out and have felt that I've let slip - not even started to exercise yet! really need to get my act together too. Please keep us informed of your progress with this.

I see no reason why it won't work. As I said in that other thread, you still have the sleeve and you obviously know how to work it. A back to basics approach...back to the beginning...will certainly help you. I have even suggested before to other people that they try the 5 day pouch test just to kickstart things for you. Or there's a great plan in little miss divas boot camp thread somewhere. Either way, yes you can do it. Good luck. Remember, hydrate, Protein, exercise. You can do it.

Thank you for reminding me about the 5 day pouch test - I'm going to do this, starting at the weekend.

I see no reason why it won't work. As I said in that other thread' date=' you still have the sleeve and you obviously know how to work it. A back to basics approach...back to the beginning...will certainly help you. I have even suggested before to other people that they try the 5 day pouch test just to kickstart things for you. Or there's a great plan in little miss divas boot camp thread somewhere. Either way, yes you can do it. Good luck. Remember, hydrate, Protein, exercise. You can do it.[/quote']

What is the 5 day pouch test? I am having surgery next month and reading this was interesting

What is the 5 day pouch test? I am having surgery next month and reading this was interesting

You can google it. But it's basically 2 days full liquids, 1 day soft foods, 1 day ease back into normal foods. By the fifth day you're done.....those are the basics....there's a little more to it. But the purpose behind it can be to break a stall or just help kickstart us back into good habits after we've slid back into some old bad behaviors. Some say it will help bring back some restriction. It will in the sense that even a normal person can starve themselves for a few days and the stomach shrinks. It's not going to reverse months or years of overeating though. But it's a good way to break a cycle of bad eating behavior

DISCLAIMER: For anyone reading this, I wouldn't recommend it for the newly sleeved. This is for people who are months down the line. If you've hit the 3 week stall this will not help. Plus you're likely still not on full foods yet anyway.

You can google it. But it's basically 2 days full liquids' date=' 1 day soft foods, 1 day ease back into normal foods. By the fifth day you're done.....those are the basics....there's a little more to it. But the purpose behind it can be to break a stall or just help kickstart us back into good habits after we've slid back into some old bad behaviors. Some say it will help bring back some restriction. It will in the sense that even a normal person can starve themselves for a few days and the stomach shrinks. It's not going to reverse months or years of overeating though. But it's a good way to break a cycle of bad eating behavior

DISCLAIMER: For anyone reading this, I wouldn't recommend it for the newly sleeved. This is for people who are months down the line. If you've hit the 3 week stall this will not help. Plus you're likely still not on full foods yet anyway.[/quote']

Thanks thats really good to know.I have been reading a lot that people that have stall and they dont loose. I started a new hobby last week with my husband biking out I n the park and we even bought a trailer for my daughter and thw dog so we dont have any excuses not to go out and exercise. I am hopefull because I know that exercise is a big part of the success. Hoping my husband get in shape too this is going to be good for us. Ready to become more healthy and teach my daughter the samething good habits.

So I'm not doing the "pouch test" then, because I'm not doing liquids. I'm just returning to post-op solids eating.

Today -

B - egg white scramble w diced ham, shredded cheese approx 4 oz

L - 1/2 C. cucumbers, Protein shake made w almond milk

D - 1/2 C. steamed veggies, 4 oz chicken

snack - coffee w 1% milk, half grapefruit.

total cals - 689. carbs 34, Protein 87

exercise - 30 min cardio, 3 sets upper body weights, yoga.

I weighed myself day before yesterday (night), yesterday morning, and this morning and there has been a pound difference every time!

I'm so glad you posted! I hope not to fall too far down a cliff after I'm sleeved and get out a year or so, but I'm also a realist and I know it's all too possible for life to impact us in unhealthy ways. It's great to see someone say "Hey, enough - I need to get back on track". Please keep us posted on how it's going, because I think it will be inspirational to others who have had a bit of a lapse to see that it CAN be done!

Update: I have been livin' la vida post-op for 5 days now - and am down 5 lbs! Whether that is the infamous "water weight" that isn't a *real* loss, I don't care, it's numbers heading south and that's what I like to see ^_^.

Update: I have been livin' la vida post-op for 5 days now - and am down 5 lbs! Whether that is the infamous "Water weight" that isn't a *real* loss' date=' I don't care, it's numbers heading south and that's what I like to see ^_^.[/quote']

That sounds great! Thanks for sharing. Was it hard to get back into the new post op style of eating?

The only difficulty is in my head; panic over not getting to eat Snacks like everyone else and my frantic desire for chocolate. Regarding the amounts though, it's amazing, today is day 6 of the reset, tracking every one of my 700 or less calorie intake, cardio and strength every day and it is actually getting easier to eat less. Whatever science is involved, a week ago I probably could have eaten an entire cheeseburger with only a small half time break. Now, I eat 3 forks of an egg white omelet and I'm done. So long as I see results, I'm going to keep doing this, as soon as I hit a stall I will take that as a cue from my body to switch it up.

The only difficulty is in my head; panic over not getting to eat Snacks like everyone else and my frantic desire for chocolate. Regarding the amounts though' date=' it's amazing, today is day 6 of the reset, tracking every one of my 700 or less calorie intake, cardio and strength every day and it is actually getting easier to eat less. Whatever science is involved, a week ago I probably could have eaten an entire cheeseburger with only a small half time break. Now, I eat 3 forks of an egg white omelet and I'm done. So long as I see results, I'm going to keep doing this, as soon as I hit a stall I will take that as a cue from my body to switch it up.[/quote']

How many pounds have you lose since you were sleeve?

with the gain that I have experienced in the past year, I have *only* lost 105 lbs :( I was so proud, prior to my regain, to tell the world that I had lost 130 lbs ... I hope eventually (after plastics and everything) to be able to proclaim that I have lost 170 lbs!! :)

I am six months out and I am thinking of going back to a style of eating I did when I was on a diet called Cohen's Diet it is Called Dr. Cohens 1st Personal Diet here in the USA .I am not going to do it the exact same way but the fundamental of it were good and Calories worked out to be 700-800 daily.

It was very simple . A day for me would have been

BF 175 gms or 6oz plain yogurt

snack apple

lunch 90gms or 3 oz lean beef +120 gm or 4 oz green salad

Snack orange

dinner 120 or 4 oz fish +100gm or 3.5 oz low gi veg.

It also allowed for about 5 simple crackers like saltines idk why.

And 64 oz of Water

But no other sugar or carbs other than in the 2 fruits veg and crackers

There is a list of approved fruits and veg I have somewhere and I will have to add more Protein but I think it is the controlled carbs that made a difference. We were allowed 5 Splenda packets too:)

There were some variations like you could have an egg+ veg for BF or 2 oz off cheese +veg for Breakfast.< /p>

And you could change the meat and eat lamb or chicken or kangaroo or venison instead of beef just no pork.

Fish was any white fish or shrimp.

Salad could be steamed or raw low gi veg.