Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The GREAT WALL of Sleeve

So I had my surgery on tuesday at 0900am. I did very well the first day, and then the 2nd day at 1pm, I hit "the WALL" as my nurse put it! I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else hits it and freaks out like I did. The wall is when you stomach is swelled to its capacity! I FELT AWFUL! I was nauseated, having spasms, in 10/10 pain and could not get anything down. They are turned off my pain pump so that was not a option! My awesome nurse called the doc and was able to get a 1 time dose of torodol and decradron that helped so very much!!!! Since this is fairly common according to my nurses I just wanted to share my experience to help any others who go through it. My doctor calls it buyers remorse and yes I was like "why did I do this to myself!" This morning however I FEEL 100% better and am able to swallow my meds. I still feel it go all the way down but it doesn't hurt!!! Good Luck to all you new sleevers and I just wanted to thank you to all you post sleevers who posted your experiences that helped me! Have a AWESOME thursday everyone!!!

I had a similar experience. My surgery was on Tuesday, but I didn't hit the wall until I got home yesterday evening. I learned not to be brave about taking the pain meds. Take them on time everytime to stay ahead of the pain, at least these first few days! I was able to sleep in bed last night until about 3, then came downstairs, took the pain meds and slept propped up on the couch until my hubby went to work this morning. I am able to tolerate a little more fluids this morning, but don't plan on being without the pain meds the rest of today!

Yep, me too!! Hit the wall today after a fantastic first day. Prob did too much yesterday - lots walking - showering self. Today - lightheaded, bone tired. Good to warn other people!!

I felt so much better after they took the damn drain out. Sorry for the "D" word, lol. I didn't end up using all of my pain meds and I was so grateful for that. The only issue that I've had is I had a piece of chocolate (highly acidic food, btw) right before bed and awoke a few hours later with the most awful heartburn with bile in my throat. Thank the Lord for the generic Prilosec that many of us are prescribed. And yes, before you wave your finger in my face about the chocolate...it was EASTER!!!! lol :D Feel better!!

Had my sleeve Monday.My body didn't adjust we'll. I wasn't urinating and blood pressure fell to 98.Well, they finally gave me Water and things started working.I still had a lot of flem,and congestion in my chest. I'm back home as of last night, and had

the best sleep. I just feel tired and feel like I have the flu.I'm sure things will get better.

I had my sleeve on Monday ( 4/22/13) & came home on Wednesday. Everything went smoothly. A lot of people thought I looked so good like I didn't even have surgery. My UGI went well for no leaks. I am now on Stage 3 food and trying to get as much fluids in as possible. All I do is urinate. Even in the hospital every 2 hours, I would have to get up to go to the bathroom. It's easier now at home because I don't have to drag the IV pole with me...lol. I went home without any of my Diabetic meds....yeehaa! This was much easier than my hysterectomy.even the drain didn't bother me. I got a hernia repair while I was there & found out that I have another one that will be repaired at possibly a later date. I just have to remember to eat slower. The doctor gave me a esophagus anti-spasm pill for that. I also have to remember to take pills once at a time. I do have a headache. Maybe that could be from lack of enough sleep in a row or caffeine.( I had switched to Decaf prior to surgery) . I am tired! How long does it take to go away?

I was sleeved on the 23rd as well. Only spent one night in the hospital. Was supposed to be 2 but it was my birthday and my doctor took pity on me lol. I was doing really good so he released me at 5pm last night. I'm having a lot of trouble getting the required liquid down. Also. I'm on Clear Liquids. What about Protein? ???? Nervous I'm not doing this right. I sip all the time and only on my 3rd water bottle :-(. Any suggestions?

Each physician has his own plan - and I think the important thing for us to get in right now is Water. He or she may not be concerned about Protein yet because dehydration is the biggest challenge we face this early in the process,

I was sleeved on 4/10 and I still don't get the required protein..I talked to my Dr. About it and he was more concerned with the liquids at this point.. he says the rest will come.

My problem now is that I'm so weak and tired - no doubt lack of Protein but I just keep trying every day.

I also had a hernia repair and had my gall bladder out- 1st week sucked but once I got into week 2 things got better..

I was sleeved on 4/10 and I still don't get the required Protein..I talked to my Dr. About it and he was more concerned with the liquids at this point.. he says the rest will come.

My problem now is that I'm so weak and tired - no doubt lack of Protein but I just keep trying every day.

I also had a hernia repair and had my gall bladder out- 1st week sucked but once I got into week 2 things got better..

Wow. You are a trooper! One day at a time girl. You will get there