Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Life as a Bandster

I was very touched by your story. You are very brave and a real fighter. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am doing a 40 mile walk in Sept to raise money for wigs for cancer patients...you will be on my mind while I walk. Thank you so much for the update; I read it to my husband as well. Huge hugs.ps...I moved in with my mom for a few months to help her during her cancer battle (she is doing great now) and I had to learn to cook breaking all the rules! It is a challenge...I never thought I would make Soup using cream cheeze as a base! Every morning we would both weigh...she would pray for the scale to go up and I would pray for it to go down! I guess there can be humour in every situation.

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Give my best to your mum, Bandiva. It sure is weird jumping on that scale and hoping to see that it has gone up!!! Especially after having been such a "healthy" grrl all my life.... LOL

Hi everyone...just checking in to tell you about my HUGE victory. I entered a 56km ultramarathon that took place (mostly) on an old logging road. Both walkers and runners could enter so I thought I would give it a go. I trained both mentally and physically for months! I wanted to finish more than anything. I have - make that 'had' - this little voice in my head that said that I couldn't finish things I start, and I also wanted to prove to myself that I was healthy and strong. So I trained and trained...and finished an amazing 56th out of 455!!!!! I am so happy! Anything is possible when you believe in your goal and prepare yourself daily for positive results.

We bandsters have a new lease on life and we can do ANYTHING!!!!! Woo hoo! We deserve to be happy and healthy!:teeth_smile:

congratulations bandiva. You have reached your goal of weight now you have reached your goal to finish things and that includes maintainence. By running and proving to yourself you can finish things, your maintenance program should be a breeze.

Aw, thank you! I never looked at it that way. I guess I just have to remember the mantra "Sucess is a series of small accomplishments."

Happy thoughts everyone!

Victoria.

Hey Green, how are you doing ? Been think about you !:cursing:

Thanks for asking. I was doing really well up until last week when my ENT surgeon attempted to sew my trach hole close. It hadn't entirely closed by itself. He left a chain of stitches that looked like he was working on a crazy quilt (or was crazy). Over the weekend I started running a fever, my motor co-ordination skills completely crashed (I couldn't hold anything in my hands and I kept falling on the floor), and I began vomiting.

Two visits to downtown ERs later, it turns out that I have pneumonia in my right lung and a giant oozing infected hole in my gullet. I feel lousy and the hole is seriously gross to look at. I am back to spending most of my time in bed. This is depressing because I was - only last week! - in the process of getting my life back. I was just starting to contact friends I haven't seen since I first got cancer and I was beginning to work renewing my passport. Well, this should slow down my weight gain, eh. lol

By the way, congratulations on your weight loss, Yasmina. We Canadians are now entering the most challenging time of the year: winter, which is comfort food time.

Thanks for asking. I was doing really well up until last week when my ENT surgeon attempted to sew my trach hole close. It hadn't entirely closed by itself. He left a chain of stitches that looked like he was working on a crazy quilt (or was crazy). Over the weekend I started running a fever, my motor co-ordination skills completely crashed (I couldn't hold anything in my hands and I kept falling on the floor), and I began vomiting.

Two visits to downtown ERs later, it turns out that I have pneumonia in my right lung and a giant oozing infected hole in my gullet. I feel lousy and the hole is seriously gross to look at. I am back to spending most of my time in bed. This is depressing because I was - only last week! - in the process of getting my life back. I was just starting to contact friends I haven't seen since I first got cancer and I was beginning to work renewing my passport. Well, this should slow down my weight gain, eh. lol

Hey there Green: I am so sorry to hear that you've had a health set-back. Geesh, you were just getting wind in your sails again...

Keep working on that passport, you'll be traveling this winter - I just know it.

Your sense of humour has gotten you thru ....

Candice

Hey there Green: I am so sorry to hear that you've had a health set-back. Geesh, you were just getting wind in your sails again...

Keep working on that passport, you'll be traveling this winter - I just know it.

Your sense of humour has gotten you thru ....

Candice

Thanks, Peaches, I am feeling verrrry depressed over this set back.

Wow! I can't believe it is a year since I posted here. My weight is pretty consistant. I am up 5 pounds but not for long! It has been a crazy year. I want to share that I was able to help my sister thanks to my weight loss. She (Melissa 29) had been in kidney failure for the last year due to juvenile diabetes. In June, after a year of testing, we did a kidney transplant. It felt incredible to be healthy enoght to help someone else. She had a great summer with her kids, bike riding, going to the part, really getting to know and appreciate her children. I am so thankful for that. In October she passed away suddenly of heart failure. Although I miss her more than I can ever say, I am thankful that she had those 3 months. Her girls are 5 and 10 and it was the first time her 5 year old ever saw her mom healthy. The kids have great memories of the summer to carry with them...and lots of photos! I wanted to post this to show one more benefit of the band...my health was restored and I was able to help another...and I had a quick (relative to others) recovery. I hope this helps anyone who reads it to see how important it is to focus on our health...the beauty we get by losing weight is just icing on the cake. Best wishes and warm thoughts to all of you. I know we all have struggled with learning to appreciate ourselves and honour our bodies. It is a daily struggle, but so worth the benefits.

Dearest Bandiva

Your story has touched me. How wonderful it was to have given your sister the gift of those 3 months. Your scar will be a constant reminder of the joy you allowed her to share with her children any your family. My blessings to you and your family.

Donna

Bandiva, soor sorry to here about your family's loss. It's amazing that you were able to give your sister that gift.

take care Y