Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seat belt extenders on plane

How do you know if you will need a seat belt extender on the plane? I would prefer to buy one ahead of time if I need it.

Seat are very tight regardless. depends on aircraft and your body shape. Seatguru.com is a good reference for sizes.

Seat belt interfaces vary by airline, be careful Some flight crews will tell you, you can not bring your own, and give you one from the air craft. I suggest when you board and quietly ask the flight attendant to provide you one. They either give it to you right there, or bring it to your seat, normally discreetly.

Serenity1959 I needed a seatbelt extender when I flew to Mexico for my surgery. I called the airline before hand and asked if I could bring my own extender, they said no. So when I boarded the plane I asked one of the attendants for a belt, she said sure I'll bring it to you...well she left me waiting and waiting until I finally had to ring for another attendant. Everyone around me heard me ask but I thought to myself "never again", never again am I gonna have to ask for an extender...very empowering. I had a great attendant on my way home. I would suggest waiting until your seated and then ask for one. With your head held high :)

I had to have one this past summer when traveling. I needed one on 3 of 4 flights for our total trip and one was provided very discreetly each time, some more discreetly than others, but nonetheless discreetly. No one made an issue of it and all the flight attendents were very nice about it.

You might want to check if your airline has a limited number of "business class" seats available in their econo section. I am flying SPIRIT, and they have a few seats (usually at the front of econo). You have to pay extra each way (like $100) But it eliminates the worry, and makes the post-op flight much more comfortable. Also you get to board first.

I recently flew and they were on the plane just had to ask one of the staff on the plane,.

I just wrote this on the Lapbandtalk.com board the other day (the topic was "Your most embarrasing fat gril moment":

About 4 yrs ago, I had flown from Roanoke, VA to Medford, OR to look for a new house (was moving 3,000 mi away to start my life over after losing my husband). On the return flight, I had to take an 8 seater puddle jumper from Medford to San Fransisco. I guess their seatbelts were smaller on this smaller plane. I couldn't buckle it. I was horrified. Instead of asking for an extender, I just pretended that my seatbelt was belted. Then the attendant came around to check all of our seatbelts. They've NEVER done that before - until the one time mine was unbuckled. She offered my an extension. By that time, I was so red and embarrassed. I think she could tell cuz she kept apologizing. That flight couldn't have ended any sooner.

I just went through this today. Not only can I not fit it in the front row of the plane where the armrests are stationary, but I needed a seat belt extender. Embarrassing. You also can't sit in the roomy emergency isle if you require a seat belt extender. Fun fun!

BUT they gave me one no problem. I'm a women's size 26.

Gibson_girl, I will probably need one, then. I am a 24 but carry much of my weight in my backside. <sigh>

Yeh, I got back too lol. Nothing like reassuring you need surgery by not fitting into seats. Everyone was very kind to me though.

I was 290 at 5'5" and I was around a size 24/26 pants when I traveled to Mexico and I did not need one. I just buckle UNDER the belly and then drape my shirt over the top so people can't see how ridiculous it looks with my belly hanging over the top of the belt. Arm rests also went down just fine.. The seats were 18" wide on my flight and I did not encroach on my neighbors space. Now if you are taking a small plan for a connecting flight, you may have a different experience. Some small planes have 16.5" seats... which is a LOT smaller than 18"... that inch and a half makes a huge difference!

When I flew during the past few years at 310-320 pounds I only needed one once and that was on a belt that had been cut way down (I checked another seatbelt before getting off the plane out of curiosity and it fit me, it was just the belt I had that was about a whole FOOT too short!)

I don't think you'll need an extender serenity, BUT if you do, remember that it will be the LAST time you ever have to deal with that!

I was a size 20, I was fine on all my flights, except the last one coming home, the belt didn't fit. I was so embarrassed, the flight attendant was really nice and secretive about giving me an extender. I wanted to cry, but im sure the flight attendants are used to people needing them.

I travel each week for work. Was a size 26 prior to surgery. It depends on the aircraft.. This is what I do (well, I did) ... When boarding, there is usually an attendant just inside the boarding door. I usually ask then if they can give me one or bring it to my seat and give them my seat number. Down 28lbs so am hoping I won't need one much longer!!