Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes cured post-op, then it returned? Let me know of this happened to you.

I am having surgery on April 29th I am super excited because I have high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes which I feel has been effecting my performance at work and quality of life in general! I think I am just getting larger and larger the sicker I get from these ailments that are weight induced!! And it has been snow balling the worse I feel the less motivation, the bigger I get the crappier I do at work and home.

SO, I was reading about how diabetes goes away almost immediately after surgery and this is the MAIN reason for me getting the surgery. I am at a 36.9 BMI and my insurance approved me because of: Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, rapid heart rate, sleep apnea and a steady regimen of pain meds for bulging disks (due to weight) NOW I have been reading all of these college and hospital studies saying that only 2/3rds of people that get WLS the diabetes go away, and in a year or two a 3rd of those have diabetes again and after 5 years almost all of the get it back.. I have also read this is not true.. I know some places or biased and can pull negative and report or they can pull positive and report. So I want to know from the actual people:

Did your diabetes go away and if so, did it come back? If it did come back how long was it at bay for? How long did you have diabetes before the surgery?

I have been per-diabetic for 3 years and diabetic for 4 months.

If you had high blood pressure did it go away?

Hi, I have high blood pressure and I am off my medication now. I must say it's a combination of exercise (for me it's walking) and eating healthier. Since I had started walking prior to surgery, I noticed that my blood pressure was coming down already. In the past, when I lost weight and exercised, my blood pressure was fine, but if I gained weight (from not eating right) and stopped exercising, my blood pressure went back up. I'm hoping that I will be able to continue with the healthy eating and exercising to stay off HBP meds.

I had diabetes really bad. The day of surgery my sugar was 301. Today 6 1/2 months post op my sugar is 89-98 no meds.

The surgery itself isn't a "cure" for diabetes. You might be thinking about R-N-Y surgery which has shown to be effective in eliminating high blood sugars. There have been studies that say diabetes does decrease with weight loss (Type II) obviously. There have also been studies that say even with RNY, the diabetes will return at some point.

I was on 2000mg of Metformin before surgery. 5 months later I am down to 1000mg. I could probably go off entirely, but I am doing a gradual reduction. My sugars run about 90-95 fasting. I have also cut my HBP medicine in half, again doing a reduction. I've eliminated my cholesterol medication as well.

Did the study say if the subjects stayed within the eating plan?

I would think that just like those who return to poor eating habits will gain weight even after the sleeve, those who go back to poor eating choices would also have their diabetes come back.

The sleeve itself isn't a cure-all, you have to maintain the good habits to go with it to receive the greatest health benefits.

My doctor is taking me off all meds until 3 months after surgery & then he will run labs on me to see if I need to go back on any of them, but sure praying the diabetes (II) meds won't be added ever again! I can barely afford them, even with good insurance & prescription coverage! Maybe it depends how long you were a diabetic prior to surgery or if you're type I or type II?

Okay I will need to talk to my doctor then, I just didn't think about asking this I have pre-op Tuesday

These are the articles I read, and yes they do say after weight loss surgery but they seem to refer to bypass more than sleeve.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121126142957.htm

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/weight-loss-surgery-may-not-combat-diabetes-long-term/

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/253394.php

Oh and THANKS for the comments!!!

I will be 12 weeks on Monday and pre surgery I was on hbp pills and meds for diabetes but I have not taken no meds since surgery on jan 28 I'm walking 3 miles a day and feeling great!

I will be 12 weeks on Monday and pre surgery I was on hbp pills and meds for diabetes but I have not taken no meds since surgery on jan 28 I'm walking 3 miles a day and feeling great!

I am glad to hear it for both of us! I can't wait.

I was told at seminar that the surgeries do cure diabetes as long as you dont result to old eating habits

I have type ii diabetes and also had this surgery to help me maintain normal blood sugar. I kind of disagree tht anything will cure your diabetes or anyone elses type ii that is.. The definition of cure is to maintain normal blood sugar control for a certain amount of time. My definition would be my bodies ability to maintain normal blood sugar during a glucose tolerance test I believe would be much harder for any previous diabetic to pass then keeping blood sugar normal during a very restrictive diet.

On a side note I have maintained normal blood sugar since my surgery with no medication blood pressre is good and I'm assuming that all my labs are getting better I loose some of the extra weight I had. That said I have managed my blood sugar effectively for the last 7 years with diet and exerscise, it's always been a struggle counting carbs and experimenting with my meter. This surgery has appeared to make the process easier hopefully for the long haul even when I can't get he physical activity that I do today...

In short this is just a tool in a life long Quest to manage your disease through diet choices, my opinion is that you will not be cured atleast in my definition. Your success is up to you although I believe you have to be in the currect mindset to succeed... You wont be able to loose a buch of weight and then go on to eat without regard to carbohydrates and expect to manage your disease.