Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got a leak - at 4 months post op!

So - here's my story...got my sleeve on 12/17/12. Not a single problem or complication, nothing, nada. My surgeon tells me during a post-op visit that she noticed a hernia and would like to repair it within 90 days.

So I get my hernia surgery on 3/25/13. All is going well, I head back to work a week later. Except that I start feeling like I'm getting the flu. Low grade fever, chills, head spinning, needing to lie down often. And then my left shoulder starts to hurt and I get an ache in my left abdomen. I happened to have a follow-up appointment at the surgeon's office with one of her colleagues. He says I have low blood pressure and that could be causing the flu-like symptoms. I'm probably dehyrated and need more fluids.

I focus on fluids the rest of the week, but my symptoms don't let up. Now I'm having trouble eating solid foods - it just hurts. On Tuesday night, my fever spikes up to 101.5. I call the doctor's office and speak with her PA. The symptoms seem like a leak, except my abdominal pain is not that intense. The PA calls me back and said the surgeon has ordered a CT scan for the following day.

I get the CT scan and the radiologist advises me to go home and wait for the results. I have just arrived home when my phone rings - It's the PA telling me that I have a leak and need to be admitted immediately.

I have just spent the past 3 days in the hospital. Turns out the leak created an abscess, which showed up on the CT scan. However, further tests didn't show any more leaks. The surgeon and the gastroenterologist decide I need stents anyway as a precaution. On Thursday they inserted 2 stents - 22 cm total - in my sleeve and did a scope. They found no leaks but did find inflammation and an "area of weakness."

The surgeon is going on the theory that the hernia operation, using the laproscopic method, put too much pressure on the sleeve and created just a small enough hole for gastric acid to come out. Like a pin prick size. So the stents are there - the good news is I only need them for 2 to 3 weeks since there is no real hole to heal, they just want to give my sleeve a chance to rest and heal.

Meanwhile, stents hurt and the heartburn is awful!

WTH! What a nightmare. I hope you are doing better. Such an odd thing. I was not aware it was possible to have a leak 4 months out. Take care of yourself. Glad you were observant.

Wow! First off let me say that I'm glad you are getting better and with such a great attitude!

I've only read about one other leak here so far out, so definitely a rare thing..

I'm glad that you listened to your body and knew something was wrong to get the care you needed in a timely matter.

So - here's my story...got my sleeve on 12/17/12. Not a single problem or complication, nothing, nada. My surgeon tells me during a post-op visit that she noticed a hernia and would like to repair it within 90 days.

So I get my hernia surgery on 3/25/13. All is going well, I head back to work a week later. Except that I start feeling like I'm getting the flu. Low grade fever, chills, head spinning, needing to lie down often. And then my left shoulder starts to hurt and I get an ache in my left abdomen. I happened to have a follow-up appointment at the surgeon's office with one of her colleagues. He says I have low blood pressure and that could be causing the flu-like symptoms. I'm probably dehyrated and need more fluids.

I focus on fluids the rest of the week, but my symptoms don't let up. Now I'm having trouble eating solid foods - it just hurts. On Tuesday night, my fever spikes up to 101.5. I call the doctor's office and speak with her PA. The symptoms seem like a leak, except my abdominal pain is not that intense. The PA calls me back and said the surgeon has ordered a CT scan for the following day.

I get the CT scan and the radiologist advises me to go home and wait for the results. I have just arrived home when my phone rings - It's the PA telling me that I have a leak and need to be admitted immediately.

I have just spent the past 3 days in the hospital. Turns out the leak created an abscess, which showed up on the CT scan. However, further tests didn't show any more leaks. The surgeon and the gastroenterologist decide I need stents anyway as a precaution. On Thursday they inserted 2 stents - 22 cm total - in my sleeve and did a scope. They found no leaks but did find inflammation and an "area of weakness."

The surgeon is going on the theory that the hernia operation, using the laproscopic method, put too much pressure on the sleeve and created just a small enough hole for gastric acid to come out. Like a pin prick size. So the stents are there - the good news is I only need them for 2 to 3 weeks since there is no real hole to heal, they just want to give my sleeve a chance to rest and heal.

Meanwhile, stents hurt and the heartburn is awful!

Oh WOW! You just scared the heck outta me!! I thought I was safe now! :-/

so sorry this has happened to you. My surgeon had told me pre op that leak can occur as far out at six months. I am a little over three months out and do worry about that. I hope your feeling well soon.

Glad you are on the road to recovery. I'm having surgery on May 6th as a self pay patient so stories like this scare the s*&^ out of me! Hope you heal quick

Very scary!!! Get well soon thoughts are with you and a speedy recovery.

Oh my! I was sleeved the same day as you...didn't have a hernia repair but they removed my gallbladder. I hope it is smooth sailing from here on out for you! Thanks for posting!

-Kendra

thanks for the well wishes! Leaking this late in the game definitely stumped my health care team, and I think if we'd waited another month for the hernia repair I might have had a different outcome. But that's all in hindsight!

For the record, this is only the second leak my surgeon has ever had!

Can totally identify. I had a leak immediatley after surgery 2/26 and it caused 3 large abscesses my fever spiked to 106 and I went septic and ended up in icu with 4 drains. Spent 24 days in the hospital. I'm now 8 weeks out. It was a difficult journey and I'm looking forward to my energy level coming back and these side pains to go away. I also have alot of naseua throughout my day. We been get through it!

I'm so sorry to hear what you have been thru! I often hear that a hernia is repaired when having sleeve surgery. Is there any reason why your surgeon didn't repair your hernia with the original surgery?

Sorry to hear you are going through this! It sounds like your team is on top of everything! Hang n there! I have heard stents suck!

I'm so sorry to hear what you have been thru! I often hear that a hernia is repaired when having sleeve surgery. Is there any reason why your surgeon didn't repair your hernia with the original surgery?

Hi Taylokat, the surgeon didn't know there was a hernia until she saw it on the camera during the sleeve surgery. I had no pain with the hernia, in fact I had no idea I had one (it was plugged with fat). The surgeon had to wait for insurance authorization, thus a second surgery.

Hello Friend,

So glad to talk with you today. I am so bummed that you have had this experience. You know my number call or text me anytime.

I am hardly thinking about you. Sending one of healing vibes your way. If I think of anything more that allowed me relief I will text you.

Please rest well!!

If I can do anything let me know.

Best,

Sannah

WTH! What a nightmare. I hope you are doing better. Such an odd thing. I was not aware it was possible to have a leak 4 months out. Take care of yourself. Glad you were observant.

I've read research studies where a patient had a leak 9 months out and at 16 months. For whatever reason, I'm guessing diet, people's stomach don't always heal properly.

Here's a link to the research paper on the 16 month guy: http://www.hindawi.c...gm/2013/136153/