Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on monday! Any last minute advice?

Is there anything you wished someone had told you before you went in?

Any out-of-the-ordinary supplies that you brought with you that came in extra handy?

Any other words of advice or just helpful things to calm my nerves? This is happening very fast and I'm excited but mostly terrified!

One thing I was really glad that I brought with me that I didn't see on any other lists were those disposable face wipes, like the ones you use to take off make up (I like the more expensive ones even when on a budget, bc they feel so much better on your face). My surgeon doesn't let you drink until after your leak test, about 24 hours after surgery, so the wipes made me feel so much better! Also, maybe a long sweater or light, soft jacket to cover up the back of your hospital gown when walking. Awkward to wear two hospital gowns back to front. Also a phone charger for your cell phone and Gas X strips, but everyone recommends those things. :) Wishing you a successful surgery!

***adds face wipes to my hospital bag list*** Thank you TES!

I'm taking listerine strips and biotene mouth spray with me, because I hate having funky mouth taste. Taking my toothbrush and toothpaste as well, obviously, but I'm a habitual gum chewer now so I always want that extra freshness and I know I can't have gum after surgery.

I have some gas-x strips because I've seen them recommended a million times on these boards. But I also like peppermint tea, I've been using it for years to alleviate mild gas and to help with bloating from my period, so I think it'll be useful post-op as well. Plus, it's very crisp and refreshing, which will help with my aforementioned disdain for mouth funk.

And for at home, make sure you have slip on slippers and/or shoes. Bending down won't be pleasant for a while. I'm grateful to be having this in May because HOPEFULLY it will be nice out (although Chicago's weather has been crap lately) so I can go without socks and wear my slip on flats to work. :)

I'm thisclose to getting one of those grabber things... you know, like people with limited mobility use to pick things up or grab things from far away? I've actually wanted one forever, but thought it really represented the epitome of laziness since I'm not handicapped. But I live alone and I worry about having to bend over and pick stuff up (I'm a klutz, I drop stuff allllll the time). Not sure I'll actually invest in one, though.

good luck to you! I'm wishing you a safe and speedy recovery - think only of the big picture. The post op drama will pass soon enough and your new life is about to start! :)

***adds face wipes to my hospital bag list*** Thank you TES!

I'm taking listerine strips and biotene mouth spray with me, because I hate having funky mouth taste. Taking my toothbrush and toothpaste as well, obviously, but I'm a habitual gum chewer now so I always want that extra freshness and I know I can't have gum after surgery.

I have some gas-x strips because I've seen them recommended a million times on these boards. But I also like peppermint tea, I've been using it for years to alleviate mild gas and to help with bloating from my period, so I think it'll be useful post-op as well. Plus, it's very crisp and refreshing, which will help with my aforementioned disdain for mouth funk.

And for at home, make sure you have slip on slippers and/or shoes. Bending down won't be pleasant for a while. I'm grateful to be having this in May because HOPEFULLY it will be nice out (although Chicago's weather has been crap lately) so I can go without socks and wear my slip on flats to work. :)

I'm thisclose to getting one of those grabber things... you know, like people with limited mobility use to pick things up or grab things from far away? I've actually wanted one forever, but thought it really represented the epitome of laziness since I'm not handicapped. But I live alone and I worry about having to bend over and pick stuff up (I'm a klutz, I drop stuff allllll the time). Not sure I'll actually invest in one, though.

good luck to you! I'm wishing you a safe and speedy recovery - think only of the big picture. The post op drama will pass soon enough and your new life is about to start! :)

I used a grabber! I already had one that I had bought my grandma (I kept it after she passed away and I was cleaning out her apartment). It came in really, really handy post-op, especially for doing laundry or if I dropped something. Honestly, it was a few weeks before I felt comfortable doing much bending, and the PA said to be careful with bending bc you don't want to rip your staple line. The listerine strips area great idea, too!

My surgery is Monday too. I'm feeling basically the same way. I'm realizing I should have asked a lot more questions at my pre-op appointment. My best friend is having surgery next month so that kind of helps. But she's using a different hospital and has been told different things. Like-she was old 2 weeks liquid diet and mine said 3 weeks 1200 calories with 2 cheat days then 2 days of liquids. I've also tried powdered Protein and hate it. I ended up stocking up on Naked and Bolthouse Protein drinks. I figure it's better to take in some extra calories than no Protein at all??

You wrote that your taking gas x strips? What for? Should I do that? I was told chewable Vitamins, Calcium citrate and B12. I've heard to take in anywhere from 50-90 grams of protein. What's recommended?

What do all if you recommend we have at home? What should I have ready for my return?

Then maybe I will get one. I do have several people lined up to come by and help me with stuff, so I might not end up needing it. If that's the case, I suppose I could just take it back if I never use it!

I do remember having issues bending over for a long while after my gall bladder surgery. It was the last post op pain to leave me... I felt great about 4-5 days after that surgery, but bending was still tender for over a month. Guess it would be better to spend $20 on a grabber than spend a month in agony every time I drop something...

I like the grabber idea!!

How many weeks has your doctor told you to take off work?

My surgery is Monday too. I'm feeling basically the same way. I'm realizing I should have asked a lot more questions at my pre-op appointment. My best friend is having surgery next month so that kind of helps. But she's using a different hospital and has been told different things. Like-she was old 2 weeks liquid diet and mine said 3 weeks 1200 calories with 2 cheat days then 2 days of liquids. I've also tried powdered Protein and hate it. I ended up stocking up on Naked and Bolthouse Protein drinks. I figure it's better to take in some extra calories than no protein at all??

You wrote that your taking gas x strips? What for? Should I do that? I was told chewable vitamins' date=' calcium citrate and B12. I've heard to take in anywhere from 50-90 grams of protein. What's recommended?

What do all if you recommend we have at home? What should I have ready for my return?

[/quote']

Omg I'm having surgery Monday as well leaving tomorrow for Mexico going by myself very nervous who's doing urs

I live in iowa. I am doing it Des Moines Methodist hospital. Do you get to enjoy the fact that its in Mexico? I always picture people getting to look at the ocean!

My replies must be getting more more annoying because I'm really anxious!

My surgery is Monday too. I'm feeling basically the same way. I'm realizing I should have asked a lot more questions at my pre-op appointment. My best friend is having surgery next month so that kind of helps. But she's using a different hospital and has been told different things. Like-she was old 2 weeks liquid diet and mine said 3 weeks 1200 calories with 2 cheat days then 2 days of liquids. I've also tried powdered Protein and hate it. I ended up stocking up on Naked and Bolthouse Protein drinks. I figure it's better to take in some extra calories than no protein at all??

You wrote that your taking gas x strips? What for? Should I do that? I was told chewable Vitamins, calcium citrate and B12. I've heard to take in anywhere from 50-90 grams of protein. What's recommended?

I love the bolthouse stuff. They do have high carbs, if I remember correctly. try cutting them with Water or almond/soy milk (whatever you prefer) and adding a scoop of unflavored Protein powder (Syntrax makes a good one, you can buy it on amazon.com). That way it will be a flavor you like with less carbs and the same or more protein. The unflavored is undetectable in most stuff, so you can also add it to Soup, yogurt, pudding, crystal light... whatever you want.

gas-x helps with the gasses they pump into you for the surgery. Walking helps a lot with that, too, but using gas-x could speed it along. :) I only think I'll need/use it for the first few post op days, I'm not expecting to need it forever (like how I'll need vitamins).

In addition to the Multivitamin, b12 and Calcium, you might want to get some chewable Fiber supplements and Biotin. Biotin will help your hair from thinning out as you're losing weight.

For at home, I stocked up on gauze, bandages and some hydrogen peroxide because I didn't have much of that already. And I got some Milk of Magnesia, liquid Imodium and extra strength Tums, simply because I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and have to go out and get it.

On my list when I hit the store next week are just some convenience items. Cottonelle wipes (because it might be a little uncomfortable to wipe, so might as well get something that will clean up more effectively), spray on body lotion (because bending/stretching will be hard at first and my skin itches without lotion), and some disposable spoons and cups so I won't have a whole lot of dishes to do. I live alone, so I'm trying to think of anything that will make my life easier because it's gonna be JUST ME getting me through this.

I like the grabber idea!!

How many weeks has your doctor told you to take off work?

2 weeks. I have a desk job. I tried to push him into letting me go back sooner, but he said I'd be doing myself a favor to wait.

I live alone too. Well technically I live with my 10 year old son but he'll be with his dad for at least a week. I'd like to believe he'd wait on me, but I'm pretty sure I'd be the one getting him things.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll definitely check out the biotin-I want to keep as much hair as I can. And thanks for the Protein tip. I've bought 6 smaller tubs of Protein and they all make me gag. On the bright side my best friend who's having surgery in June will take them. I'm always looking for others to try.

I can't believe I'm actually going through with this. My doctor recommended it and I thought-sure whatever insurance will never approve me but yikes here I am. I mean, I know it's going to be great and change my life and my sons life but there is part of me that keeps saying-what the hell are you doing!!!

2 weeks!! See everyone I talk to says 2-4 but my dr wrote my FMLA paperwork for 6 weeks. SIX weeks!!! He said that he want his patients to get used to eating and have energy again. I thought my work would freak out, but they are treating it like they would a maternity leave. So now...I think I'm going to finally watch The Wire. Or we'll-I'm taking Netflix suggestions!

2 weeks!! See everyone I talk to says 2-4 but my dr wrote my FMLA paperwork for 6 weeks. SIX weeks!!! He said that he want his patients to get used to eating and have energy again. I thought my work would freak out, but they are treating it like they would a maternity leave. So now...I think I'm going to finally watch The Wire. Or we'll-I'm taking Netflix suggestions!

I think in a perfect world, I'd like 6 weeks so I can be relatively 'back to normal' before getting back to work. But I also know ME, and I'll get bored. Fast. Not that I love my job so much, but I think about trying to be at home and staring at these walls and trying not to think about food or pain or whatever else would drive me mad. So I'm gonna take 2 weeks and rest, rest, rest; sip, sip, sip; walk, walk, walk and repeat and hope I'll be ready to get back to the grind.

Also, living alone, I just don't have the finances to stop working for that long. I do have disability benefits I could use, but it's really just not enough to cover me. I'd rather get back to my routine. I know the way I am and I just think I'll do better that way. But I know most people would take a 6 week break from work if they could get it!!

And you could take up to 12 weeks if you wanted to with FMLA (if your MD approves). Your job can't say no if the doctor says yes, that's the beauty of FMLA. :)