Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does being a coordinator work?

I've seen several people say they're coordinators, and are less than two months post-op. How does one become a coordinator? What's the incentive/ pay for talking to potential clients? For booking people? I'm not interested (at least atm- never say never lol) in being a coordinator, but just confused at what happens and wondering if it's all on the up and up. I don't mean to offend anyone. I've just never seen a business that uses so many recent clients to gather more business for their service provider, and I'm wondering how knowledgeable coordinators that are six weeks post-op can be, to be advising potential sleevers about their journeys.

I've seen several people say they're coordinators' date=' and are less than two months post-op. How does one become a coordinator? What's the incentive/ pay for talking to potential clients? For booking people? I'm not interested (at least atm- never say never lol) in being a coordinator, but just confused at what happens and wondering if it's all on the up and up. I don't mean to offend anyone. I've just never seen a business that uses so many recent clients to gather more business for their service provider, and I'm wondering how knowledgeable coordinators that are six weeks post-op can be, to be advising potential sleevers about their journeys.[/quote']

Coordinator can range from someone who simply a broker that takes a fee to connect you to a surgeon to a person that handles all of your arrangements for your surgery (typically with exception of air travel). It usually doesn't take long for the non service oriented "coordinators" to get a bad reputatation and leave the business. Being a coordinator really if done properly, is not all that lucrative. Yes, you can make a living at it, but, for the time invested you really need to get your satisfaction from knowing that you are helping people improve their life. If its about money, there are much easier & faster ways.

I had thought the coordinator work FOR the doctor, but discovered that they are more like a travel agent. The number one thing that upsets me, is when they bad mouth surgeons who wont do business with them to their clients. Someone on a private FB group say to a pre-op patient that our Dr was a drug abuser and had nick name of Dr Killer. She also said to check his license as he didnt have one. From what i understand,MX dr

license do not expire.

This lady had so much negative things to say. knew she didn't just research him, she had to hear from her coordinator.

I had a coordinator private msg me when I put my Dr and surgery date in GastricSleeve.com. She said my Dr wasn't good anymore and her Drs were much better. What's funny, is that she was sleeved by my Dr. And months after her surgery, she could only say positive glowing things about him. I'm sure there are honest coordinators out there.

So glad we don't have these coordinators here. Sounds like an awful set up!

so how do you pick the right coordinator?

The best thing is to decide which surgeon you want to use, then choose a coordinator that works with that surgeon & is well reviewed. Some surgeons do employ their own coordinator so if you choose one of those surgeons then you won't have any other options on which coordinator to use. Do you have any certain surgeon in mind?

As in any industry, there are good ones and bad ones. You want to make sure the surgeon you desire to go with is a reputable, well-educated one and that the coordinators representing him/her have a good reputation. You also want to make sure the coordinators are knowledgeable about the surgeon and the surgeries they offer. They should be able to answer any questions you may have, and if they don't have the answer be up front about it, research it and get back with you. You need to feel comfortable that they are there to not just make a buck (although yes, even coordinators need to make a living), but because they genuinely care about people and are passionate about helping them achieve their weight loss goals.

Sent from my iPad using VST