Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having my surgery in May 6th. I'm a single mother and don't have any family in my area.

I made arrangements for a friend to say with me post op but its looking like they won't be able to take off work. Realistically can I drive my three year old to school 4 days post op or will I be in too much pain. I know there is a two week driving restriction but Life doesn't stop because of surgery.

I had very little pain and drove after 6 days. I could've driven sooner. But I waited til my 1 week post op visit. You'll be fine. Good luck.

They don't want you to drive because of the pain medicine. If you do not need pain meds you should be good to go. But check with doctor first.

I was also only restricted until I was off pain meds. As long as you don't need to lift your child into a carseat, it should be ok. But definitely check with your doctor first.

I'm having my surgery in May 6th. I'm a single mother and don't have any family in my area.

I made arrangements for a friend to say with me post op but its looking like they won't be able to take off work. Realistically can I drive my three year old to school 4 days post op or will I be in too much pain. I know there is a two week driving restriction but Life doesn't stop because of surgery.

Luvlvnlyfe5, just be careful. I was restricted from driving for a week. I'm post op 10 days. I did have any complications but ur body is still in the healing process. 10 days out and I still have trouble getting in and out of a car on the passengers side. I haven't driven yet. You will notice ur energy level will be different so just listen 2 your body. Life goes on but u want ur sweet babies and urself 2 be safe as well.

Thanks everyone. I have my PAT next week so I will be sure to ask dr but its good to know if necessary I can do it. :-)

My bariatric doctor told me no driving for 4 to 6 weeks ~ WHAT????!!!!!! I can't imagine my life being crippled like that, as well as that of my children! I'm hoping for summer surgery so don't have to worry how the school schedule factors in but my older son, if he doesn't have his driver's license by the time I have my surgery, I'll have to drive him to work on the 6th day after surgery. My surgeon only does Mon & Tues surgery & my husband is taking a week off for me so I'll be left with the kids on the following Monday.

I looked on your profile to see where you live but it's not listed. If you're in the Metro Detroit area, near Lakeside Mall, I can help you. I know the feeling of being alone. We don't have anyone here either. It stinks when you need help because the saying is true, no man is an island. :(

Good luck to you sweetie.

I had no complications, and I did have my gall bladder removed at the same time, but I would not recommend endangering yourself like that so soon after surgery. I would honestly wait until you are out of pain. For me this was 10 days.

Maybe another mom won't mind taking your kids to school with hers for a week. Maybe you can keep your 3y old at home (I had mine after the 4th day post-op, I have 4 boys! it wasn't great, but it was doable). You can do this if you don't want to postpone (no one would), but please don't plan to drive. Some of us take longer to heal.

My bariatric doctor told me no driving for 4 to 6 weeks ~ WHAT????!!!!!! I can't imagine my life being crippled like that' date=' as well as that of my children! I'm hoping for summer surgery so don't have to worry how the school schedule factors in but my older son, if he doesn't have his driver's license by the time I have my surgery, I'll have to drive him to work on the 6th day after surgery. My surgeon only does Mon & Tues surgery & my husband is taking a week off for me so I'll be left with the kids on the following Monday.

I looked on your profile to see where you live but it's not listed. If you're in the Metro Detroit area, near Lakeside Mall, I can help you. I know the feeling of being alone. We don't have anyone here either. It stinks when you need help because the saying is true, no man is an island. :(

Good luck to you sweetie. [/quote']

You are so sweet! I'm in the philadelphia area but I would take you up on the offer and do the same for you. It really does suck not having family around.

You are so sweet! I'm in the philadelphia area but I would take you up on the offer and do the same for you. It really does suck not having family around.

Hey luv where in Philly area r u

Bellanthin I'm in the northeast almost Bucks County. Where are you? I am truly blessed my girlfriend from MD has agreed to come up for my surgery!!!!

You can't pick your family but be sure to pick good friends!!!!!!!!

I drove 4 days post op. just take it easy.

I had surgery on Monday and drove myself to work yesterday. However, I did not take any pain meds until later in the day after I was home. The pain as far as the surgery site for me was realtive none, just had alot of trouble with the gas the first two days after that is was really easy. I returned to lite work yesterday and was just fine.

A lot of people won't need pain meds and its perfectly safe to drive if you're not on pain meds other than OTC types. If you feel like driving then do. You wil be sore, but it's manageable.

Bellanthin I'm in the northeast almost Bucks County. Where are you? I am truly blessed my girlfriend from MD has agreed to come up for my surgery!!!!

You can't pick your family but be sure to pick good friends!!!!!!!!

Delware county clifton heights 20minutes from south philly