Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Check-In and Update...

Hello all -

Wanted to give you all a LONG OVERDUE shout-out and update on my progress.

I began my journey at 285 (recorded weight 1 week prior to pre-op diet). I was sleeved on 11/13/12.

This morning I weighed 215 pounds. I have lost 70 POUNDS in FIVE months. I can hardly believe it, even as I am writing this.

I went from a size 22/24 to a size 16. Regular stores size 16, not the avenue or lane bryant size 16 which hang on me like a tent.

My BMI has gone down 12 entire points.

I eat on average 600-800 calories per day. This is way up from the 300-400 I was only able to eat for the first 3 months or so.

For the past month I finally started to follow my dr. recommended low-carb diet and eat about 60/40% ratio protein/fat. After 3 weeks eating this way, I noticed my hair stopped shedding and is back to being glossy, thick and shiny again!!! Yea! My energy levels have SKYROCKETED. In case you are interested, I am following Dr. Atkins (basically induction of less than 20 carbs/day). My weight loss not only increased - I am losing inches more rapidly too. My blood/lab work is coming back THE BEST IT HAS EVER BEEN. My doctors are my own personal cheerleaders.

I cannot wait to keep going on this journey. 199 - here I come!!!

I wish everyone here success, health and happiness on their own journeys.

Woohoo!!! you are doing awesome.

Congrats and thank you for letting us know what to expect down the road it's soo helpful for a newbie like me.

You are amazing and I love your positive attitude. Keep up the good work!!!

Would you mind sharing your daily menu?

Wow, so inspiring! I can't wrap my head around losing that much weight at all, much less in that amount of time. I pray I have similar results!

Nice job! Keep up the great work :)

2013SleeveGirl -

For almost a month after my surgery I didn't really "eat" anything. :) . It was just drinking liquid protien shakes and broth. I dropped about 30 pounds. But of course my stomach was healing. When I moved to pureed foods I ate mashed potatoes with gravy and creamed Soups. My family and friends called me the mashed potato queen. I really only ate like that for about 3 weeks. For months 3-4 I could eat basically anything I wanted (my stomach healed VERY quickly according to my doctor).

BUT. I found myself drifting back to old bad habits. I found myself grazing constantly. I found I was eating all the time, however, it was such tiny amounts. Like 1-2 saltine crackers, or a handful of parmesan goldfish, or 1/2 slice of sandwich bread. Maybe a bite or two of Pasta. I would get "full" and then not eat again for a couple of hours and then eat again. When I actually started to tally how much food I was eating, I was shocked. I was barely eating 200-300 calories in an entire day. ONE Protein shake should have had that many calories. My hair began "shedding" (to put it nicely) and believe it or not, my weightloss SLOWED.

My nutritionist explained that I was "normal" and that most patients experiment with different ways of eating while they are adjusting to their sleeve. But she said that, of course in the long run, I was doing more harm than good to my body by not giving me the nutrients it needs to stay healthy. She encouraged me to try low-carb (higher Protein & fat) diet for 2 weeks to see if it would speed up my weight loss and stop my hair shedding and other problems I was having.

I bought the Dr. Atkins book and tried it out. That was about 4 weeks ago. I am losing 1/2 pound per day. I am literally shrinking. I am up to about 600-800 calories per day, but of wholesome, nutritious, unprocessed foods.

Here is a typical day:

Breakfast - 1 harboiled egg and 1/4 cup cottage cheese or greek yogurt or 1 slice lean turkey w/ 1 slice lean cheese

(Even now it takes me about 1 hour to eat this. I chew slowly so not to overill my sleeve and get chest pains)

lunch - a slice or two of lean ham w/ a few olives and roated peppers (think antipasto platter), or my current favorite a 3/4 - 1 cup of chicken caesar salad.

dinner - is usually a couple of homemade meatballs or small (about 2oz.) hamburger patty, or 1 roasted chicken leg topped with ranch or guacamole (for added fat), sauteed cabbage or mashed cauliflower (instead of potatoes).

I enjoy 2-3 Snacks per day: 1 teaspon of Peanut Butter (it takes me a long time to eat... :D ) or 2-3 olives, about 5 pistachios or cashews, or 1/2 ounce of cheese.

These foods fill up my sleeve just as effectively as the crackers or Pasta or bread did, but they are so much more calorically nutriently dense now. And I am adding much needed healthy fats. I feel like my body has become a furnace now. :wub: Sorry if this post is somewhat long winded.... I am hoping this helps anyone who may be struggling or stalling in their journeys and can find it helpful to see if it might work for them too.