Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperately seeking advice

at this point you should be getting your Protein from food. protein supplements should be rare, you are too far along for that. You didn't give us any idea of what you are eating day to day so its kind of hard to say but I would imagine if you are not getting your protein in that you are probably filling your stomach with other things that should be secondary to protein.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. I don't think I am getting enough Protein...I think I will cut out all carbs for now and just concentrate on my Protein and drinking Water.

I will also take the advice about switching up my workouts...and try some cardio.

I really hope this works...it's very tough to see the scale stuck in the same position.

You guys are awesome !! I can't tell you how much it means to me to have somewhere to go to vent. :)

Carbs are empty calories... If you are wasting space in your tiny tummy with carbs your body will hold onto those carbs and store them as fat/sugar. The best way to avoid eating those carbs and starches is to not buy them in the first place. Make meal plans for your week and only buy what you need for those meals so you aren't tempted! Focus on eating nutrient rich foods such as lean Proteins and veggies.

Cardio will definitely help you see some results but keep in mind that the pounds will come off in waves. You will stall periodically but if you check your results over several weeks time your loss should average out. Of course that's all if you stay on track!

I would also recommend looking for a support group to attend and you can learn a lot from the patients you meet there. it helps to have someone you know in person going through the same things! Good luck to you!

I agree with nursegrace you should be getting your Protein mostly from food. My surgeon told me at 8 weeks he wanted me getting as much protein from food as possible and using a Protein Shake as a last resort no more than 1x daily. I notice I don't do as well with getting in all my protein when I ignore the protein first rule idk if that is what you are doing. I find that the 5-6 mini meals works best for me as I can still only manage 1-2 ones of meat at a time. I tend to rely on healthier deli cold cuts and 0% Greek yogurt when I am in a hurry and I also eat nuts occasionally.

at this point you should be getting your Protein from food. Protein supplements should be rare' date=' you are too far along for that. You didn't give us any idea of what you are eating day to day so its kind of hard to say but I would imagine if you are not getting your protein in that you are probably filling your stomach with other things that should be secondary to protein.[/quote']

My info from Kaiser contradicts this. We were advised to plan on using protein drinks/bars for life to supplement our protein intake. Check with your caregivers. They know your individual medical history and can advise you on what is right for you.

My info from Kaiser contradicts this. We were advised to plan on using Protein drinks/bars for life to supplement our protein intake. Check with your caregivers. They know your individual medical history and can advise you on what is right for you.

I too am a Kaiser patient. My surgeon said I would be drinking at least one protien shake per day for life. So I would agree contact your surgeons office.

I am getting so discouraged !! I had VSG in mid January and I have been at a stall for about 2 months !!

I lost 21lbs pre op and have only lost 14lbs post op. I have lost some inches but come on....

I did self pay in Mexico so I don't have anyone to follow up with. I met with a local Nut but she wasn't much help, she didn't want me to drink any Protein shakes but get all my Protein in from food alone. I explained that there is no way I can eat that much in a day....fell on deaf ears.

I am really hoping some of the seniors on here can guide me in the right direction...PLEASE !! I am getting so desperate. If I have to I will stop eating food and just go back to liqueds...it was a difficult transition for me the first go around....with my tummy and the bathroom (nuff said).

I do moderate excercise...walking mostly.

I appreciate any help/advice I can get.

Thanks all and have an awesome day !!

Good morning! First, before I despense any advice.....my two cents worth.....look back on what you have accomplished so far!! On average, 14 lbs since mid January is approx 5 lbs per month. That said.....I will tell you my story.

I've lost about 83 lbs total, 23 prior to surgery. That leaves 60 lbs I lost post op. I reached MY goal (5 lbs under Dr. D's) in six months. Dr. Davidson's nurse said I was a little rigid :) - but it worked or me. I was very strict with myself until I reached goal. I still WORRY about gaining it all back, but in reality, I am eating like a naturally thin person. At least I think I am. I don't ever want to get complacient and stop worrying, not crazy worry, but it keeps me aware of everything I put in my mouth. It is a choice, I do not mindlessly eat now days.

For the first six months nothing sweet or fried passed my lips, not one time, NOTHING. Now though, I do eat sweets, but I do not over do, I will eat a few french fries, but it's rare and when I say a few, I mean five or six.

I make choices, and if I am going to have a piece of cake at church, I will cut out a snack or two that day. I made 'choices' before, but it was all about portions, I ate too much for too long. Now, with no real hunger, I find it much easier to walk away and resist when I know I should.

Now I'll list the things that I think have made this wild ride sucessful (so far) for ME.

I have been logging my food on line since the beginning.

I still weigh and/or measure all my food when I am at home. Eye balling it when out is more of a challenge, but I have gotten pretty good at it.

I weigh every single morning. Dr. Davidson recommends it, accurately saying, it is easier to lose 2 or 3 lbs than it is to lose 8 or 10 lbs. That is true and I don't know about you, but I can gain 8 or 10 lbs or more....in a month!!

I try and under eat my sleeve, which is best. Early on my caloric intake was LOW. At 3 months I was eating between 450 and 550 calories per day, but I made them count. When losing, I never went over 800 calories per day. Now I maintain at between 1200 and 1350 calories a day. My labs were good, I felt great and other than a couple short stalls, I lost weight consistantly.

I started getting all my protein via food at 2.5 months. I keep a bag of frozen shrimp on hand all the time, I still try and have it around. It goes down easy and is high in protein. You can just 'thaw it out' or steam it. I always dip it a little in cocktail sauce. eggs, 1% cottage cheese and tuna fish were, and still ARE things I keep around. From the very beginning I started and ended every day with a cup of skim milk. I keep glass glasses in the freezer so I can have it iced cold!!! The milk gives me 18 grams of protein every day!

When I ran into problems with a stall, I'd up the protein and Water. I mean seriously up the protein, it always got everything kick started again!!!!

If you don't measure and weigh your food and if you're not logging, think about starting. You'd be surprised how easy it is to go over what you should, calorie wise. Something stuck with me at a recent support group at Baylor.....an additional 100 calories per day, every day is over 36,000 calories per year, which equals about 10 lbs. Think about how little 100 calories is!!! That is HOW I gained the weight, a few lbs one year, five the next. Then two......little enough to where I would just accept it. I didn't just wake up fat, it happened over years!!!! Anyway, good luck, you will lose weight, but you need to be diligent, pay attention to what you are doing. Our honeymoon stage is the easiest time for our weight loss.

If I had to drink one Protein drink for life, I'd continue to lose weight from throwing up. I hated them, I switched to the nasty little Protein 'bullets' or 'shots' early on. Just as bad as the shakes, but only 3.5 oz. A few sips in the morning, a few at noon and finish it up at night, and I got 42 grams of protein.

Some say the protein isn't 'as good' as the whey powder, but it worked for me. I never lost my hair and that was goal #2. Number one was to lose weight! Mission accomplished! These little jewels saved me, I could hold my breath and take a few sips, rinse my mouth out with Water and it was over. With the shakes, it would take me three hours to finish one, it's would "GROW" - I am sure of it!!!! LoL

Dr. Davidson wants his patients off shakes and getting all protein from food as soon as possible.

My info from Kaiser contradicts this. We were advised to plan on using Protein drinks/bars for life to supplement our Protein intake. Check with your caregivers. They know your individual medical history and can advise you on what is right for you.

Kaiser may advise this but it is not absolutely necessary to drink Protein drinks IF and only IF you can get all your protein from food.My experience with Kaiser (I did clinicals there for nursing school)is that sometimes they do things a little different.I would definitely take Protein shakes if I was not getting enough from food but just about every nurse,doc, or nutritionist I have talked to has said it is best to get it from real food if possible and it makes sense to me.

I think you should log your intake for a solid two weeks... have 4-6 minimeals a day.

I bet that the answer will be clear to you once you have the facts in front of you.

You might decide to keep logging to help you stay on course for your new approach.

Eating too little can also cause losses to stop. Eating high protein/low carb will help maximize your losses.

Exercise DOES help - it changes the body in ways beyond the calories burned.

drink alot of Water

Don't panic about the stalls. They break eventually. I've had stalls that lasted several months, but when they break, I lose.

I hadn't lost any weight since Dec. 23 until three days ago. In the last 3 days, I've lost 3.5 pounds. I didn't give up, and I just kept doing what I was supposed to be doing (exercising and eating right). Eventually, it works.

This losing weight isn't a race, and I've found that my body doesn't always drop weight like the "math" claims it should. But eventually it gets with the program, and the weight comes off. Trust in that.

If you do what you are supposed to do, the weight will come off even when it seems like it never will.