Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperately seeking advice

I am getting so discouraged !! I had VSG in mid January and I have been at a stall for about 2 months !!

I lost 21lbs pre op and have only lost 14lbs post op. I have lost some inches but come on....

I did self pay in Mexico so I don't have anyone to follow up with. I met with a local Nut but she wasn't much help, she didn't want me to drink any Protein Shakes but get all my Protein in from food alone. I explained that there is no way I can eat that much in a day....fell on deaf ears.

I am really hoping some of the seniors on here can guide me in the right direction...PLEASE !! I am getting so desperate. If I have to I will stop eating food and just go back to liqueds...it was a difficult transition for me the first go around....with my tummy and the bathroom (nuff said).

I do moderate excercise...walking mostly.

I appreciate any help/advice I can get.

Thanks all and have an awesome day !!

Can you share your current food intake? What does your typical day's menu look like?

I hit a stall and this is what my Dr. told me. eat no more than what you can fit in one cup each meal for the first year. keep your calorie intake @ 1000 calories a day. I was doing mostly walking... so she said to change up the exercise... do cardio but add in some resistance stuff.....squats, sit ups etc. I did what she said and the stall broke in 2 days. She said basically you have to shock your body out of it. She was very clear I needed to drink 2 protien shakes a day for the first year. Hope this helps.. Best Wishes

I can imagine the frustration. Do you track your daily food intake via MyFitnessPal or something similar?

A few things recommended to me by my NUT... Aim for 800-1000 calories a day, at least 70-80 gr of Protein, low fat, low carb. Get in at least 64 oz a day, I average at least 80oz.

My NUT wanted me off the shakes as soon as I was cleared for all foods, and it was hard getting in all the protein initially, but now I get it in easily. On my last visit, for my 3 month followup, she suggested adding more Fiber to my diet, I added in a bowl of Fiber One Cereal if not every day, then at least most days. I had found some High Protein Bars that I enjoy, but my NUT wants me to limit them to one a day and get in more "real food"

I can only speak for myself, but I think Tracking absolutely gives you a better big picture of what's going on.

We can be at 1000 calories, but if 200grams of that is Carbs, then I can't imagine doing too well. Another aspect I like for My Fitness Pal is that you can view other's food diary's (if they allow) for menu ideas .

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get some great help and support here.

I had surgery Jan 28th. I stalled at about 2 wks for 2-3 wks. I upped my calories and and broke my stall. I journal everything I eat and drink. I drink a Protein Drink every morning for Breakfast and eat the rest of my Protein. I aim for 95g of protein a day. I don't have a problem getting in my liquid. I was giving a binder at my first appointment with the surgeon. I got a diet plan about 2wks before surgery describing in detail what I should be eating as my diet progressed. It still says to use Protein Shakes daily. I also started using My fitness Pal on April 2nd. I love it, but I still journal in a journal for my dietition. I have my 1st post surgery appointment with her on Monday. PM me if I can help you in andy way.

I am 3 weeks out......... and I am stalled right now.... the scale has not moved for about 1 week. I exercise, I have healthy Protein meals 2-3 oz.. try to drink all my Water, fall short of a few ounces..... and I am stalled.... just hang in there, try to eat simple protein meals like grilled shrimp or grilled chicken or fish with simple steamed veggies, supplement with Protein Shakes or soups.... I am not a nutritionist but I have been dieting all my life, I feel when we start this journey, we really should not complicate our meals so soon. stay away from processed food like pre made frozen store brought grilled chicken, these foods have a lot of sodium and you will retain soooo much water. I hope my stall and yours will pass soon !!!bodyweight.png?ts=1366293737

Another thing is I faithfully measure or weigh my food. I still eat around 1/2 c. I have ate just under 1 c of food 1 time with no problem. I like to stay at no more than a 1/2 c. it makes me feel in control. Goodluck.

Hi, I would suggest to start doing cardio work out.

I notice myself that I start looking weight after i start doing elliptical. I start with only 5 min per day. I know sound funny but I wasn't exercise person at all before surgery.

so as soon as doctor gave me green light at 4th week to do work out. I bought myself elliptical and step on it. It was terrible.

after 5 min barely walking I step off it and fall on my bed thinking I would die... ( really) but I continue doing that 5 min per day. when I feel that I am not dying anymore from 5 min I increase time to 10 min. and my advise. WATCH something when you do it. it help. at least it helped me. now I am crazy person with my elliptical. I can stay up to 90 min at once. and sometimes step on it 2x a day. you will see that your weight will go down after you start doing cardio.... Good Luck.

Maybe just get back to basics. Without specific direction it is tough, so here are some of my guidelines to think about.

Daily Calories - 800-1000

Fat - at little as possible

Carbs - under 50g/daily

Protein - 70g daily (Whey powder, no flavor is good to boost foods up)

I cannot see why Protein shakes are off limits - I use powder and skim milk to make high Protein Shakes daily.

Sugars - as low as possible. sugar free Jello, pudding drinks like crystal light.

No fruits - they are sugary.

Exercise and patience and routine. Find some things that fit with the above that you like, then shop for the week and plan out what you will have for the week. then adjust as you likes and dislikes change.

Drink Water.

I hope this helps. Also there is a chat on this forum and there are always people in there to give immediate answers.

I had over a 7 week stall plus I'm an extremely low loser. I don't sweat it because I know I'm eating right and I'm a lot healthier. That was my main goal. If it's something that's really bothering you, I suggest try everything the others suggest :D

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. I don't think I am getting enough Protein...I think I will cut out all carbs for now and just concentrate on my Protein and drinking Water.

I will also take the advice about switching up my workouts...and try some cardio.

I really hope this works...it's very tough to see the scale stuck in the same position.

You guys are awesome !! I can't tell you how much it means to me to have somewhere to go to vent. :)

Maybe just get back to basics. Without specific direction it is tough' date=' so here are some of my guidelines to think about.

Daily Calories - 800-1000

Fat - at little as possible

Carbs - under 50g/daily

Protein - 70g daily (Whey powder, no flavor is good to boost foods up)

I cannot see why Protein shakes are off limits - I use powder and skim milk to make high Protein Shakes daily.

Sugars - as low as possible. sugar free Jello, pudding drinks like crystal light.

No fruits - they are sugary.

Exercise and patience and routine. Find some things that fit with the above that you like, then shop for the week and plan out what you will have for the week. then adjust as you likes and dislikes change.

Drink Water.

I hope this helps. Also there is a chat on this forum and there are always people in there to give immediate answers.[/quote']

My meal plan is very similar to this. At 2 months I only had 600 calories and 20-30 g of good carbs per meal. I.e. fresh fruits and veggies, things like applesauce with no sugar added. My Protein was basically the same 60-80g. As dieters we are incorrectly taught that Less is More. That is true with bad food. Sugars, starches, fat, but not true with protein or good carbs. Not eating enough protein, fruits and veggies for Fiber will cause your body to go into starvation mode. It produces Ghrelin and Cortisol even after surgery to make you hungry and slow your metabolism in an effort to protect itself. That is what causes stalls or plateaus. As for protein shakes, Kaiser encouraged them. That was all I ate in the beginning and I still have one or 2 a day. I use Premier Protein from costco for Breakfast. It has 30g of Protein. I also use nectar powder which is 10-23g depending on the flavor. These are available at The Vitamin Shoppe, Bariatric Advantage.com or My bariatric pantry.com as well as other places. You should be eating either 3 meals and 2 Snacks or 5 equally sized SMALLER meals a day. Eating at regular intervals is just as important as what you are eating. Good luck!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. I don't think I am getting enough Protein...I think I will cut out all carbs for now and just concentrate on my Protein and drinking Water.

I will also take the advice about switching up my workouts...and try some cardio.

I really hope this works...it's very tough to see the scale stuck in the same position.

You guys are awesome !! I can't tell you how much it means to me to have somewhere to go to vent. :)

You got this.... you will snap the stall.... i personally stay away from all starch items.... I focus on protein and veggies, occasionally I will have fruit every 2 weeks or so. If I have a fruit craving I will have some. I make sure to have at least 70 grams of protein per day..... have a great day!

Canadianchick I make sure I have 2 protien shakes a day.... My meals are 2 to 3 oz of meat & 1/4 cup of veggies or fruit. Usually I eat fruit once every few weeks. I eat 3 meals a day. Hope this helps!