Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start to feel "normal" again?

I know the first months are going to be tough. But when did you feel normal again. I mean, not having to think about every little thing you put in and worrying it was going to get stuck or come right back up.

When could you go out to dinner and order a meal? (I realize you wouldn't finish it, but still!)

Basically, at what point do we leave the learning stage and go on to the living stage?

I know many people who are 6+ months out basically say "I can eat what I want but less of it".

Wow that's a loaded question..

"Normal"

I am 5 months, do I feel normal yet? Yes and no

There is that tired old saying about a

"new normal"

So I guess I will use that.

At 1 month out I felt more back to myself health wise.

At five months I'm at a better place health wise but its so very different from before.

There are days (like this morning) where I'm a little (Not much) queasy. Other days eating is no problem and I can eat as normal as can be.

Oh and I am still learning or at least trying to, everyday.

I'm not sure that it ever becomes something that you don't have to think about again :)

Yep.. Loaded question. Normal is different for everyone. (like, I've always thought I was a normal person, but a lot of people would disagree)

Once I was on normal foods I ordered (and always have) from the childrens menu or seniors. Doesn't matter your age.. No one is going to argue with you. I've done it all my life and never had an issue. Now, what was the question?

Oh, yeah.. For me nothing gets stuck nor do I vomit. I feel full so I know to stop. At the worst I get hic ups if I push it just a little far. I felt the new normal living within a couple months.

Congrats on the VSG!!!

I was sleeved Dec 11 2012. I felt cloudy for around 9 weeks. Hard to explain fuzzy a little not quite as sharp. I had a friend tell me that even the way I walked had changed like I was in slow motion. I had no real pain to mention of at all. I just felt kind of not myself. I have read that there are some studies right now that this is a normal feeling that can last up to 3 months. The studys are speculating the change in blood chemistry and the lack of gerhlin n the blood may have some short term cognitive issues. Hope this helps

JP

For me the sweet spot in time frame was 8 month out. I didn't have to think about my portion size, cold liquids didn't bother me anymore. It all just became natural for me. from portion size, to bit size to gulp size.

I would say around 3 months I felt like I got this thing down. Cold liquids bothered me for the first 3 months and now they dont. Although it is a strange sensation feeling the cold liquids go into the tummy and filling it up. Ive not experienced any foods that I couldnt tolerate but then I havent tried every food that I used to eat either. Ive not thrown up once and only felt nauseous for a few days after surgery but nothing like the first day. Ive had food get stuck once, it was painful, it sucked, I wont do it again. I just took too large of a bite. I get full very very fast, only a couple ounces and Im done. If I push it, I get the hiccupps and thats my warning system. I can drink just as much and as fast as I used to so hydrating is not an issue at all. Good luck with everything.

I'm gonna go against the grain here. I'm 7 weeks out as of yesterday and I feel normal. I'm back to being active, and I don't worry about what I eat, I've changed my lifestyle to surround myself with good, wholesome, nutritional foods and I know my tolerance levels. I don't stuff myself anymore, been there, done that, no thank you. My recovery has been a freaking breeze.

I'm gonna go against the grain here. I'm 7 weeks out as of yesterday and I feel normal. I'm back to being active, and I don't worry about what I eat, I've changed my lifestyle to surround myself with good, wholesome, nutritional foods and I know my tolerance levels. I don't stuff myself anymore, been there, done that, no thank you. My recovery has been a freaking breeze.

That's not against the grain of what I said... I was eating normal once I started solid food.. About 2 months. I feel so fortunate that I have no issues or set backs. I hope this for everyone

*does a Lil' happy dance* :D

I'm five weeks out and I'm not "normal" yet because I can't yet have seeds citrus or my glorious fresh pressed vegetable juices... but other than that, Yeah, I'm eating all other foods normally, just in smaller portions. I can throw back nearly a cup of Water at a go if I want to.

I don't do Cereal grains with the exception of oats. That's a personal choice based on my own food sensitivities unrelated to the sleeve. I know those are things that can give people problems even when they're further out but since those things are off the menu anyway it's maybe easier to feel normal.

I have not slimed or had anything come back up or anything.. I did have a few times where I ate a bit too much and felt pressure in my tummy, but I just laid down and it passed. I pretty much think of my choices in terms of nutritional value rather than how it will set in my sleeve.. my sleeve pretty much loves everything so it doesn't dictate my choices!

I'm almost 6 months out, and I still don't feel "normal". Going out to eat and eating in public settings is no problem. But the daily focus of getting in my Protein and fluids - sometimes I just feel exhausted! I saw my NUT today, and she wants me to incorporate more carbs into my diet, maybe that will help me energy wise. I will say that this is truly a journey, and there is much emotional work involved. Whew!

I am a bit over four months out, I do not feel like my old self. A bit more introverted and tired sometimes, but overall good. I have noticed the energy is coming back with a vengeance. The more I workout, the better I feel.

I am a bit over four months out, I do not feel like my old self. A bit more introverted and tired sometimes, but overall good. I have noticed the energy is coming back with a vengeance. The more I workout, the better I feel.

Agree 100%

I felt 1000 times better ...on my 3rd week out...by my dr/nut's diet guidelines - I was able to eat a scrambled egg & piece of whole wheat toast - it wasn't exactly normal, but I felt so much better.

I am 5 months out and I would have to say I am starting to feel normal. But, my old normal is not the same as my new normal. I still get nauseated and I have to weigh/measure my food and keep track of my Protein. I'm still struggling with energy, just had my b shot at the doctors today. I'm just now able to start exercising, going to start swimming tomorrow. I also feel that by one year I may have a new "new normal!"