Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looks like it's going to be Mexico after all. Need help with details!

Well I had a seminar I attended today at a hospital in NC. It did not go well. The price looks to be for self pay 20,000 or so. Also they want 100 dollars to join some personal trainer at a campus where students are physical trainers. That part is required. Also they said I need to do a lot of tests before I can have surgery. It's not worth all the money and waiting. I want to go to Mexico!

I need details on where to go in Mexico. First do I need a passport. I'm looking into getting a passport card, just hope I can find my birth certificate. Also how long was everyone in Mexico for? I wouldn't mind getting there the day before surgery, then staying of course that day, but how long after surgery until I can leave?

Second - do I need any letters from my doctor? I hope not because I don't have a current doctor. I only see my obgyn and go to urgent care if I'm sick.

Third - where did you fly too? It seems most of you flew within the states, then a van met you and drove you across the border. If I go, I plan on going by myself. My husband told me today my money, my decision. I was shocked! Now I'm scared lol! I really want to do this and save money, but am I risking my life?

I am four weeks postop from surgery in Mexicali with Dr. Aceves. You arrive the day b4 surgery for preop testing and stay in the hotel Lucerna. The next day is surgery day and you spend 3 nights in the hospital. They will transport you from the San Diego airport to Mexicali and back. Also to the hotel and Almater Hospital.

You need at least a passport card to get back to the USA.

Dr. Aceves is wonderful. He's been doing Bariatric surgeries for 15+ years. He is apart of FACS and AMBS.

Almater is a full service hospital. He is not the cheapest surgeon but he is worth every dollar.

You don't need letters from your doc. They handle everything directly with you.

I used mexico bariatric center, and had dr, cabrera and valenzula. Surgery at mi doctor. I stayed at the marriot the nights I wasn't in the hospital..sooo nice! I flew home on the 6th day. I didn't have a passport, just my id and birth certificate and was fine. What you need to do is decide on what company and doctor you want to go through. I think there is 4 or 5 , mexico bariatric center, ready 4 change, a lighter me are a few. You will have a coordinator that helps you through ever step of the process. Just make sure you go to a hospital,not a clinic! I would go back to mexico for any surgery.

How do I know for sure I'm going to a hospital and not a clinic? I'm trying to research these websites now. I guess I just need to call them. How did you pay? Over the phone? Did you pay full amount before you went, or just a deposit?

How do I know for sure I'm going to a hospital and not a clinic? I'm trying to research these websites now. I guess I just need to call them. How did you pay? Over the phone? Did you pay full amount before you went' date=' or just a deposit?[/quote']

$500 deposit for Dr. Aceves. Balance due upon arrival. You can pay your deposit over the phone or by mail.

I did not go to Tijuana but I've read that florence, Angeles, and INT are full service hospitals. Mi Doctor is more of a specialty clinic. Jerusalem Hospital is a clinic, in a strip mall.

It seems that in Mexico "hospital" is used liberally.

In Mexicali, Almater is a full service hospital. We WLS patients had our own wing. Both Dr. Aceves other doc, Dr. Campos and the driver Ernesto were WLS patients themselves.

How I did it, was fill out my contact info on the website, then the coorinator will email u. Then u pay your deposit to save your date, mine was 750 but ive read some is 500, then pay the rest when u actually get there by cashiers check. You just have to ask if its a hospital. I've heard not so good things about jerusalem hospital and dr almanza, you want to find a doctor who isn't doing a ton of surgeries per day. Also u need to ask alot of questions and do research.

You have many great surgeons to choose from and many willing to share their WLS stories too.

Make a list of what is most important to you and see which surgeon meets your needs the best.

I am going to MI Doctor in Tijuana Mexico in October 8th. My doctor is Dr. Lopez.

I fly into San Diego(Yes you need a passport) and you meet Abraham who shuttles you through the boarder into Mexico. He drives you to the Marriott hotel, where you stay for the night. The next morning Abraham drives you to Mi Doctor Hospital, you have surgery in the morning or the afternoon..You then recover in a private room, nurses and doctors are great at checking on you and Eduardo is available for all your medical questions/needs. Then, after you go through the leak tests and your cleared to leave the hospital..you go with your drain still in , back to the Mariott...and its another 2 days there, and ive heard you can go sightseeing with others with Abraham..and the last day, Abraham drives you back over the boarder so you can catch your flight at the airport.

You pay your 500$ deposit, pick your date, fill out your medical questionaire and send it to the patient co-ordinator( I have Janese, she is awesome!) and then the rest is due upon arrival.

Dont worry about your doctor and letters , they send you back with all the info regarding your surgery and tests..but make sure you have someone who can check up on you post op a month from surgery, to make sure your all good.

I too went to Dr.Aceves. I actually met Amanda briefly. I did extensive research, spoke to several people personally as well as online.

I'm so tired of battling & waiting on the ins co. It's been 8 months now. I'm considering Mexico myself. Can anyone tell me what the approximate cost is?

I'm so tired of battling & waiting on the ins co. It's been 8 months now. I'm considering Mexico myself. Can anyone tell me what the approximate cost is?

Anywhere between 4k - 10k depending on which surgeon and/or where in Mx. Dr. Aceves is approx $8750.

Anywhere between 4k - 10k depending on which surgeon and/or where in Mx. Dr. Aceves is approx 8750.

That price is airfare not included correct?

That price is airfare not included correct?

Correct. Southwest is reasonable.

Another question lol. How much was your airfare and what website did you go to get the best airfare price?