Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one regret having surgery or not get the results they wanted?

At this point regrets aren't likely worth discussing. :) You've done it and now you move forward and face the new day.

I personally think the time to read and discuss regrets is when you are choosing to have the surgery or not. At that point you can weigh and measure the risks and the outcomes and decide if this is for you or not. After the surgery, focusing on someone else's inability to lose, etc, isn't much help to your battle of the bulge.

For the record, I had severe complications and deeply regret the surgery. Stupidest thing I've ever done in my life (and I do some stupid things on occasion LOL). That said, all I can do is share my experience with others so that they can learn from my mistake and take what they can from it if it applies to them.

On the plus side, for your benefit, I have lost weight and it's pretty easy to do once sleeved. I'm sure you'll do great!!!

I don't necessarily regret mine but it was definitely talked up way more than it should have been. I was under the impression that 600 cal a day would keep me satisfied for like 6 months. Definitely not the case. I'm 7 weeks out and eat over 1000 cals a day and I'm always starving. I have to make myself not eat and deal with the starvation so I do keep losing. It's just like a freakin diet. 4' date='700 dollars for a diet. Apparently my stomach was ginormous before or they sure didn't cut out 85% and people that haven't had this issue are not understanding at all. I hope you get the best out of your sleeve and encounter zero problems.[/quote']

I"m sorry you're struggling :( If it helps maybe we could go back and do a transplant? :P My stomach is too small and I can't get to my goal of 1000 a day even with wine and ice cream.

I have learned a lot about stomachs in my battle. They do come in different sizes and while we might have the same boogie size, that does not mean we all end up with the same size stomach. Some people have very long stomach's so their capacity is going to be higher (sounds like that's you) where as some are very short, (me) and so they end up with a much smaller capacity. Mine is even smaller because of tissue damage and the resulting scar tissue buildup. My road is probably easier than yours because I'm never hungry so I have to set an alarm to eat regularly or I don't get in the minimum. I wish we could magically blend our tummies into one efficient one!

At this point regrets aren't likely worth discussing. :) You've done it and now you move forward and face the new day.

I personally think the time to read and discuss regrets is when you are choosing to have the surgery or not. At that point you can weigh and measure the risks and the outcomes and decide if this is for you or not. After the surgery' date=' focusing on someone else's inability to lose, etc, isn't much help to your battle of the bulge.

For the record, I had severe complications and deeply regret the surgery. Stupidest thing I've ever done in my life (and I do some stupid things on occasion LOL). That said, all I can do is share my experience with others so that they can learn from my mistake and take what they can from it if it applies to them.

On the plus side, for your benefit, I have lost weight and it's pretty easy to do once sleeved. I'm sure you'll do great!!![/quote']

What specifically do you regret? I'm scheduled for Mat 6th. If the goal is to lose and you lost what causes you to regret.

I hope you don't mind me Asking that. Not many people regret the surgery and I want to make sure I've thought of everything before taking this huge step

I hope you don't mind me Asking that. Not many people regret the surgery and I want to make sure I've thought of everything before taking this huge step

No it's a fair question :) I don't mind answering it, but sometimes the backlash for stating my thoughts gets ugly so beware :(

I have lost weight, true, but I have long term lung damage because of the complications I had (which required many holes to be cut into my lungs, my ribs to be spread, etc). The treatments to save my life were excruciatingly painful. I was bedridden for two months, over a month of that in hospital far away from my family. I am now left with a stomach that is too small to allow adequate nutritional intake when I am done with the weight loss period and at that point may need a feeding tube for life to keep me healthy. Feeding tubes come with all kinds of fun risks like infection, slippage, ya da ya da...it's a life long medical condition that I wasn't hoping to achieve by losing weight.

People say they do this surgery to be healthy (the majority say that). I (and many others) do it to be slim, to take the easy route to weight loss. In becoming slim this way I actually ended up making myself not healthy :( Thin/Slim isn't everything. A dear friend of mine just died as a result of a rare complication of RNY. She had a nice small coffin :( I don't think that's what she was hoping to accomplish with her surgery.

I"m sorry you're struggling :( If it helps maybe we could go back and do a transplant? :P My stomach is too small and I can't get to my goal of 1000 a day even with wine and ice cream.

I have learned a lot about stomachs in my battle. They do come in different sizes and while we might have the same boogie size' date=' that does not mean we all end up with the same size stomach. Some people have very long stomach's so their capacity is going to be higher (sounds like that's you) where as some are very short, (me) and so they end up with a much smaller capacity. Mine is even smaller because of tissue damage and the resulting scar tissue buildup. My road is probably easier than yours because I'm never hungry so I have to set an alarm to eat regularly or I don't get in the minimum. I wish we could magically blend our tummies into one efficient one![/quote']

I would so switch you lol except I would never want to go through the leak complication you had to go through. I just wish my hunger would subside because that's why I did the surgery to begin with. I would be doing awesome if I had to set a timer to eat. I'm actually pretty short 5'3 so I don't know why my stomach is apparently so big and Protein makes me sick every time which makes it hard to want that nutrition :/ I wish you the best of luck love and I'm sorry you've had such a hard road

No it's a fair question :) I don't mind answering it' date=' but sometimes the backlash for stating my thoughts gets ugly so beware :(

I have lost weight, true, but I have long term lung damage because of the complications I had (which required many holes to be cut into my lungs, my ribs to be spread, etc). The treatments to save my life were excruciatingly painful. I was bedridden for two months, over a month of that in hospital far away from my family. I am now left with a stomach that is too small to allow adequate nutritional intake when I am done with the weight loss period and at that point may need a feeding tube for life to keep me healthy. Feeding tubes come with all kinds of fun risks like infection, slippage, ya da ya da...it's a life long medical condition that I wasn't hoping to achieve by losing weight.

People say they do this surgery to be healthy (the majority say that). I (and many others) do it to be slim, to take the easy route to weight loss. In becoming slim this way I actually ended up making myself not healthy :( Thin/Slim isn't everything. A dear friend of mine just died as a result of a rare complication of RNY. She had a nice small coffin :( I don't think that's what she was hoping to accomplish with her surgery.[/quote']

This hurts my heart. I'm so sorry to read this. I hope things get easier for you and I'm so sorry about your friend

I think telling your complications is beneficial. I'm struggling with the decision. This was not my own idea. My doctor is recommending it due to other health related issues (lupus, RA, thyroid) he hopes getting the weight off will help with my joints.

They told me to start thinking of whether I want RNY or sleeve and we will discuss it more at my appt on May 8th. I have toyed with the idea for awhile but it wasn't till he wrote a referral that I started to seriously consider it. I don't know what I want to do yet. The complications scare me, but being able to exercise again is a plus. I have only been overweight for 12 years. I know it still sounds like a long time- but most people on here have been overweight since childhood I have noticed.

I personally like knowing the truth from patients- good and bad. It is all fluff and good stuff it gives a false representation of what might really happen

Not one single regret. So happy I had this done. A lot of work pre-op and I will work on this the rest of my life- so worth it. Good luck to all of those considering the surgery.

I'm glad I did it even though I had bad nausea and pneumonia in the hospital for 8 days and home with a Pic line/IV. I'm doing great now, going back to work and can eat just about anything in small amounts (not pasta/bread/rice/lettuce yet). Sleeved on 3/18. I know it's a big decision. Ask yourself can you loose it on your own and keep it off forever. If the answer is no I'd consider this. Also the older one gets the slower the metabolism is and the less food one needs.

I am not sure regret is the word I would use to describe my journey... I was sleeved 1/21. SO excited about my journey, did everything by the book!! Felt little restriction and questioned that but I had to deal with what I was dealt. Began walking, then was in a stall so I started running/walking, still stalled so I began running which I built up and was averaging 10-15 miles a week. I became obsessed with my weight. Journaling, weighing several times a day, graphing caloric intake verses calories burned. After 10 weeks of people telling me be patient you will lose, you have a low BMI, you are in a stall, gave my Nutritionist MFP username and she replied I was doing a great job and to keep up the great work! I had my follow up appointment with my doctor and the office nurse. The doctor came in and was floored that I had only lost 4 pounds in 10 weeks, yes 4 pounds! I felt like he insinuated I was sitting home eating Bon-bons this whole time. I explained my food journal, exercise routine, and FRUSTRATION!! He wanted me to have tests done to see if I stretched my stomach! Then I met with the nurse. She reviewed my bloodwork with me and I was very deficient in Vitamin D and she wanted me to see an endocrinologist. I saw my endocrinologist last Friday and found out my thyroid STOPPED! Just stopped! I am now on thyroid meds. Hoping this helps because I just can't fathom that I have worked so hard and that this surgery isn't working! Is my body really that screwed up?? Has anyone else here had their thyroid stop after surgery? So right now, yes I am disappointed in the results I am getting from surgery. Any advice or similar stories I would really appreciate!!

I think telling your complications is beneficial. I'm struggling with the decision. This was not my own idea. My doctor is recommending it due to other health related issues (lupus' date=' RA, thyroid) he hopes getting the weight off will help with my joints.

They told me to start thinking of whether I want RNY or sleeve and we will discuss it more at my appt on May 8th. I have toyed with the idea for awhile but it wasn't till he wrote a referral that I started to seriously consider it. I don't know what I want to do yet. The complications scare me, but being able to exercise again is a plus. I have only been overweight for 12 years. I know it still sounds like a long time- but most people on here have been overweight since childhood I have noticed.

I personally like knowing the truth from patients- good and bad. It is all fluff and good stuff it gives a false representation of what might really happen[/quote']

Tonya, I want to be clear that I had no weight related issues when I had the surgery, it was basically cosmetic (I was a 35/36...i forget bmi). I'd been heavy only a few years, maybe six or seven? and like you had no history of obesity. I did have a family history of obesity, but they all live to be 100 and fat :P so that's not really a health concern. I'm upfront about my choice, I wanted the easy road to thin for life.

I think if I'd had comorbidities I might not feel the same level of regret that I do. Knowing that you did something to look better verses to lengthen your life does make a difference. One thing I would say is that I researched the heck out of the bypass (RNY) and the sleeve and I think the sleeve is the better choice. Obviously given my friend died from the bypass I'm biased now, but what made me think it wasn't for me was the malnutrition issues (ironic that's an issue for me now huh? LOL) and the inability to eat so many foods...and honestly, drink wine. We're wine collectors and I wasn't giving it up :P The whole dumping syndrome etc, that just freaks me out. With the sleeve I can live a fairly normal life, enjoy almost any foods when eating out or at social events (which we do a lot of) . The malabsorption thing was a major concern because my son was born with that and it's scary. Complication rates on the two are similar, but the long term complication issues are higher with the RNY including kidney failure which is what killed my friend. I sound like I"m pushing you one way or another...I probably am :P But there are positives to the RNY. My big issue with both surgeries is that while complication rates are low, they're on the rise as docs see this as their new bread and butter and the complications are not simple stuff, they're life and death.

I wish you the best in whatever choice you make.

I would so switch you lol except I would never want to go through the leak complication you had to go through. I just wish my hunger would subside because that's why I did the surgery to begin with. I would be doing awesome if I had to set a timer to eat. I'm actually pretty short 5'3 so I don't know why my stomach is apparently so big and Protein makes me sick every time which makes it hard to want that nutrition :/ I wish you the best of luck love and I'm sorry you've had such a hard road

You're a doll :) I hate to read that anyone is having issues, especially when we go through so much to get this silly thing done. That whole stomach size thing is a mystery isn't it? I'm 5' and am told I have a very short stomach (my second doc says he would have used a larger boogie even because it's so short) but here you are at 5'2" and obviously that's not the case for you.

I wonder...are stomachs like boobs? All sizes, not always proportional to our height LOL

You're a doll :) I hate to read that anyone is having issues' date=' especially when we go through so much to get this silly thing done. That whole stomach size thing is a mystery isn't it? I'm 5' and am told I have a very short stomach (my second doc says he would have used a larger boogie even because it's so short) but here you are at 5'2" and obviously that's not the case for you.

I wonder...are stomachs like boobs? All sizes, not always proportional to our height LOL[/quote']

Hahahaha maybe so. I just think my surgeon was too busy lookin at my boobs and forgot to cut my stomach out LOL! It is very upsetting and I feel like every time I ask questions people are judging me so it makes me keep to myself which isn't always a good thing. I only ate 880 cals today which is like my lowest ever and I got all my Protein and Fluid in which is super rare but I did it because everyone expressed how helpful it would be, nope. I'm so starving I have a headache and I feel like I'm gonna pass out. I can't decide whether to eat or just go to bed but this really sucks. I'm glad I didn't have to go through what you went through but I'm sad that I'm going through hell. I'm like you, I did it for an easy way out because I sucked at diets and wanted to be skinny and now it just feels like ill never meet my goal cos I'm so damn hungry all the time.

No it's a fair question :) I don't mind answering it' date=' but sometimes the backlash for stating my thoughts gets ugly so beware :(

People say they do this surgery to be healthy (the majority say that). I (and many others) do it to be slim, to take the easy route to weight loss. In becoming slim this way I actually ended up making myself not healthy :( Thin/Slim isn't everything. A dear friend of mine just died as a result of a rare complication of RNY. She had a nice small coffin :( I don't think that's what she was hoping to accomplish with her surgery.[/quote']

It breaks my heart to read your struggle. Thank you for sharing I'm 35/36 and I'm doing this to avoid health problems as the ,are starting. I was always comfortable with my weigh tand told myself I will lose the weight but never did. I have sleep apnea joint pain and back pain. Although back pain is from a car accident. I will take your struggle to heart and re evaluate my decision. I just want to make sure I'm truly prepared and ready for this.....again thank you