Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good girl/Bad girl....grocery shopping

I found myself completely confused at the grocery store today. Thoughts in my head went like this:

"I need to be buying healthy stuff and start working on losing a little."

"But you still have 8 weeks until surgery...and you are never going to be able to eat the bad stuff again, or don't need to for several, several months...so you better get it now."

"Yeah, but wouldn't it be great to lose a few pounds even before the preop diet starts."

"Didn't you hear me...it's going to be MONTHS before you can have sugar again."

So my cart was the strangest mix. From Protein Shakes to a pint of ben and jerry's to fresh fruits and veggies to nutella (aka crack). Gees. Is anyone else preop going through this weird jacked up, not knowing what to do mind set? I certainly don't want to gain any weight prior to surgery, but I'm really not feeling like jumping on the "get strict now!" band wagon either. :unsure:

It is all, totally, completely up to you.

Hang in there, Rebecca - I try to shop the outside edges of the store as much as I can (hey, that's where the booze is, too... umm, oops!).

There are aisles I do need to shop, though. For example, I use a lot of canned tomatoes, and make Beans from scratch. I use frozen fruits and vegetables when the ones I want aren't in season (or I'm too freaking lazy to cut up an onion...) Since I'm pre-surgery, I do still eat bread, though I do make it whole grain almost all the time. Oh, and if I haven't been able to get to downtown Seattle to my favorite spice store in the world and don't have time to order something I need, I occasionally have to wander down the baking aisle.

I'm trying to put on blinders with regard to the OTHER stuff in those aisles and I'm getting better at it, but it is hard sometimes!

Ok - you recognize all those thoughts!! That is a huge major awesome accomplishment. You understood why you were thinking it and what was motivating you to make your choices. All of that is going to make for a strong VSG journey. Changing our unhealthy "makes you wanna eat" thoughts into healthy thoughts is a big hurdle on the emotional side of the journey. You are on your way there!

Um, the lose weight/make the most of stomach ideas are totally normal!!! I pigged out until I started my pre op diet.

I am so happy someone finally posted about this! "Tour of foods I will miss". Well put. I am struggling with this also! My surgery was just postponed ...I am going to try to rev up the exercise and good food.< /p>

If it is 8 weeks, maybe you set one day during the week when you have a meal or two that are "bad" you have done so great in the past and I am sure you will do awesome as you go, but how good will it feel to take off another 10-20 lbs before surgery... It will put you that much closer to your goal. Just don't go crazy, you would hate to have another 10-20lbs to loose after your surgery.

I found myself completely confused at the grocery store today. Thoughts in my head went like this:

"I need to be buying healthy stuff and start working on losing a little."

"But you still have 8 weeks until surgery...and you are never going to be able to eat the bad stuff again, or don't need to for several, several months...so you better get it now."

"Yeah, but wouldn't it be great to lose a few pounds even before the preop diet starts."

"Didn't you hear me...it's going to be MONTHS before you can have sugar again."

So my cart was the strangest mix. From Protein shakes to a pint of ben and jerry's to fresh fruits and veggies to nutella (aka crack). Gees. Is anyone else preop going through this weird jacked up, not knowing what to do mind set? I certainly don't want to gain any weight prior to surgery, but I'm really not feeling like jumping on the "get strict now!" band wagon either. :unsure:

I totally did that! I had kind of a "last supper" mindset for about 2 weeks before. I had my last Ben & Jerry's, dinner at the Melting Pot (fondue), a burger with onion rings - but I didn't go nuts. In my mind, do what feels right to you - but know you have a long road ahead and eating healthy is going to be key in your recovery and future losses. :)

I totally did that! I had kind of a "last supper" mindset for about 2 weeks before. I had my last Ben & Jerry's, dinner at the Melting Pot (fondue), a burger with onion rings - but I didn't go nuts. In my mind, do what feels right to you - but know you have a long road ahead and eating healthy is going to be key in your recovery and future losses. :)

Ha! My husband and I split a pint of Ben & Jerry's tonight, and Friday night we are going to The Melting Pot (it's our 3rd anniversary dinner). Hilarious!

So glad Im not alone in this train of thought ;) I will get to seriously working on what I eat before my preop diet.

i was told i was not supposed to gain weight while getting ready for surgery. however in the last 5 weeks i was on prednisone twice for unrelated things. which totally makes you hungry and can lead to weight gain.

i am required to track all of my food or the nut. to review. i cannot be cleared for surgery until i can show that i know how to plan healthy balanced meals. i can see that some days i do well, and others i eat like total crap with way too many calories.

when i went for my appt last week i had gained 2.4#. but the nut. didnt say anything. *shrug*

Wow I am so glad this post is here, I should be having surgery in 3-4 weeks, and I cannot stop eating, I want to eat everything I'm sight because I feel like I'm never going to be able to eat it ever again! Ugh

Totally in this boat--or should I say cruise ship? Just got insurance approval today (after six month wait) and, whoa, a six month weight! I'm right there.... I know I need to fly straight, but if I could do that I wouldn't be here in the first place. My. Plan:1) forgive myself. 2) recognize that I want to do this as a way of helping myself to get healthy. 3) do the very best I can between now and surgery so that I feel great after surgery. I've read this forum long enough. To know that you can lose a bunch of prime losing and learning time by getting on the operating table with the muscle consistency of Jello. Go in strong physically. Come out strong mentally. That's my basic plan. You're going to be fine.