Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has the sleeve not worked for you?

I am going on a year post op in a few weeks. Not happy at all! I have changed the way I eat and that I am happy for MUCH HEALTHIER! but the problem I have is I have lost only 27 lbs in a year. And please do not tell me bad eating habits because that simply is not true. I was hoping for the surgery to help me feel full. Because I never felt full before that. I can say I feel full now but it takes more than it should. I walk to work everyday (weather permiting) not faithful on my protien shakes. And I am a hit and miss with my Water. The sleeve was very depressing for me! My doctor had left after a few visits after surgery and I have no one in my area to go to. That was just my luck! Did I do something wrong? Any ideas? I dont want to be here in this body I could care less of the vainity just wanna feel better!

Ontour, there is a veterans forum and perhaps you should post there for some help as the sleevers there are like yourself many months out and the euphoria of the initial loss has passed and they have faced all different issues. Everyone is super helpful too, not that people on other forums aren't , it is just that they seemed to have faced situations that the newly sleeved haven't .

Also, is there no one at your doctors office who can take over your care? Or another bariatric surgeon you can approach?

I am going on a year post op in a few weeks. Not happy at all! I have changed the way I eat and that I am happy for MUCH HEALTHIER! but the problem I have is I have lost only 27 lbs in a year. And please do not tell me bad eating habits because that simply is not true. I was hoping for the surgery to help me feel full. Because I never felt full before that. I can say I feel full now but it takes more than it should. I walk to work everyday (weather permiting) not faithful on my protien shakes. And I am a hit and miss with my Water. The sleeve was very depressing for me! My doctor had left after a few visits after surgery and I have no one in my area to go to. That was just my luck! Did I do something wrong? Any ideas? I dont want to be here in this body I could care less of the vainity just wanna feel better!

What was your starting weight and how much do you want to lose total? How many calories do you eat on average? There are so many different variables that can slow the weight loss! But there are ways to address them! I track my food and exercise with myfitnesspal and fitbit. I make sure I have a 1000 calorie deficit every day so I can average 2 pounds loss each week. I have to approach things this way because my doctor gave me a very large sleeve unbeknownst to me until after surgery. I feel very little restriction! I am very disappointed by this but I am determined to lose weight so I am working as hard as I can to figure out what works for me! I eat on average 1200-1300 calories a day and walk or jog 5 times a week for an hour! I could eat a lot more but exercise a ton of willpower. I can't count on my large sleeve to stop me :(. I am 3 months out and have lost 40 pounds postoperative and 25 pounds preop for a total of 65 pounds since I started this journey! I am determined to succeed even with my defective sleeve!!

I think its nearly impossible for the sleeve to "not work", however how you are using your tool will determine how well you do.

I know sometimes people feel no more hunger. I was not one of those lucky ones. I still have hunger, so i feel a bit let down about that.

However i have lost 44 lbs so far and i am feeling so much better. i would still do it knowing i would have actual hunger

I am so glad you said that, I am not even three weeks out and wondered why I still feel hunger! still on fluids at this point, starting puree. but have lost over 20 pounds already, so am pleased with it. praying for a good outcome. :-) :) :)

If it isn't working' date=' then you aren't even trying.[/quote']

I disagree, I am almost 6 months out and haven't lost in 2 months. I eat everything I should, watch everything I eat. Sometimes it takes other factors to figure out how to lose the weight. I am learning what isn't working and hope to find what will. I am trying my hardest and have not had the success others have had.

Every body has a way of losing weight, while I love my sleeve, I'm never hungry and I've lost some weight, it isn't a quick fix and automatically works for everyone.

Trying does not automatically = success. It's important to not give up which I refuse to do!

My 6 year old eats more than I do...... I do not have anything that is considered off limits or trigger foods except for coffee....

I just don't understand why the weight is not falling off ?!?

I really can't talk about this to everyone... because they feel you got the surgery quit complaining....... it is really hard I have been stalled for about 2 weeks now and I follow all the rules.

I feel there is something that happens when you remove a part of the stomach... the brain has to send some sort of signal to hold on to weight ... It is nearly impossible to exist on the amount of food we eat if we did not have this small stomach.... my 6 year old eats more than I do and he is rail thin.... I just do not understand for the life of me why weight is so slow.

I'm about 10 weeks out. I get frustrated at mealtimes because I can only eat a few bites and then I'm done. I struggle getting in my Protein and struggle even harder getting in my fluids. My poor belly cramps up every time I put something into it which makes eating and drinking a battle. I've had an Upper GI to check it all out and everything is fine anatomically. I'm **supposed** to sit down and consume 3 meals of at least 20 grams of protein each. In reality, I eat a few bites of protein at mealtimes and add a couple of Snacks (cheese, etc) during the day. There is no way else to get it all in. I'm still doing one 30g Protein Shake daily even though I'm supposed to be off of supplements now. I do still get hungry, but that's over in two bites. I am happy with the weight loss of 32 lbs in 10 weeks, but it's really exhausting getting my fluids in, how much protein I'm getting, etc. I think once my stomach starts behaving better I'll be happier. food just doesn't sit well.

I agree with CLK If it was so easy why didn't we loss the weight on our own. We don't know the whole story with the people who are not losing, this site is suppose to give support so please let us up lift them not bring them down.

My 6 year old eats more than I do...... I do not have anything that is considered off limits or trigger foods except for coffee....

I just don't understand why the weight is not falling off ?!?

I really can't talk about this to everyone... because they feel you got the surgery quit complaining....... it is really hard I have been stalled for about 2 weeks now and I follow all the rules.

I feel there is something that happens when you remove a part of the stomach... the brain has to send some sort of signal to hold on to weight ... It is nearly impossible to exist on the amount of food we eat if we did not have this small stomach.... my 6 year old eats more than I do and he is rail thin.... I just do not understand for the life of me why weight is so slow.

I think the most important thing is to just stay the course. Our bodies sometimes like to be stubborn, and we have to be patient with them. The weight will come off eventually...just maybe not at the rate you want it to. All our bodies are different and react to a low calorie diet in different ways. I have to tell myself that this is a life-long commitment I've made, not some crash diet. :)

I think (and no offense to anyone) that it's easy to be kind of cocky about how easy it all is and how you'd have to be deliberately eating around your sleeve not to achieve goal.

And I say that because I used to think that, too.

The reality is much more complex and it's unfair that we, as people that have struggled with our weight our entire lives, are so quick to criticize or shout diet! exercise! to anyone that's struggling post sleeve. It's as if we're applying that same logic our family, friends and doctors had prior to our surgeries - it's not working because you're failing or it's not working because you have no willpower or it's not working because you're lazy. The end result being the message that of course losing weight is easy and if you really want to do it the weight will just fall off and you'll be on your way to happily ever after.

Not so. The issue is something not even fully understood in the medical world. If weight loss were simple restriction and willpower, the very first time you tried a 1,200 calorie diet you would have lost that weight and made it to goal and you would not be here missing 85% of an organ.

I have friends here that struggle and have struggled for years to either shed weight or stay on track for various reasons. It is not all willpower. I know folks that are the strictest eaters and most diligent exercisers that CANNOT reach goal and are still fifty or sixty pounds overweight.

Naturally, some of these people might feel less than thrilled with their results.

Now, for the original question: I am three years out. Today, I can say I am fully satisfied and love my life post sleeve. Six months out or nine months out you would have heard a different story. I struggled to lose at the pace I felt everyone else was meeting. I had two nine week stalls - one at six months and one between nine and twelve months. Now, I was still happy for my sleeve but I was also frustrated. I think you'll find very few people here (though you will find some, particularly those that had bad complications) that regret their surgeries even when things don't go as planned.

And yes, the biggest hurdle most people that are disappointed have is that their initial expectations were not realistic, usually because they either thought they would avoid complications of any sort or because they simply did not research the sleeve diligently prior to surgery.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide. The wonderful universal of this surgery is that even those that are disappointed, frustrated or stalled have lost weight. Not as much as they'd like in some cases, but we all lose.

~Cheri

Amen! I quite enjoy reading your posts. Always wise words.

Just last week my mother in law (whos very worried about my slipped lapband causing lasting damage) said to me "Honey, why can't you just get your band out and watch what you eat?" Wow. I've never thought of that! WLS was my very first choice...btw, she's about 99 lbs soaking wet and has never had a problem with her weight her whole life.

So so tired of dieting. My lapband actually did work - till it didn't anymore. I've proven I can't be trusted without a tool (gained 30 lbs in the last 18 mths) so I truly need it.

What was my point in this post again? Oh yeah - to tell you that I enjoy reading your well spoken posts! Thanks!

I'm not disappointed but a little discouraged. Monday it will be three weeks post op for me and I had complications with my sleeve, I stayed longer than anticipated at the hospital because there was to much swelling in my stomach right after the surgery, I was given steroids too minimize the swelling. I am nauseas all the time, it's hard for me to take in all my liquids even after I've taken my meds. I'm tired all the time and I ended up back in the ER 9 days after my surgery with severe dehydration, I'm suppose to be on purée stage now but just about everything makes me sick and I keep track of my calorie intake on myfitness pal. And I'm consuming on average about 250-300 and I can drink about 28-35 oz of Water. And today I got on the scale and I'm still only 4 lbs down since my sleeve. How is that possible ??? I'm so frustrated and disappointed. So feel your pain. I know we aren't all programmed the same. But when you read how some people lose 15 lbs in a month and I've only lost 4 and im three weeks in. It's very disappointing. I lost 26 lbs. pre-op and 4 post op. I was so discouraged I burst into tears this evening. It hasn't been easy for me at all. :( but I know I'm in this for the long haul. And I really hope I see better results in the next months to come. Hang In there.

I think (and no offense to anyone) that it's easy to be kind of cocky about how easy it all is and how you'd have to be deliberately eating around your sleeve not to achieve goal.

And I say that because I used to think that' date=' too.

The reality is much more complex and it's unfair that we, as people that have struggled with our weight our entire lives, are so quick to criticize or shout diet! exercise! to anyone that's struggling post sleeve. It's as if we're applying that same logic our family, friends and doctors had prior to our surgeries - it's not working because you're failing or it's not working because you have no willpower or it's not working because you're lazy. The end result being the message that of course losing weight is easy and if you really want to do it the weight will just fall off and you'll be on your way to happily ever after.

Not so. The issue is something not even fully understood in the medical world. If weight loss were simple restriction and willpower, the very first time you tried a 1,200 calorie diet you would have lost that weight and made it to goal and you would not be here missing 85% of an organ.

I have friends here that struggle and have struggled for years to either shed weight or stay on track for various reasons. It is not all willpower. I know folks that are the strictest eaters and most diligent exercisers that CANNOT reach goal and are still fifty or sixty pounds overweight.

Naturally, some of these people might feel less than thrilled with their results.

Now, for the original question: I am three years out. Today, I can say I am fully satisfied and love my life post sleeve. Six months out or nine months out you would have heard a different story. I struggled to lose at the pace I felt everyone else was meeting. I had two nine week stalls - one at six months and one between nine and twelve months. Now, I was still happy for my sleeve but I was also frustrated. I think you'll find very few people here (though you will find some, particularly those that had bad complications) that regret their surgeries even when things don't go as planned.

And yes, the biggest hurdle most people that are disappointed have is that their initial expectations were not realistic, usually because they either thought they would avoid complications of any sort or because they simply did not research the sleeve diligently prior to surgery.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide. The wonderful universal of this surgery is that even those that are disappointed, frustrated or stalled have lost weight. Not as much as they'd like in some cases, but we all lose.

~Cheri[/quote']

I always look forward to your posts. They answer so many underlying questions that I, and I am sure many others, have.

I'm not disappointed but a little discouraged. Monday it will be three weeks post op for me and I had complications with my sleeve, I stayed longer than anticipated at the hospital because there was to much swelling in my stomach right after the surgery, I was given steroids too minimize the swelling. I am nauseas all the time, it's hard for me to take in all my liquids even after I've taken my meds. I'm tired all the time and I ended up back in the ER 9 days after my surgery with severe dehydration, I'm suppose to be on purée stage now but just about everything makes me sick and I keep track of my calorie intake on myfitness pal. And I'm consuming on average about 250-300 and I can drink about 28-35 oz of Water. And today I got on the scale and I'm still only 4 lbs down since my sleeve. How is that possible ??? I'm so frustrated and disappointed. So feel your pain. I know we aren't all programmed the same. But when you read how some people lose 15 lbs in a month and I've only lost 4 and im three weeks in. It's very disappointing. I lost 26 lbs. pre-op and 4 post op. I was so discouraged I burst into tears this evening. It hasn't been easy for me at all. :( but I know I'm in this for the long haul. And I really hope I see better results in the next months to come. Hang In there.

That is exactly how I feel sometimes..... not disappointed but a little discouraged, I just thought it would be a little different..... and It is hard to talk to my surgeon because he felt that the RNY is superior to the sleeve and I just don't want him to say well, I told you so...... over all I am happy with my surgery, I just thought weight loss would be a little quicker and I still feel hunger, so I guess that is an issue that I will always have to deal with.

Thanks for listening and sharing everyone.. sometimes you just need to speak your mind and clear your heart with people who I hope will understand.