Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone enjoy the 2 week pre-op diet as much as me? Really not bad....

I've been preparing for surgery for two years. During that time I've made many adjustments among them: giving up diet sodas and caffiene, limiting carbs and eliminating added artificial sweetners (my choice). When I was fianlly approved for surgery, my doctor quickly scheduled surgery. I immediately went on the full liquid diet; no time to graze my favorite restautants or even have my 'last gorge meal'. On Tuesday, suregry day, I will have been on liquids for two weeks and I haven't had any real hunger or weakness. Did anyone else have this experience? The only issue is all the sweet tastes. I do eat cream of chicken Soup and broths to help with that, but would appreciate other suggestions. I had my doctor look over all the potein drinks and found some were not true Meal Replacements, so I'm making adjustments, but everything else has been fine - no hunger, good energy and sleep very well. All the dread of these 2 weeks was a non-issue for me.

This is my second time on the 2 week liquid diet, the first time I never had any hunger, this time I was hungry at times the first couple days but never starving.

I have been on for 6 days and have yet to feel hungry too. I have also lost close to 8lbs now so watching it melt off definitely helps!

I can't tell you how very excited & hopeful I am to read this thread!!! I've been so scared & dreading the 1 week pre-op liquid diet I will have to go on. Can you ladies please please please help me???!!!! Tell me, what EXACTLY are you drinking & when. You're giving a very depressed girl some hope! I'm just so afraid I'm going to be so hungry. Please list details for me?

The liquid diet was easy. Ive done Optifast before and the liquid diet I was on was much easier.

I can't tell you how very excited & hopeful I am to read this thread!!! I've been so scared & dreading the 1 week pre-op liquid diet I will have to go on. Can you ladies please please please help me???!!!! Tell me' date=' what EXACTLY are you drinking & when. You're giving a very depressed girl some hope! I'm just so afraid I'm going to be so hungry. Please list details for me? [/quote']

In the morning I have 8 ounces of juice with vanilla 100 percent whey Protein powder, I use about 3/4 of a scoop. For lunch & supper I have Protein Powder mixed with Water, either chocolate or my favorite which is Cookies & cream. All if the Protein Powder I use is 100 precent whey from GNC, I use 3/4 of a scoop. I eat lots of Knox Blox, boil 1 quart of Water, mix with 4 packages of unflavored Knox Gelatin & 3 boxes sugar free Jell-o & refrigerate, that'll give you something to chew. I have hard candy to suck on, sometimes a Popsicle, lots of water throughout the day.

I can't tell you how very excited & hopeful I am to read this thread!!! I've been so scared & dreading the 1 week pre-op liquid diet I will have to go on. Can you ladies please please please help me???!!!! Tell me, what EXACTLY are you drinking & when. You're giving a very depressed girl some hope! I'm just so afraid I'm going to be so hungry. Please list details for me?

Oh Pixie, you poor thing!! You're gonna psych yourself out. I had a pre op liquid diet for both of my lap band surgeries. Honestly, they weren't bad!! The first day or two I was hungry but with Protein shakes, you can really ease that hunger. Just keep busy and you'll be fine, I promise!! I'm not worried about my pre op diet at all, and in fact, looking forward to it... is that even crazier than the OP?! lol But honestly, the day I start my pre-op diet, that will mean I am a mere 2 weeks away from the help I have been working toward getting for over 10 years!! Don't worry about it. It won't be nearly as bad as you're worried about. Heck, for my first lapband surgery I had to do seven days of clear liquid diet!! lol We SO got this! ;)

My pre-op liquid diet is drawing to a close. Surgery in a few hours and then on to post-op liquid diet!

Pixie Dust - I worried about hunger too, but it wasn't that way for me. I drink a whey isolate drink on the way to work to jump start my day. I normally have a Protein Meal Replacement for lunch and diner. Those normally have casein Protein which seems to stick with me longer and keep hunger away. Between meals I have sugar free Jello and sugar free Popsicles. After eating all that sweet tasting stuff all aday, a bowl of low fat cream of chicken Soup is delicious! There are numerous brands of protein on the market. I bought what my doctor has in his office. Then I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and GNC. I told them I was having WLS and they were very helpful in educating me and showing me different types. Start now and buy little sample packs to see what you like. If you have trouble when you start the full 2 weeks, we're here for you. Just post.

On to surgery for now!!!!!!

I did a Protein Shake for Breakfast, lunch and dinner on most days. I used Chike and Syntax nectar brands mostly and mixed most of them with skim milk. I liked the taste of them better with milk rather than Water. I also got Isopure clear Protein Drinks and sipped on them all day between meals. I had 2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post op...all of the above is sweet tasting and I was SOOOO sick of the sweet. So, to change up, sometimes I would have broth Soups and add in Unjury Unflavored Protein powder to boost the protein, or I would have chicken Soup flavored Unjury protein powder. I also LIVED on sugar free popsicles. Gave me something to bite :) The 1st 2 days were rough, but not because I was hungry...it was because of the habit of chewing ;) After I made it past that, it was pretty easy.

umm, no, lol! I was hungry and didn't like it at all. I didn't stress about it, and I have to say I like the post op diet better. I think I mourned the loss of food in the couple months prior to the pre op diet, so it wasn't a food issue for me, it was weakness/hunger. That's why the post op diet was better, at least I wasn't hungry. I think it's manageable pre or post op for everyone, as long as your head is in the right place. Good luck to all of you!

I did a Protein Shake for breakfast, lunch and dinner on most days. I used Chike and Syntax nectar brands mostly and mixed most of them with skim milk. I liked the taste of them better with milk rather than Water. I also got Isopure clear Protein drinks and sipped on them all day between meals. I had 2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post op...all of the above is sweet tasting and I was SOOOO sick of the sweet. So, to change up, sometimes I would have broth Soups and add in Unjury Unflavored protein powder to boost the protein, or I would have chicken Soup flavored Unjury protein powder. I also LIVED on sugar free popsicles. Gave me something to bite :) The 1st 2 days were rough, but not because I was hungry...it was because of the habit of chewing ;) After I made it past that, it was pretty easy.

How was the Unjury Unflavored Protein? I tried the GNC 100% Whey Unflavored & it was horrible.

Did: it because I had to glad it is done.

I did enjoy my 2 week diet. I actually did mine for 3 weeks and it was great. I did the same as you. I used the Equate Protein Shakes from wal-mart 3 times a day and snacked 3 times a day (Jello, greek yogurt with crystal light, cream of chicken/shrimp/broccoli, raw veggies, etc.) and I was very full from the diet. Now I'm 1 week post op and pureeing food and it's great.!

In the morning I have 8 ounces of juice with vanilla 100 percent whey Protein powder, I use about 3/4 of a scoop. For lunch & supper I have Protein powder mixed with Water, either chocolate or my favorite which is Cookies & cream. All if the protein powder I use is 100 precent whey from GNC, I use 3/4 of a scoop. I eat lots of Knox Blox, boil 1 quart of Water, mix with 4 packages of unflavored Knox Gelatin & 3 boxes sugar free Jell-o & refrigerate, that'll give you something to chew. I have hard candy to suck on, sometimes a Popsicle, lots of water throughout the day.

Thanks AuntB! What kind of juice do you drink? I'll probably be okay with a chocolatey type shake for a day or two but after that, I know I'd be tired of the sweet taste as I'm not a big fan as it is! I've never heard of Knox Blox ? But I do intend to try it! Do you just put that in individual small bowls?