Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op diet to lose 5-10 pds

My doctor wants me to lose 5-10 pounds before surgery. (Which will hopefully be the 2nd week of June.) Any suggestions on a diet that I should do? I see that others have had success in losing some weight prior to surgery and here I am struggling. Just curious as to what diet worked to help shed some pounds quickly before surgery.

Thanks!

I have to lose 15 lbs & I really don't know HOW HOW HOW I'm going to do it. I'm trying tho. I'm just trying to do a low calorie & I'm drinking Water, Water, water! I started filling out a food tracker on www.myfitnesspal.com & I do see that it is actually helping me! Sometimes I just don't realize what damage I do to myself by inadvertently snacking on something I really shouldn't be snacking on!

Hope to find some good suggestions on your thread! Good luck to you (& me too!)

That's interesting that he didn't give you a diet to follow. Most doctors what you to go low carb...something about shrinking the liver so they can move it out of the way during surgery.

My doctor's diet looks like this:

"A low carb (30 grams or less daily), high Protein (minimum of 60 - 70 grams a dday), and don't over do it on fat" "You may have low fat yogurt, lean meats, grilled chicken, green vegetables" "If you chose to drink a Protein shake it should have atleast 15 grams of Protein and less than 6 total grams of carbs"

And then it has menu ideas and link to a carb counter on the Atkins web site.

My doctors office has an in house nutritionist who helped me come up with a low carb, high Protein diet. Then 3 weeks before surgery I switched to 2 to 3 Protein Shakes a day with a small meal consisting of 4oz lean protein and veggies. I was able to lose 50lbs pre-op.

@pixiedust hopefully we can figure something out. Protein Shakes make me hungrier about an hour after drinking one. Maybe it's the brand that I am drinking. I've been on Weight Watchers for the past 5 months and I am gaining instead of losing.

I had to lose 15 pounds before surgery as a requirement from my insurance company. I met with my dr. once a month for six months to discuss diet, exercise, etc. It was a very long journey, but finally had surgery two weeks ago.

@pixiedust hopefully we can figure something out. Protein shakes make me hungrier about an hour after drinking one. Maybe it's the brand that I am drinking. I've been on Weight Watchers for the past 5 months and I am gaining instead of losing.

I drank powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Splendor and made them with skim milk plus (for added protein) I added ice and made them in the blender, it definitely made them more filling.

Hmmm, that's interesting. My doctor told me to lose the weight, but didn't tell me what diet to follow.

Most surgeon's either have a diet plan to follow or have nutritionists in their offices.

If you follow the Atkins induction phase for 2 weeks you will be good

Jenny, I feel great! Had surgery on 26 Mar, spent one night in the hospital, back to work half days that Thursday and Friday then flew to Vegas that Sunday for a week. Back at work now full time. Occasionally I feel tired, but I think it is more from not getting enough Protein. I am down 1 - 2 pounds a day since surgery and am going back to the gym tonight after work. I still feel a little discomfort in my shoulders and a little tenderness around the right incision from where they pulled the stomach through.

If you just need to lose 10 - 15 lbs...that can be easily done (depending on your current size). (I always fail at the sticking with it part...but the initial 10 -15 I've lost many times in the past 5 years...)

Here's what I would suggest to someone truely lost on the how to lose 10-15lbs BEFORE having surgery.

1. Drink Water!!!!! I can not stress this enough....flush out the "junk". Find a way to keep track, but try to drink 80 - 100 oz (more if you are over 300lbs). Drink a full glass before you eat...set an alarm during the day to remind yourself...find a way, but drink lots of Water. Stay away from beverages with sodium...stay away from diet cokes, real cokes, any cokes... those Vitamin waters Read the labels, stay away from sodium! Drink Water!!! (have I stressed that enough?)...ha!

2. Try to keep your net Calories around 1,500 (now if you are much larger than me, google bmr calculator, find out what your base calories are if you sat still all day, and subtract 500. Track in MFP or another software.

3. Eat Real foods, and watch your sodium intake...keep it below 2,000mg a day! I can't tell you how big a deal this is. I tracked my calories at 1,500calories a day for 3 weeks and didn't lose a pound (working out too...but eating packaged meals and restaurant meals). The next 2 weeks, I finally started eating real foods and tracking my sodium and lost 9 pounds doing NOTHING different except switching lean cuisines and packaged meals for home cooked real foods.

4. Keep meals simple, but keep this equation: Protein + Complex Carbs (always together!).

Examples:

- 1 egg + 3 egg whites scrambled + 2 slices Ezekiel Toast (sprouted grain bread) + 1/2 tablespoon real butter on toast.

- 4 oz grilled chicken thigh + 2 cups raw spinach + 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper + 1/2 tbs olive oil + 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar (oil + vinegar is your dressing...stay away from the processed dressings!!!)

- 4 oz Steak + 10 spears asparagus

- 4 oz baked chicken breast + 2 cups roasted zuccini (tossed in olive oil + balsamic vinegar + fresh rosemary chopped...baked in oven at 425 until done)

- smoothie... 1 scoop Protein powder + 8 oz unsweetened vanilla Almond Milk + 1/2 cup blue berries + 1 tbs flax seed + 1/2 cup ice + 1 tbs NATURAL Peanut Butter.

Example of Snacks:

- 1 string cheese + 1/2 large banana

- 1 oz almonds (use a food scale!!!) + 1 orange

- 1 tbs Peanut Butter + 1 apple

5. Stay away from Dairy... (just for now...it will help get those pounds off).

6. Move your body!!! Go for a walk, mow the lawn, take the dog for a walk, etc.

I wish I could keep with this for more than 2 weeks at a time. But I fail miserably with the sticking with it part.

You gals can do this. ;)