Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, I'm still pre-op and have a ton of questions, but my main concern is the pain??? How much pain do you have right after surgery???

I had surgery on a Monday. Immediately post op (still in hospital) the pain was pretty manageable because they kept me hopped up on narcotics.

The worst day IMO, was Wednesday. By Thursday x-strength Tylenol was all I needed. I stopped all pain meds by that Friday.

The gas was irritating (not debilitating for me) but I was able to manage it by walking lots and using a heating pad.

Quite a bit, actually. More than I expected. I usually bounce back pretty quickly. Standing up/sitting down is the pits! I needed the whole bottle of pain meds I was given, just polished it off today.

Well, that's a little comforting to hear, thanks guys!!! Are u allowed to take gas relief immediately after surgery???

Quite a bit' date=' actually. More than I expected. I usually bounce back pretty quickly. Standing up/sitting down is the pits! I needed the whole bottle of pain meds I was given, just polished it off today.[/quote']

Aww...poor thing, I don't really have a high tolerance for pain, that's why i was so curious. Did u have the laparoscopic?

I guess it's all relative. I've had 4 cesareans and the pain was much worse!! I slept in a recliner for weeks after them. After my sleeve i slept in my bed my first night home.

I guess it's all relative. I've had 4 cesareans and the pain was much worse!! I slept in a recliner for weeks after them. After my sleeve i slept in my bed my first night home.

This is good to hear. I've had two csections, one being an emergency where they cut me pretty hastily.

Well' date=' that's a little comforting to hear, thanks guys!!! Are u allowed to take gas relief immediately after surgery???[/quote']

My doctor explained that gas relief medication does not help in this situation because the air is trapped in connective tissue, not your typical run of the mill gas. The gas relief meds treat gas in your stomach and do not reach the connective tissue in your abdominal cavity etc...

I felt that flipping side to side while lying down, leaning side to side, walking, and raising your arms to the sky really gets the gas moving around.

Well, that's a little comforting to hear, thanks guys!!! Are u allowed to take gas relief immediately after surgery???

I was not permitted anything by mouth (including Water and I was so thirsty!) until the day after surgery, so I guess my answer is no.

My doctor explained that gas relief medication does not help in this situation because the air is trapped in connective tissue' date=' not your typical run of the mill gas. The gas relief meds treat gas in your stomach and do not reach the connective tissue in your abdominal cavity etc...

I felt that flipping side to side while lying down, leaning side to side, walking, and raising your arms to the sky really gets the gas moving around.[/quote']

Oh, I had no idea about the connective tissue thing! Lol, but yea, raising ur arms and turning from side to side is def a good way to get rid of gas! U should also try sitting on ur hands and knees!!!

Actually none! I even accused my dr of not doing the surgery! Lol

Actually none! I even accused my dr of not doing the surgery! Lol

I thought the same thing! Lol. I thought they just pumped me full of gas and that's it. Especially the day after and i was allowed broth and Water. There was no pain in my new sleeve at all!! I was afraid to take that first sip thinking it was going to hurt, but nothing.

I'm 6 days post op and my pain is minimal. Some discomfort every now and then but no "real"pain. I have liquid Lortab for pain medicine and I've taken it 1 time since I've been home. Good luck

My doctor explained that gas relief medication does not help in this situation because the air is trapped in connective tissue, not your typical run of the mill gas. The gas relief meds treat gas in your stomach and do not reach the connective tissue in your abdominal cavity etc...

I felt that flipping side to side while lying down, leaning side to side, walking, and raising your arms to the sky really gets the gas moving around.

Exactly! That's why I was surprised to see that people had listed "gas-x" as an item to bring to the hospital to help with gas pain. It won't help for the gas pains that we'll have from the surgery.

VivaDiva, I'm "allergic" to pain as well, so I am a bit nervous but I'm hoping it will be managable! Wishing the same for you!