Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's taboo but is it true that you get very sensitive with regards to alcohol? I'm not a huge drinker but every once in a great while I like a glass or three of some nice Tullamore Dew. Someone told me that now a shot would do me in. Any truths to this?

Hi

I am only 3 weeks post op ,, so i havent even thought of a drink even though I am a bartender and went back to work last week.. my girlfriend was sleeved last august and she still goes to the bars and drinks and doesnt seem to have a problem. how far post op are you ??? i suppose you can take a sip and see how it feels ....

Im still preop. I get the sleeve April 16th

I think it varies person to person, for me I didn't notice any difference between drinking pre-op and drinking post-op aside from not being able to drink as much at once.

I'm 6 months out I it definitely changed for me. I get 2 beers down and I'm feeling pretty good. Now, 1 beer is the equivalent to 3 for me. I know this cause I would't start feeling good until a six pack down.

Sleeved on March 11th tried a Bloody Mary Last Night I was Dizzy after less than Half of the Drink

I know it's taboo but is it true that you get very sensitive with regards to alcohol? I'm not a huge drinker but every once in a great while I like a glass or three of some nice Tullamore Dew. Someone told me that now a shot would do me in. Any truths to this?

I'm 3 months+ out - had 2 shots over the course of a very long Saturday night last weekend and didn't feel the effects.

DOn't drink for two months after surgery as the alcohol can damage your healing tummy (picture pouring it on an open wound...and wounds inside heal slower) but that said, at two months and a second...ok not really it was more like three because I did have significant complications, I had some wine. It went down fine, though I do drink slower now. I will say that I don't have the issue of it hitting me harder. I drink slower because I just do...just like I eat slower, so I don't drink as much as I used to, but I can easily have two or three decent sized glasses of wine and it's no different than prior to the surgery....EXCEPT....I get sober very quickly if I do feel the slightest twinge of tipsy :) Which is just fine with me.

I don't drink hard liquor so I can't help you with that experience, but my husband says he was hoping I'd become a cheap date (I do like good wine LOL) and it hasn't worked out for him that way heh heh

How long did everyone wait to drink?

Waiting 6 months is good in order to be at a point where you have lost a lot of weight and have a fitness program. You do not want the calories from alcohol (specifically, mixed drinks) to interfere with your weight loss goals. There is also some truth behind the damage alcohol may cause your stomach if you drink it too early as a post op,

My experience with alcohol post sleeve is that it isomer of a roller coaster ride. I get buzzed a lot quicker, and the buzz comes and goes rather quickly. I've had moments where I was flying high, then a few minutes later felt nothing then started feeling it again. It is not as bad now as it was the first few months post op, but I do still feel it faster, and it ebbs & flows more now than pre op. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that since you really do not have much stomach left to hold liqueur, it passes much more quickly to the intestine where it is absorbed rapidly.

And I had my first drink somewhere just after 6weeks.

I am pre op and have been told that "a little dab will do you" I like the taste of liquor and dont know how it will affect me after surgery. I konw enough to stay away from booze until the healin process is complete. Any suggestions or comments