Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery for appearance alone?

I am new to this and am trying to make the decision to have surgery or not. My BMI is 38 an I have none of the co-morbidities that insurance companies usually consider. At this point I would be considered for cosmetic/appearance purposes only. My husband is calling it preventable maintenance, but I am curious to hear what others have to say. If you have had the surgery with less weight to lose, have you been satisfied with your loss? Enough to justify the expense?

I had a BMI of 38 prior to my surgery, let me tell you there is nothing healthy about a BMI of 38. I am considered obese, and I looked obese and I felt obese. For me this was not about cosmetic appearences, this was about extending my life span. For me waiting to become more obese and more unhealty, was not an option I was willing to accept for myself.

I was 226 and had a bmi of 41 (morbidly obese) very scary term. No other issues but I've been overweight my whole life and feared obtaining more issues beyond weight. Good luck to you

I have Blood Pressure problems which pushed me into considereing it (and the BP became my scapegoat because this was a lot about appearance for me). I still have my high BP. It was never because of weight, but genetics according to my doctor. He can figure out why I still have high BP when I do everything perfectly!

I feel hot. I love the attention I get. I like the way I look naked. I love how clothes look. I have more confidence than I can contain. It pops out all the time. I feel like I'm a Barbie doll. All I want to do is have fun and be active now. My weight stood in the way more than I thought. I was unhappier than I ever thought because of my weight. I didn't know that until I became "skinny". I find people treat me better -- hold open doors, offer to buy me drinks. My relationships improved, like my brother isn't embarassed or ashamed of me now. I don't worry about fitting in vehicles or chairs or if the cashier is judging me for buying cake mix. I feel soooo normal now. And hot. I can not repeat enough times how hot I think I am.

The rest of my life is the same. I have the same work stress. I have the same family drama. I still feel lonely sometimes. I still wish I had more money. All my problems are still there, but I like myself now and I think that's a huge accomplishment.

I was 220 with BMI of 40 so that makes me on the lower BMI scale. My highest weight ever was 231. I am 5'2". My problem is I would diet every Jan. and would lose 30 pounds. By Dec every year, I had gained back. 2 decades of this. Not healthy. At all. This year, I have lost the 30 pounds and they will never, ever find me again. I don't know what my weight will be at years end but I know it will be much lower and I know with every Fiber of my being I will be healthy and well. For the first time in my adult life. That is why I did it!

Good luck with your decision making!

yes jh that's what I want my confidence back and to feel hot..... good luck with the rest of your journey.....

I didn't have any comorbites either. I probably would have developed some later but for now I have been perfectly healthy. I had the surgery for one simple reason - I wanted to loose weight and feel more attractive. That's it. I guess that means I did it for vanity reasons. But you know - so what? I am 4 weeks post op, down 20 lbs, and having the dreaded first stall. The scale will start moving again, I'm just sure of it. I am unable to eat very much but when I do eat, I eat whatever I darn well please. I'm not concerned with low carbs, low sugar, or anything like that. I don't eat much so I'll loose weight. Am I vain? I guess so but that's why I got the sleeve, My BMI on surgery day was 35. I don't care if I'm vain or superficial. I just wanna be thinner

I didn't have any comorbites either. I probably would have developed some later but for now I have been perfectly healthy. I had the surgery for one simple reason - I wanted to loose weight and feel more attractive. That's it. I guess that means I did it for vanity reasons. But you know - so what? I am 4 weeks post op, down 20 lbs, and having the dreaded first stall. The scale will start moving again, I'm just sure of it. I am unable to eat very much but when I do eat, I eat whatever I darn well please. I'm not concerned with low carbs, low sugar, or anything like that. I don't eat much so I'll loose weight. Am I vain? I guess so but that's why I got the sleeve, My BMI on surgery day was 35. I don't care if I'm vain or superficial. I just wanna be thinner

well said!

I think many would be reluctant to say that they are doing it for vanity reasons. Weight loss surgery seems to be such a taboo in the general public. I get "Oh you don't look like you need surgery, you're not THAT overweight." Well yea I am, and everyday I see something else that doesn't appeal to me at this weight. Clothes don't fit, I don't recognize myself when I look in the mirror, i don't feel attractive even though my husband loves me to pieces.

I don't have the typical comorbities, but I do have lupus which puts enough strain on my body to make me feel like crap, I don't need the extra weight adding to my aches and pains.

When it comes right down to it, I want to be thinner, I didn't diet because I wanted to be healthier, I dieted because I wanted to be thinner, and more attractive, and be able to walk into a room and turn heads. I want to be able to shop for clothes and not have to go to the "big-girl" section...the clothes there are god-awful, and who the heck decided that prints would make a big-chick more attracticve? :P I don't want to continue to gain and loose the same damn 30-40 pounds over and over again and never get to my goal. And strangely enough I want my kids and my husband to be proud to say that's my mom/wife. Not that they aren't now, but I am sooo much hotter when I am in onederland..hehe :lol:

The health benefits are going to be an added bonus as far as I'm concerned...shallow...maybe. Honest...absolutely.

What makes this surgery different than any other cosmetologic action. Isn' t lifting kinda butchering the body for instance? Don't we have the right to feel more confident, sexy, beautiful etc... I'm what's considered as a low BMI(35) though it's not. It's still obese at least in my country where most women look like top models. I love life and I want to have it the way I deserve it. I'm an emotionnal eater and the more I struggle with my body image the more my problems grow bigger. I have gained all my extra weight (98lbs) in 1 year and I'm paining to take it off since 7 years now!! I lose 2 to 4 and so on... So go figure. I have no health issues and I paid for getting sleeved because I believe I deserve it. The same way as any one else. We shouldn't be ashamed of our dreams! I could write a thesis about it but my language won't allow me. I hope I made myself clear :))

[Don't let your emotions make you their b***h]

I can say that I am doing this mostly for vanity. Yea, I have high BP and my body aches from carrying the weight but I can live with that. I cannot live another year of my life being depressed and hating my body. I cannot go another year thinking my husband should not be with me. He is beautiful and so was I when he met me. I feel like I have let him down even though he has never once commented on my weight and loves me so much. I do not want to be the "fat mom" my kids will be picked on for. I have a three year old daughter. I want to be an example for her. I want to look like the person I feel like inside. I want to enjoy clothes, swimming pools, beaches, and roller coasters. These are my motivations. This surgery will heal wounds people do not see. So call me vain. I will wear that name proudly.

I can't say vanity was my main reason. I'm a low BMI'er and I knew I was heading to health problems so that was my main focus.. Looking and feeling better is just a perk that comes with the new healthy me