Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the site and still deciding...

My name is Lisa, I am 29 and from Maryland. I have battled my weight my whole life, but especially struggled in the last 12 years. My highest weight ever was 270 lbs, but I am currently 250 lbs at 5'10". In muy early 20's I was able to get down to 180lbs, but in a very unhealthy manner, using diet pills and horrible eating habits. In the past 8 years I have yo-yo'd my way to my highest weight last year, then went to a physician assisted weight loss with phentermine last year and got down to 235. That only worked for a few months, though I took it for a full year. I have since developed high blood pressure and my doc advised me to stop taking the phentermine if I stopped losing weight. I have a friend who got the sleeve last year, it was the first I had heard of it. I had heard of gastric bypass and the lap band and knew people who had had those procedures. Neither seem appealing to me. The bypass seems way to invasive and the lap band I know someone who had repeated complications and dumping syndrome. I have though about it somewhat secretly for a year, and have recently started really discussing it with my husband and doing heavy research with my insurance and with my work. One big concern is the lifting restrictions I work in health care and there really is no form of "light duty" in my line of work, but luckily I have short term disability. I also keep having second thoughts about not being to eat what I want for the rest of my life, but then I think that just shows my addiction that I am scared to not be able to eat crappy food. My husband has said he will support my decision, but I also don't know what I want to tell others. I almost feel embarrassed to tell friends and coworkers, like I failed all other weight loss pathways. I have never felt that way myself toward others who have there surgery, because it really is a big commitment to weight loss and healthy eating. But there is still a part of me that wishes I could handle it without surgery, but my history shows that I can't.

So I guess my main questions to those who have had VSG are:

1- Have you had and major complications from the surgery?

2- How long were you on restrictions from lifting?

3- How long were you in the hospital after surgery?

4- What did you tell friends and coworkers?

5- Do you have any regrets about having the surgery?

Thanks for any support you can lend to me! :-)

1. I had no complications from surgery and only took one dose of pain med when I woke up then didn't need it anymore

2. No lifting anything over 15 pounds for 6 weeks

3. I was in the hospital for one day, surgery at 12:30 and was released the next day around 1:30

4. My kids and husband and best friend knew prior to surgery. After surgery, I told my parents and immediate family. I don't plan on telling coworkers. it's none of their business.

5. I have NO regrets!

I'd say do it now if your insurance covers it. Why yo-yo for more years if not necessary. I'm 49 now and don't ever remember being the same weight for more than 6 months at a time since my mid 20's. I'm always trying to lose weight just to gain it all back and then some. I'm just glad I was able to get the sleeve now while I'm still young enough to enjoy life! Good luck with your decision.

Thank you for your answers! That all seems very promising. The only concern is no lifting for 6 weeks for me means no working for 6 weeks. Which with short term disability is ok, I just hope my employer is ok with it.

But you are so right about yo-yoing for more years. I know it is hard on my body and just leaves me feeling miserable. Then second I get a step ahead I take 2, sometimes 3 steps back. I am just so tired of it and ready to be healthy and stay healthy. I know that I will probably need the counseling more than just prior to surgery, but to help get me through at least the first few months. I know it won't be easy, I am not expecting a simple solution. Just a tool to help me control myself.

One other question for ya. I have read and watched blog about hair loss, and that worries me. I have heard taking Biotin and niacin helps to lessen the Hair loss. Have you had any issues with that at this point? Again, thanks for your help.

Lisa,

I have been thinking about wls ever since it became a procedure that insurances would think of covering (so years), and I too work in healthcare (ER at a level 1 Trauma Hospital). Not sure what you do in healthcare, but as much as there is not a light duty in our field, we both know that if need be we can get the help we need to lift the patient or anything heavy. I have not had the surgery, but am just waiting to finish my 6 mos supervised diet, I hope to have the surgery July/August of this year. This 6 month period I am finding is giving me comfort as the more information I gather and get closer to my goal of surgery. I read the good and the bad, take it all in, similar to attempting to get a complete H&P from a patient who has short attention span who keeps getting distracted. Everyone's story is so unique, take them all in and make the decision that is right for you. The complications from this surgery are similar to those of other major surgeries, up to and including the possibility of death. But you have to weigh out the pros and cons for YOU this is your decision. I have not found anyone, even those who have had complications. who would tell you that they would not do it again, although I am sure they are out there (this does not include those individuals who have passed due to a PE or complications from surgery). The hospital stay is normally overnight or longer if you have complications or pain control issues. As far as if I have I told friends, a couple very close friends, but no I am not telling my co-workers as a whole, it is very personal to me and my decision that only I can make so I will only tell those who need to know. I know I will be out of work for 2 weeks (as there are driving restrictions imposed by my surgeon). I don't know if this helps, feel free to message me privately if you have any questions that you are not ready to post. This is a great forum and good luck.

I have heard from another member who takes Biotin regularly (and started couple weeks before surgery and she has had no increased Hair loss. That was a huge concern of mine too.

Hey! I'm in MD as well. I just went for my consult today to start figuring myself out. I have been researching this stuff like crazy. I can understand where you are coming from. I have only told 3 ppl and it's not due to embarrassment, it's just I want to make this decision on my own.

This is my first post and got excited to see a MD'er! I'm a nerd! :)

:)

1- Have you had any major complications from the surgery? No complications :)

2- How long were you on restrictions from lifting? I was restricted for 6 weeks. I work a desk job, so I only had to take a week off from work.

3- How long were you in the hospital after surgery? Two days.

4- What did you tell friends and coworkers? Nothing. I didn't tell a soul about the surgery. I didn't feel like hearing anything negative about it.

5- Do you have any regrets about having the surgery? No, not at all! Best decision I ever made for my health and happiness!

Bonus Question - Yes, I did experience some hair loss for several weeks around 4 to 5 months post-op. It was really unnerving to me when it started falling out in fistfuls. However, as obvious as it was to me, it was not noticeable to anyone else and after a few weeks it stopped. I took my Vitamins including Iron and Biotin regularly and that didn't stop the hair from falling out, but it may have reduced the extent/duration of it.

At this point I have only told my friend who had the sleeve, my husband and my sister that I am considering VSG. For me, it would be hard not to tel my coworkers, at least the ones in my dept. We are a somewhat tight knit group and with being out of work for a few weeks, they will be very curious. They are all aware of my weight loss struggles though, so I my just let the ones in my dept know what is going on. I talked to my manager and she is talking to HR about light duty. I am a physical therapist assistant at a nursing facility so I spend much of my day lifting people. Even if they give me the high level patients, there is always the risk that I will need to lift or assist a patient if they being to fall. I don't want to put my patients at risk and I am sure my work won't want to be liable. But I will see what comes of that and be thankful I signed up for short disability last year.

And hey there, fellow marylander! I have done an online seminar and quiz, but have not set up a consult yet since I was making sure my insurance and work wouldn't be an issue. I will most likely have to wait until the fall due to finances, so I am not sure if I should go ahead for the consult now or wait a bit. I hate waiting for anything once I make a decision to go for it. haha Good luck with your journey! :)

My name is Lisa' date=' I am 29 and from Maryland. I have battled my weight my whole life, but especially struggled in the last 12 years. My highest weight ever was 270 lbs, but I am currently 250 lbs at 5'10". In muy early 20's I was able to get down to 180lbs, but in a very unhealthy manner, using diet pills and horrible eating habits. In the past 8 years I have yo-yo'd my way to my highest weight last year, then went to a physician assisted weight loss with phentermine last year and got down to 235. That only worked for a few months, though I took it for a full year. I have since developed high blood pressure and my doc advised me to stop taking the phentermine if I stopped losing weight. I have a friend who got the sleeve last year, it was the first I had heard of it. I had heard of gastric bypass and the lap band and knew people who had had those procedures. Neither seem appealing to me. The bypass seems way to invasive and the lap band I know someone who had repeated complications and dumping syndrome. I have though about it somewhat secretly for a year, and have recently started really discussing it with my husband and doing heavy research with my insurance and with my work. One big concern is the lifting restrictions I work in health care and there really is no form of "light duty" in my line of work, but luckily I have short term disability. I also keep having second thoughts about not being to eat what I want for the rest of my life, but then I think that just shows my addiction that I am scared to not be able to eat crappy food. My husband has said he will support my decision, but I also don't know what I want to tell others. I almost feel embarrassed to tell friends and coworkers, like I failed all other weight loss pathways. I have never felt that way myself toward others who have there surgery, because it really is a big commitment to weight loss and healthy eating. But there is still a part of me that wishes I could handle it without surgery, but my history shows that I can't.

So I guess my main questions to those who have had VSG are:

1- Have you had and major complications from the surgery? No so far 3 weeks pot op

2- How long were you on restrictions from lifting?

1 month- you could go on disability or FMLA

3- How long were you in the hospital after surgery? I was in for 1 day

4- What did you tell friends and coworkers?i flat out told them I don't card what people think of me , I did for my health.

5- Do you have any regrets about having the surgery?none so far. Iam enjoying my sleeve, best decision I ever made.

Thanks for any support you can lend to me! :-)[/quote']

You said "I also keep having second thoughts about not being to eat what I want for the rest of my life". This for me now is 20 minutes when I'm at a restaurant with friends until I'm at my new "full", or at Christmas dinner when everyone gorges for hours, but they all feel gross after -- I don't! And those few minutes when I'm sad about being different and unable to binge pale in comparison to the months I spend being ridiculously happy/confident, showered with cute male attention and staring at myself in the mirror.

1- Have you had any major complications from the surgery? Nope - nothing!

2- How long were you on restrictions from lifting? Six weeks from anything over 20lbs I think, I only had two incisions, so I didn't follow this too exact... and was still fine! If you are a nurse, care aide or moving/transfering people, take a good two weeks off for sure!

3- How long were you in the hospital after surgery? 2 days in Hospital, 2 days at a hotel post op

4- What did you tell friends and coworkers? I told them I was having surgery - I was vague with the nosy people I didn't like. Some got the details, some didn't. Now I think most people know. I haven't ran into a single person who has said anything negative. The important people care enough that they want you to be healthy and happy no matter what road you take. I armed myself with statistics about the sleeve, just in case I ran into a Negative Nelly.

5- Do you have any regrets about having the surgery? That I didn't do it earlier. I'm 28. I wish I would have done this at 20. I feel like I'm reliving my life the way I always pictured it to be. I have guys fighting to buy me drinks, dance with me and kiss me on NYE. I don't feel like I will have to settle on "some guy" because no one else will ever be interested -- I can actually find someone worthy of ME. I finally have the confidence I always wanted and it shows to others. My relationships have gotten better now that I'm happier too. I can hang out with my brother and he's not ashamed. I can be in the jumpy houses with my neices and nephews. Life is better.

1. no complications because of the surgery.

2. For me 12 weeks cuz of the jobs I do.

3.Just over night.. home the next day after a swallow eval to check the sleeve.

4. I did tell my co-workers after the surgery.. I found them to be very supportive.. especially at the hospital.. all the encouragement I received from them.. keeps me going..

5.Not one regret.. well one.. I didnt do it sooner.. I didnt have health issues going into surgery.. other than being overweight.. Im happy to report that since my surgery on dec 20 ive lost 80lbs and its only been 3.5 months.. :)

Regarding hair loss....after washing my hair two days, I clogged the drain, but I still have lots of hair...lol I started taking Biotin starting my 3rd week when I was cleared to start Vitamins. So who knows, I may have had even more Hair loss. Fortunately I have thick hair.