Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so glad to have found this board. It's nice to see so many people in the same boat as me. I really want the sleeve to work for me. I never thought I would resort to the sleeve. I was so sure the band would work. Here I am almost 3 years later and only 25 pounds lighter! I agree that the band was a big waste of money and time!

I am so glad to have found this board. It's nice to see so many people in the same boat as me. I really want the sleeve to work for me. I never thought I would resort to the sleeve. I was so sure the band would work. Here I am almost 3 years later and only 25 pounds lighter! I agree that the band was a big waste of money and time!

I would never, EVER. EVER. gotten the lapband knowing what I know now. I do not feel as though I failed, I feel as though the Dr was not honest with me (unlike my Fill Dr here in the states who is not happy with the lapband only having a 60% success rate) and I wish I had known about the sleeve back then. However, things happen for a reason. I have lost the same weight so many times I am losing count

I agree with you Lisa. Hind sight is always 20/20 and this band is no exception. The band failed me, I didn't fail the band. I was too tight over a year ago and have not been able to handle dense Protein or fibrous veggies or fruit since then with trying to find the "sweet spot". I can't wait to start this new part of my life with the sleeve.

I am going from band to sleeve May 23 in Mexico. I first go the band in 2005 (self-pay) here in the states. I hate the band. Every morning I know I can not eat anything or drink anything but coffee for the first three hours of so that I am awake. Nothing goes down and I throw it up. Even yesterday I was at lunch with friends at 2:00pm and I could not eat grits. (I had to go and throw up grits and saliva) Yes I know that is gross but that is what I put up with every day. I have gained everything I lost back and then some more. I do not eat a lot I cant except for at night but I gain mainly due to what I drink. I start liquid diet May 4 and I am happy to be relieved that my journey to remove the band has started (It will seem really real then). I would tell anyone not to get the band. My joke is I can eat Cheetos but not raw vegetables.

I am going from band to sleeve May 23 in Mexico. I first go the band in 2005 (self-pay) here in the states. I hate the band. Every morning I know I can not eat anything or drink anything but coffee for the first three hours of so that I am awake. Nothing goes down and I throw it up. Even yesterday I was at lunch with friends at 2:00pm and I could not eat grits. (I had to go and throw up grits and saliva) Yes I know that is gross but that is what I put up with every day. I have gained everything I lost back and then some more. I do not eat a lot I cant except for at night but I gain mainly due to what I drink. I start liquid diet May 4 and I am happy to be relieved that my journey to remove the band has started (It will seem really real then). I would tell anyone not to get the band. My joke is I can eat Cheetos but not raw vegetables.

This is my life story with the band! Lol

39 more days for me!!!

Hi Shiela

In the same boat. Very glad I found this site. I'm scheduled for revision 4/24 and a friend asked me today why I'm still on the fence about having it done' date=' my answer...I don't want to fail again. The surgery itself doesn't scare me, the pre-and post surgery diets don't look like they are a lot of fun, but I can muddle through them. Pain doesn't scare me. The only thing I'm scared of is FAILING AGAIN.

My plan is to keep reading the encouraging words of wisdom from the people on this sight who have gone through it. And to prepare myself as much as I can for this next chapter of life.

Do what's best for you. For me the band was a waste of time, money and energy. Praying that the sleeve is a better tool for me.[/quote']

Good luck I have the same story , I'm in the same boat ,in the process of getting a sleeve after 4 years of a lapband nightmare . I wish I could get my sleeve soon , however I developed an ulcer from the band , therefore I have to treat that before getting the sleeve. You will do great with the sleeve my daughter got the sleeve 2 months ago already lost 50 pounds ,and was walking around the next day with no pain . You will be happy

I think my insurance might not pay. How much is it in Mexico and how is everyone finding a doctor?

I think my insurance might not pay. How much is it in Mexico and how is everyone finding a doctor?

Why wouldn't they pay ? What's the problem ?

My insurance allows only 1 WLS surgery per lifetime. Plus you have to have a bmi of 40 or 35 with two co-morbidity risks. I have a lapband and my bmi is 36 with no co morbidity. I just had an EGD done and they said everything looks ok.

I'm paying $5500 for my revision with Dr. Garcia

My insurance allows only 1 WLS surgery per lifetime. Plus you have to have a bmi of 40 or 35 with two co-morbidity risks. I have a lapband and my bmi is 36 with no co morbidity. I just had an EGD done and they said everything looks ok.

I understand , here in NY , what people do is they change insurance companies in order to do another WLS . I had my lapband removed because I was always vomiting . If your BMI is 36 it's a clear indication the band has not worked for you , therefore you should discuss with your doctor to have it removed , and perhaps doing a sleeve at the same time. I couldn't get the sleeve when I had my band removed because I had an emergency removal.

I understand , here in NY , what people do is they change insurance companies in order to do another WLS . I had my lapband removed because I was always vomiting . If your BMI is 36 it's a clear indication the band has not worked for you , therefore you should discuss with your doctor to have it removed , and perhaps doing a sleeve at the same time. I couldn't get the sleeve when I had my band removed because I had an emergency removal.

I wouldn't recommend Mexico ! I wouldn't let a doctor in a 3 world country touch me ! That's my opinion ! If anything goes wrong remember you are in Mexico not in the USA. In addition , I wouldn't even take a vacation to Mexico with all the crime in that country . However some people are just desperate for the surgery at a cheap price.

I wouldn't recommend Mexico ! I wouldn't let a doctor in a 3 world country touch me ! That's my opinion ! If anything goes wrong remember you are in Mexico not in the USA. In addition ' date=' I wouldn't even take a vacation to Mexico with all the crime in that country . However some people are just desperate for the surgery at a cheap price.[/quote']

Have u been there?

My insurance will cover the revision. However, my doctor won't even consider sending to my insurance since my bmi isn't over 40, it's 35 with no comorbities. I have gone to another dr same issue. So off to Mexico I go!