Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Solution for Gagging Down Premier Protein Shakes

My nutritionist warned me that I would soon loathe Protein Shakes. Boy was she right. I’m 4.5 weeks post op and have to force myself to gag down a Protein shake every day to ensure I get enough in. This morning I tried something different and I’m so thrilled with it that I just had to share.

Firstly, I must say that I’m not one for taking the time to concoct fancy Protein shakes in the blender. If I can’t grab it and drink it on the go, forget it. So this morning, I opened up a Premier Protein shake (I can only stomach the chocolate flavor, the vanilla tastes like sewage). This time, I added a little bit of skim milk to it. I was amazed… I actually liked it! Not only that, but I could drink it down in a reasonable amount of time. It typically takes me over an hour to get down one 11 oz Premier Protein Shake. With a little bit of milk added, I was able to get it down in half that time.

Okay, this may not seem like a big deal but for me, this is HUGE!

Yes, I add almond milk to mine and shake them up to make them frothy. Figured this out my first week on liquids and it made a huge difference.

I like to add a teaspoon or two of instant Decaf coffee. Tastes amazing! :)

So glad to be hearing all these tips! I will probably try that instand Decaf coffee trick first! Glad you can get your shake down! I hope I won't have any issues when it's my turn... I'm scared!

I tried adding a little milk to mine and my tummy was not happy with it. First time I tried to drink milk though. I will tell on myself lol. I put 1/2 teaspoon of Nestlé Quik in mine and it's just enough to cover that aftertaste. I count the 15 calories, 4 carbs, and 4 sugars in it...not ideal but it's the only way I've found I can get the whole thing down.

I still like the Premier Protein better than any of the others. At 3 1/2 months post op it is the only brand I can tolerate anymore. (I recently tried Body by Vi and that is pretty good too, but it is a mix).

If you like Peanut Butter add some PB2 (powdered peanut butter)...it makes it better! Just mix well!

I second the PB2 suggestion. It's awesome to add to any shake or smoothy!! :)

I am super picky and the Premier Vanilla is the only shake I can tolerate. I love to "play" with them and doctor them all up.

I don't have issues with either flavor, but if you have Torani flavored sugar free syrups try those as welll.

What a great idea!

I am pre-op and trying to get into the swing of drinking these as a Meal Replacement now. I do like the EAS carbadvantage better than premier, but these will be better on the go. I can tolerate them well over a cup of crushed ice. One fits perfectly over a full cup of ice in a large Tervis Tumbler. I like the Syrup idea a LOT.

ok I am pre-op with surgery on May 6, and I admit I am totally new to the Protein Shake world...I never even tried a diet with one, but I have been reading a lot on here and taking notes...how soon post-op can you have skim milk or almond milk? These Premier Protein drinks: they are powders or come pre-mixed in liquid form? Where can you buy PB2 (the Peanut Butter powder), and can you use this in the early weeks pre-surgery? My most important questions have to do with ice and/or freezing the shakes. For some reason, I believe I will be able to tolerate these Protein Shakes better the colder they are...I was intrigued with kakaw's suggestion of freezing the shakes--kakaw, when you do that, how do you "drink" the shake? do you let it melt some and drink with a straw, or do you eat it with a spoon? Can any of these shakes--powdered or otherwise--be mixed in a blender with crushed ice? I know these questions sound ignorant, but I actually am ignorant when it comes to these Protein Drinks.< /p>

I quit doing Protein Shakes LONG ago. I eat a Premier Protein bar most mornings as my Breakfast. 30 g of Protein down without too much muss and fuss.