Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect from the hospital stay?!

April 29th is my sleeve day!!!! 3 weeks...22 days... What in the world have I gotten myself into?! So here's my thing. I am a planner person and I have have no idea what to bring (other than myself and that darn CPAP), what not to bring or nothing! Please help!

i brought a bunch of stuff to the hospital with me: a robe, nightgown, slippers, socks, toiletries, a book, a heating pad, gas-X, hair ties, makeup, my laptop, my phone, etc.

the only things I really needed and used was my chapsitck and my Teddy Bear :)

Thank you so much for that insight. I am trying to prepare in the best way possible. How long did you stay?

I was in for two nights and i was glad. I needed the IV fluids and the pain meds for the first couple of days. after that i was happy to get home. Good luck!!

I had a full day and night and I didn't need anything! I slept most of the time and spent the rest of the time pressing that button with my pain meds! Lol! Just be sure you bring some comfy, loose fitting clothes to go home in.

All I brought was my CPAP and cell phone. I only needed the CPAP. :P I wore the hospital gown and screaming yellow anti-slip socks they gave me until it was time to go home.

The one thing you can expect is to get very little rest. Between the nurses coming in every 2 hours to check my vitals or give me meds or get me up to walk, along with all the noise in the hallways. I didn't get much rest in the 2 days I was there. But overall, it wasn't a bad experience.

I brought a robe for walking around! I slept most of the night of surgery & went home first thing the next morning...so really didn't need anything!

Hi Sparkle!

What I've read is that you'll want a small pillow to hold up against your tummy for the car ride home for pot holes/bumps & also to keep between you & your seat belt or if you have to cough or sneeze. I'm already prepared since I always keep one in my car to lean my leg with my bad knee on when riding in the car. Just wanted to mention it, since it sound like a good idea.

I only plan to bring a robe, my crocs (I can't just walk in socks due to a foot issue), my phone, my reading glasses & chap stick. Done. I like to over pack for vacations but not for hospital stays. I want to get outta there as quick as possible! :P

A CPAP is a machine for people with sleep apnea, they use it to make sure they keep breathing while they sleep.

I will only be in for one night baring complications. I am going wear loose fitting clothes there so that I can just change back into them to go home. I am going to being my phone and charger. Gas X, a firm pillow to get up and down with and to put between me and the seat belt on the ride home. I am also contemplation a heating pad.

I am going to wear the hospital gown while I am there and the green non-slip socks they will provide.

Good luck! You will do just fine. :)

Yes, I brought a pillow for my tummy too...but really didn't need it because I wasn't that sore. I also brought a large bowl, & a towel in the car for the ride home...just in case I got sick...but thank goodness I didn't! But gotta think ahead! :-/

So it's 1 to 2 night stay? I thought everyone had a 2 night stay

Nope..every dr is different...some had 1, some had 2...& some even had 3

Thank you everyone for your comments! At least I know just what to bring! Good luck and congrats to post and pre sleevers!

Where comfy clothes to the hospital and where the same ones home although i did bring a couple pair of underwear, and wear a sports bra or something comfortable vs a wire bra since one incision is close to bra line. sugar free cough drops, listerine tabs, slippers and robe. Someone recommended an eye mask and ear plugs but I did not need them.