Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody regretted it, even with no complications?

I'm sorry if you've been asked this already but has anyone regretted their surgery, with no complications? I have a bit of a love affair with food, it's such a part of my social life with my family and friends, we eat out a lot, we gather round the table for family meals every day, we Celebrate with food, we comfort with food, we make up with food... jeez it's all about food. How do you deal with this and did any of you regret it or miss that side of things?

I'm sorry if you've been asked this already but has anyone regretted their surgery' date=' with no complications? I have a bit of a love affair with food, it's such a part of my social life with my family and friends, we eat out a lot, we gather round the table for family meals every day, we Celebrate with food, we comfort with food, we make up with food... jeez it's all about food. How do you deal with this and did any of you regret it or miss that side of things?[/quote']

I think everyone goes through the regret phase, how long that lasts depends entirely on one's way of thinking. Like many on here, I am a food addict so I totally understand what you mean about having a love affair with food..I felt the same way. Having the surgery opened my eyes to the fact that my life revolved around food. When I started with all the pre-op requirements I had also started therapy to tackle certain life issues including my addiction to food. It has helped tremendously, and if its financially possible for you, I recommend talking to a therapist..I've finally come to accept that food can no longer and will no longer be the center of my life and that I must eat to live and NOT live to eat. I wish you lots of luck, this isn't easy, far from it...but if you take it one day at a time, your relationship with food can change.

I am a month out and like you, my friends, family and my social groups are based on food and wine! While I have kept a low profile since surgery, I will be getting back into the swing of things this coming week. What I have noticed with my friends, is that we are all too busy talking to notice what anyone else is eating or not eating. You most likely will not want most of the food and once you are about 6 months out you will be most likely to eat any thing you want, just small amounts.

I plan to enjoy my friends and family, enjoy the company and still eat right for the most part. I plan to have have a glass of wine when I'm out but just not at home every day.

Life will be so much better when you feel healthy and you are past the surgery and recovery and you know what your new tummy can handle. It's just overwhelming now but it won't be. (That's what they say anyway) I believe them.

To answer your question, not one single regret, in fact, everyday I feel so sure in my heart that this is the right path for me! I'm sure you will too!

Haven't had surgery yet (4/17) but I did start therapy about 2 month ago. All of the things you listed are connected to emotions and I wanted to make sure I was strong enough emotionally to handle this. I can say that I now am. Remember, you'll be able to eat all the things you used to eat eventually but a MUCH smaller amount. It's a big decision. Good luck :)

Thank you for your honesty.. well I've made the decision my surgery is scheduled for May 21st so I need to just come to terms with this once and for all I guess. Deep down I know this is going to happen and I just need to deal with this and mourn it for a while. Just hope my husband and family can be supportive as they all love food too!

No! I mean I wondered...what have I done when I felt awful the first day after surgery--but that quickly passed. I am still enjoying the same social things with my friends and family. No one even seems to notice that I don't eat or that I eat a lot less than everyone else. I keep myself busy talking and/or serving or cleaning up (no wonder I am such a popular guest! haha). Also, I bring healthy foods to gatherings, like mixed berries with a Greek yogurt sauce for Easter and they are a HUGE hit. Everyone wants to be healthier. And I get my friends to join me in healthy activities like taking walks together or going to Water aerobics.

Hi. I am only 9 days post-op but I have to say that anyone who would do this to their body out of sheer vanity is NUTS! I would NEVER recommend that!! The hardest part right now is drinking the shakes. Just the thought of another shakes makes me nauseous. I went and bought flavorless Protein powder and add Mio to it so that is helping but this is serious stuff. What I woudn't give for a bite of a cold cut sandwich right now - and I don't even like sandwiches! LOL

Seriously, this surgery can knock you on your ass! I had to get 3 pints of blood in the hospital and am still running a very low bp.

Just be sure you are ready for it. I know it will get easier and I am not at all concerned with my love-affair with food because it was never that hot. I know I will be able to eat pretty much anytime IN MODERATION and AFTER Protein FIRST. If we keep those rules in mind, we can do it.

Good luck to everyone!

I regret it every day. Every time someone posts a similar question about regrets. I respond & speak my truth...I regret it. I would not do it again. I hope I feel differently in time; I am 1 month post-op. I know myself, I don't foresee that happening...but my goal must be now to accept I have done it & make the best out of it.

Best of luck to you! Everybody is different. Many, many people on this site are very happy with their wls decision. Do what is best for you & your situation! Take care!

I am 12 months post op (down 81lb) and I have just been on a 2 week all inclusive holiday ( 1 week hotel followed by 1 week on cruise (in mexico region - i am from UK)). The scales say I have a +4lb on the scales and I am so happy. I have really enjpyed my holiday and joined in everything -I have not regtetted on step of my journey. It may be slow but I am getting there.

I regret it every day. Every time someone posts a similar question about regrets. I respond & speak my truth...I regret it. I would not do it again. I hope I feel differently in time; I am 1 month post-op. I know myself, I don't foresee that happening...but my goal must be now to accept I have done it & make the best out of it.

Best of luck to you! Everybody is different. Many, many people on this site are very happy with their wls decision. Do what is best for you & your situation! Take care!

What specifically do you regret?

I was an emotional eater, loved food. Everything I did surrounded food. Still to this date I go out to eat and have learned to order small Protein first always. I push my food around a lot. I would drink 8 coke zeros a day. Since January 9th, Water only and don't miss my friend (coke zero my fix) at all. I will tell you when I got my first meal at the hospital and it was an oz of Soup and an oz of Jello, I thought oh crap I have really messed up. I had my surgery January 9, 2013, and nothing taste as good as it does when I slip on my clothes and it feels AMAZING. I now eat to live, and don't live to eat. I would do it again, and feel better than I have in years. It was not easy, but it is possible for a better way of life and health. One day at a time, it is worth it to me.

I was hoping you'd respond here. I think it's important for you to voice your views on this topic. You are in the minority here but your experience is just as valid as everyone else's. I know in another thread you mentioned that having had the surgery makes you feel isolated socially. I also hope in time you will see it differently. I did 3 and a half months of an 800 calorie VLCD preop.. it was not easy.. it was like eating like a sleever but with a full size stomach. For the first three months I felt so cut off from everyone since food is such a main part of socialization and since I didn't eat then I didn't go anywhere that had food. Then two weeks before surgery, something clicked for me and I realized that I didn't have to be separated from the socialization just because I was not partaking in the food. The week before surgery my sisters were shocked when they asked "what do you want to do" and I said "Let's go to chinese" I just drank the tea and we talked and had a great time. My not eating was a non-issue. I hope in time, your eating habits and new smaller appetite will become a non issue for you too.

Funny you should post this today. I have never regretted it, BUT I have those days (like today) where I am having head hunger and missing my old life. At least the part where I could eat whatever I wanted and "fill that void". I got on the scale this morning and I gained a pound from last Sunday for no apparent reason. That kind of set the tone for the day, and when I got home from the grocery store, I dug into my box of reduced fat wheat thins and ate a full serving- 16 crackers. (definitely a slider) I didn't go totally off the deep end like I would have pre-surgery, and I did log it, and I am still well under my calorie goal set my MFP, but you do have good days and bad days post-op. No regrets, per se, but you miss your old friend- food in quantity...

-Kendra

I will be 6 weeks out this Thursday. I don't regret it. I went through a couple days (3 at most) early out after surgery of depression and freaking out thinking WTH did I just do to myself, to my life. But, that's over with. I found ways to make me feel not even deprived at all.

I also come from a huge Italian family & I'm from New Orleans. My family is one that feeds you just to shut you up lol & New Orleans - the food is simply amazing. My life, my family, my friends, sadness, holidays, recreation, whatever the occasion was little or small - it was centered around what I was going to eat, with who, and where. Even at meals, we'd talk about what we wanted to eat next. My whole life literally revolved around food. Now sometimes I have to remind and force myself to eat to keep my metabolism going.

Honestly, I don't miss anything. I was never really a sweets person per say, so that aspect has been obsolete because I've never had a taste for it to begin with. I was big fried food, and Condiments person. But, honestly I don't miss those things either. Soft drinks as well, but now I feel so much better drinking just Water.

The three days that I mourned, I cried over the social aspect because I missed my family and eating with them, but now I still eat with them - just smaller portions & I love seeing the results of enjoying them & not feeling deprived.

It is not an easy journey & I think most of us here go through mourning/regret. I wouldn't change having this surgery. If I had to do it all over again, I'm positive I would. I'm 21 & I finally feel like I am in control & I have a chance of getting my life back. I can say no to foods I shouldn't eat & when I'm ready I know I will be prepared to moderately treat myself. I have followed my diet to a "T" and was so creative even on purées that I haven't missed much of anything.

TES - I'd go into detail because I have on similar threads, but I get a lot of negative comments when I do & it has gotten a little too negative for me...so the condensed version - I simply miss my life with food. I miss the life I had. I am hoping & praying it gets better in time.