Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your husband support your decision?

At first my husband did not really like the idea, he tried to pretend like he was being supportive but really he wondered if it was all just a huge waste of money. Now, 4 months post op he is amazed at my progress. I think he is still a little reserved wondering if I can keep it up but on the whole he can't believe how much I have transformed both physically and mentally. He recently told one of our friends that he was scared he wouldn't be able to eat the things he loved anymore too but that this process has helped him eat healthier as well. He did the food funerals when I was doing my pre op diet and at first I thought he was such a jerk but now I understand what he was going through. Just remember that you are doing this for you. Research family sabotage, I know I had found some articles which helped me be prepare for what could lie ahead. Best of luck.

My hubby and I have recently celebrated our first anniversary! Not only is he supportive of my decision to have surgery, he's doing it with me :) We are tentatively scheduled for next Friday but that could change to the following week. We are unbelievably nervous, but very excited to start our new life together!

My hubby and I have recently celebrated our first anniversary! Not only is he supportive of my decision to have surgery, he's doing it with me :) We are tentatively scheduled for next Friday but that could change to the following week. We are unbelievably nervous, but very excited to start our new life together!

My wife and I have been through this together as well, me with the sleeve, her with RNY. We have both reached goal and are as happy as larks.

Here's a thread about us: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/75223-proud-of-my-wife/page__hl__gmanbat#entry764481

My husband was behind me all the way, but the therapist that my program requires you to see suggested that partners/husbands, etc might want to see a therapist to help deal with emotional and jealousy issues that could spring up.

My husband supports me greatly and i love it ! Actually i think i get oin his nerves tlkin about it so much but its only cus im so excited i cnt wait til june !!!!

My husband of 32 years has been my biggest cheerleader, I love him so much and now after 116 lbs lost he is enjoying all the benefits of a healthier wife!

Sent from Gaye's iPad Mini using VST

My husband has been incredibly supportive of me in every attempt I have made to lose weight over the last 19 years... This time, it was a little harder. I was thinking about surgery a few years ago, and he was of the "easy way out" mindset back then. As things progressed, and he met with a therapist who was able to convince him that some people are just "wired" differently and need intervention to accomplish their goals, he began to see that this was really the only option for me. As I went through my pre-op appointments (6 months) he would continually encourage me - "One step closer!" "Keep it up!" Now that I am two weeks post-op and down over 26 pounds, he told me that he was talking to his dad just before my surgery and asked, "Do you think if I buy her a new car, she won't do the surgery?" He was so afraid something would happen to me. His dad convinced him that if this is what I wanted to do, he needed to just stand by me and support me - which is exactly what he did. I am so blessed to have him by my side - and we keep talking about being able to lead a more happy and active lifestyle together for many years to come. After all, that's what this was all about!

Yes, my husband has been super amazing. He suggested WLS to me even before we knew about the sleeve, not because he was disgusted with me (maybe he was, but he never let it show), but because he saw the weight slowly diminishing my abilities. He has been by my side every minute and step, and has modified his lifestyle to coincide with mine. He prepares all his own meals, all three, and in the doing has made healthier choices and trimmed down too (just needed to loose 20-30 pounds).

He is always commenting, "look at her go now", and "you look so lovely". He has not expressed any jealousy, and did not resent the money spent, on either the surgery or my new wardrobe!

What a guy...

My wife losing weight and getting even more attractive was an extra incentive for me to pour on the effort to increase my hotness quotient. I'm pretty happy with myself, no worries about her. B)

Men, don't sit back and whine like babies, ...compete!

I don't mean to be inappropriate, gmanbat, but your hotness quotient is HIGH! You seem like a very caring, expressive man with a level head and a tendency to promote peace, all of which contribute greatly to a man's HOT factor in my book! ;)

My husband has funded all my past diet fads & has never said a word. When I brought up this surgery, he really wasn't for it at first, but he works for BCBS insurance, so he started doing research & had heard of many insurance customers having this procedure & after looking into it further, it's a covered benefit so it made my decision even sweeter. He has always been supportive of me, no matter what hair brained diet I was going to try. Altho, I've been a bit concerned because when I'm sick (which is rare), he acts like he's mad at me, so not sure what he'll be like as I'm recovering. I know he worries about the kids & if I can't care for them (we have an autistic son), because he's at work all day, but my oldest is 17 y/o now so it's a good time. I'm working it out to have the surgery in the summer time so it won't affect my kids school schedule & this way my husband won't have much to worry about.

He knows how much I hate to go downtown & that's where the surgery will be, plus I'll have about 3 to 4 appts down there prior to surgery (everything else has been at our local hospital) & he has said that he'd take me. So he's planning time off to take me to my downtown appts, as well as taking a week off during my surgery, in case I need help when I return home (God willing.) So overall, he's being supportive. I think sometimes he acts "mad at me" when I'm ill because he's worried but who knows?

I'm sure he's excited to have me look like the woman he met! I know I am!

My hubby has supported every weightloss effort I've tried. When I told him I was going to a wls seminar he offered to go with me. I turned him down (someone needed to stay home with our kids). I think he's a little hesitant but fully supportive. Now that I'm three weeks away and getting more excited he is too. He'll go to my preop appt and meet the surgeon and ask all his million questions. Tonight he secured the finances to pay for the part insurance doesn't cover. And he's scheduled himself for a vasectomy so we won't have sleeve babies :)