Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BIG FAT PEOPLE!

But on that note I'm still curious about the

People that say they don't have addictions to food,

And are fat (and not because of medical problems) and are getting this surgery.

I think there is a good amount of denial with some folks, coupled with some very poor behavioral habits. A learned behavior is not an addiction (I don't think anyway). But anyone can learn to eat for comfort, out of fear, or boredom. Many people have learned to eat when they are tired or fatigued....that's a learned behavior that has very real biological enforcers. When we eat certain foods, when tired, we wake up. Therefore we subconsciously crave those foods when tired. Not an addiction, but a very poor eating behavior that will definitely lead to obesity in people who are chronically fatigued or never get enough sleep...and I imagine this is very common amongst folks here (including me).

My point is that yes, food addictions are very real. But very poor eating habits are just as dangerous and very rampant. Come to think of it, that was kinda my point in the post about the lean cuisines. Perhaps I didn't make it very clear then.

But I can't imagine ending up here without one....or all.... of those 3 things (addiction, poor eating habits, thyroid disorder). I've heard many people in the past mention their "slow metabolism." But unless they've had a Resting Metabolic Rate test by breathing into a tube hooked up to a computer, they really don't know.

............... when I eat carbs, I want more carbs. food addiction! ......

Just to point out, this could be addiction but also there is a very real biological response that also causes this. I mentioned it in an earlier post on this thread but the insulin and blood sugar response comes into play every time we eat carbs, especiallys starches. The insulin response not only causes us to store more fat, but leaves us hungry because the fuel we ate didn't get burned for fuel (but rather stored as fat). It's kinda like pouring gasoline into a fuel tank, only the tank has a giant hole in the bottom.

Prader-willi syndrome?

I was watching a show yesterday about a bunch of kids in an in patient facility for this because they eat and eat and eat and never feel full. Granted, it also is accompanied by other issues as its a genetic disorder, so I am not so sure if they would ever be cleared for WLS. I just remember thinking to myself...... Wow. That's way worse than food addiction. Can you even imagine never feeling full and always wanting to eat or else you flip out??? Horrible.

Go figure this thread would be 6 pages long US Fat People are passionate about food lmao!!!

How the heck did I miss this post yesterday!? Laura, again, Great post!

Knowing that I have a disorder (PCOS) that makes it hard to lose weight & keep it off.....I still gorge to excess where I'm in pain & then in an hour I'm ravenous again...It's a never ending cycle with me!

Hi, I'm Molly & I'm a food Addict....For sure!

Thank you to everyone for being so open & sharing! I truly love this site!

I think there is a good amount of denial with some folks, coupled with some very poor behavioral habits. A learned behavior is not an addiction (I don't think anyway). But anyone can learn to eat for comfort, out of fear, or boredom. Many people have learned to eat when they are tired or fatigued....that's a learned behavior that has very real biological enforcers. When we eat certain foods, when tired, we wake up. Therefore we subconsciously crave those foods when tired. Not an addiction, but a very poor eating behavior that will definitely lead to obesity in people who are chronically fatigued or never get enough sleep...and I imagine this is very common amongst folks here (including me).

My point is that yes, food addictions are very real. But very poor eating habits are just as dangerous and very rampant. Come to think of it, that was kinda my point in the post about the lean cuisines. Perhaps I didn't make it very clear then.

But I can't imagine ending up here without one....or all.... of those 3 things (addiction, poor eating habits, thyroid disorder). I've heard many people in the past mention their "slow metabolism." But unless they've had a Resting Metabolic Rate test by breathing into a tube hooked up to a computer, they really don't know.

I love this post! Am I addicted to food no, do I have inappropriate learned and conditioned behaviors when it comes to food yes. I didn't have a box of donuts or twinkie in my hand every time you seen me. My culture and where I was raised believe in serving HUGE portions (if you have every been to HI and eaten at a local restaurant you understand what I mean) add that to the fact that my guardians made us eat or finish our plates when we werent hungry on top of being lazy and you get someone like me! I gained around 25 pds alone last year because my partners diet consist primarily of rice. His culture can eat huge bowls of rice and not gain...me I can't. So, while I do believe I had an unhealthy relationship with food, I would not classify myself as an addict. Call it self denial or believe that I will have issues with regain...but I don't think so. Since my surgery, I don't feel guilty about wasting food by not finishing my plate, I do cardio and strength training 5x a week, and I am feeling great!

I guess it's just how we all approach our "journey" or our "recovery" I certainly did not have a big box of donuts or twinkles sitting in my hand every time someone saw (seen) me... :P

I can even say, I too, was raised in a culture where mass amounts of food were the norm...

When I was younger there would be epic battles with my mom about me not leaving the table until I was done... I would win sometimes (sit for an hour or so). My family loves to feed people, it makes my mother really happy to feed people....

Conditioned? Maybe... But it's on me as an adult to come to terms with my eating not the person next to me thats eating everything in sight.

I have "thyroid"issues.. "Metabolism" issues..

But I'm fat because I did not have the control to stop. All that food filled a hole and it was put in my mouth by me...

Call it self denial or believe that I will have issues with regain...but I don't think so. ' date=' [/quote']

Oh and for the record I don't think that having a different take on your food "issue" is going to set you or anybody else up for regain...

I think regain is possible for anyone that lets food get the better of them....

I guess it's just how we all approach our "journey" or our "recovery" I certainly did not have a big box of donuts or twinkles sitting in my hand every time someone saw (seen) me... :P

I can even say, I too, was raised in a culture where mass amounts of food were the norm...

When I was younger there would be epic battles with my mom about me not leaving the table until I was done... I would win sometimes (sit for an hour or so). My family loves to feed people, it makes my mother really happy to feed people....

Conditioned? Maybe... But it's on me as an adult to come to terms with my eating not the person next to me thats eating everything in sight.

I have "thyroid"issues.. "Metabolism" issues..

But I'm fat because I did not have the control to stop. All that food filled a hole and it was put in my mouth by me...

I definitely agree with you and my condition is definitely my fault and no one else. Some of my colleagues and friends know that I am a big believer in the behaviorist perspective when it comes to learning and conditioning. It saddens me when I see a parent that's morbidly obese and they have a toddler that probably weighs 50+ pounds. Sometimes as adults some of us pass our unhealthy eating habits down to our kids.... do I think those individuals are addicted, not really but luke butterbean said some people don't know what healthy eating looks like and some people are victims before they are really able to make decisions for themselves. And like you stated we have to take responsibility for what we put into our mouth.

Oh and for the record I don't think that having a different take on your food "issue" is going to set you or anybody else up for regain...

I think regain is possible for anyone that lets food get the better of them....

I can honestly say that my outlook on food and free food is definitely changing! They have fundraisers frequently at my job and this lady bought cupcakes and was giving them out. I wasn't tempted (eventhough they looked delicious), but like I explained to my coworker... I just bust my behind in a gym to burn 4-500 calories and I am not about to waste it on a cupcake and plus I didn't want it. Lol now maybe had that been sone shoyu chicken or lau lau...I probably would have taken it :-). Lol

While many if not most of the people here might have unhealthy attachments to food, I still think it's more complex than just that. I would agree that if you are a food addict that eats to satisfy emotional needs then you will need to get help with those issues beyond just getting sleeved or anything else you might do.

But as research progresses its becoming clear it's not cut and dry. 99% of Americans have an unhealthy relationship with their food. 99% of Americans consume more than they need to, and consume large quantities of carb heavy food. While obesity and diabetes are on the rise as a result, only about 30% to 35% of Americans are overweight and depending on the study between 5% and 10% are morbidly obese. That means 60%+ of Americans eat unhealthy quantities and types of foods because of emotional/binge/stress eating or eating for pleasure and all the other reasons people eat beyond basic sustenance yet remain at a normal weight.

At the same time if you read the behind the scenes stories to programs like "The Biggest Loser" and see what they are doing to get those results, they are nearly un-achievable results in the real world. Yes being locked away from food and having it rationed out the way they do while forcing many hours a day of exercise will reduce weight, it doesn't generally work as fast or last as long as certain procedures like the sleeve.

As you compare the sleeve and its efficacy to other surgeries that are restrictive only like the Lap-Band it outperforms them. If you put someone on the exact same diet a VSG patient gets they will lose weight but not generally as fast or efficiently as someone without the sleeve.

Yes someone with serious food addictions to the wrong kinds of foods can "eat around" their sleeve and achieve limited to no results, it's still more complex than just labeling everyone a food addict because of their weight.

In regards to Pelekania's second post should of quoted her...

We do! The one thing I'm happy about is that as a parent I do everything opposite with my children than what was done with me! The one easy thing about a crappy childhood, you know what not to do :)

My children are healthy and active and eat for the most part what I make and are aware of labels and know that junk food is just that " junk" food.< /p>

I have a friend who is morbidly obese (she was not happy with me doing this) and I've always felt so sad for her daughter because she has grown up on her mothers believes that it's ok..

I never thought being morbidly obese was ok.

And it's been my battle not my children's thank god!

In regards to Pelekania's second post should of quoted her...

We do! The one thing I'm happy about is that as a parent I do everything opposite with my children than what was done with me! The one easy thing about a crappy childhood, you know what not to do :)

My children are healthy and active and eat for the most part what I make and are aware of labels and know that junk food is just that " junk" food.< /p>

I have a friend who is morbidly obese (she was not happy with me doing this) and I've always felt so sad for her daughter because she has grown up on her mothers believes that it's ok..

I never thought being morbidly obese was ok.

And it's been my battle not my children's thank god!

That's great that you are doing that!

That's great that you are doing that!

I have to say its especially nice to see my 16 year old daughter live a life that is healthy and not have to go through the misery that weight issues cause!