Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain comparison to broken ribs?

I've seen several comparisons of post-op pain to C-sections, but having never had children, I can't relate.

I have, however, had cracked ribs, so how will the post-op pain compare to that?

(BTW, the only thing that really got me with the ribs was a sneeze or a sudden twist. Coughing and general movement was not too bad. sleeping, however, was uncomfortable in any position for 6 weeks!)

I don't think it will be that uncomfortable. Having had two c-sections and my sleeve on March 6th. Never had cracked ribs though but imagine that would hurt more. This was far easier. Yes, for the first week, a sneeze is your most feared thing. It was mine. Coughing was almost as bad for the first 5 days or so. sleeping was uncomfortable for the first 5-6 days but mostly because I am not a back sleeper and it was the only way I could sleep. After a about 5 days, could start sleeping on my side more especially with some creative pillow placement. One month out tomorrow and life is good. Really after a week, all was well in my world, even with these pesky spring allergies. Have sneezed up a storm the last few weeks and all is good.

If you can handle the cracked ribs, you will just fine my friend! You got this!

I've had a cracked rib, and this surgery is a walk in the park in comparison. It is more of a low level ache than the stabbing/throbbing pain you get after you crack a rib. To me the pain was the same kind of body ache you would get with the flu. Honestly this surgery is not terrible and the results you will achieve will be worth every ounce of pain you go through. Good luck with your surgery journey!

I've never had a broken rib, but I've had a broken foot and I would pick this surgery over that any day. That sucked big time.

Uh, no cracked ribs here but I'd take the pain from VSG surgery over a sprained ankle! That was MY experience.. Unfortunately not everyone has the same experience so you really can't compare.. I mean there are people who can barely get out of bed and are dry heaving for days.. All I had was a few waves of nausea and some stomach spasms that went away pretty quickly.

Fractured ribs three seperate times. Surgery is nothing.

Thanks everybody - 4 days to go and the nerves are kicking in. Just trying to figure out how long I'll be "out of the game"!

Thanks everybody - 4 days to go and the nerves are kicking in. Just trying to figure out how long I'll be "out of the game"!

Drugs. They are there for a reason. Ask early and often. Stay ahead of the pain and nausea. I was all over it for the 1st 48 hours and never had nausea and was off pain meds about 3 days out. I am pretty sure I didn't need all I took but nausea and dry heaves were something I wanted to avoid at all costs.