Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else intolerant of protein shakes?

I am 12 weeks out from surgery and have always had an intolerance for the Protein Shakes, pre-op and post-op. Needless to say, I am weak quite often, but make sure I eat Protein first. Are there any other sleevers who have an intolerance to protein shakes and bars? If so, are you able to get the necessary amounts of protein in your diet? And fluids, as well. Still having a tough time getting all the fluids in each day.

Have you tried egg Protein powders?

I am 12 weeks out from surgery and have always had an intolerance for the Protein shakes' date=' pre-op and post-op. Needless to say, I am weak quite often, but make sure I eat Protein first. Are there any other sleevers who have an intolerance to protein shakes and bars? If so, are you able to get the necessary amounts of protein in your diet? And fluids, as well. Still having a tough time getting all the fluids in each day.[/quote']

I kept drinking and running to the bathroom - even with the ones that are suppose to be lactose free mixed with Lactaid skim milk. I now have to take the Lactaid pills before I have yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese and the shakes - and it's working no more problems. I took 2 Lactaid pills and drank a premiere Protein shake the other day and it sent me running, but the nectar Protein powders don't. Good luck!

Have you tried egg Protein powders?

No, I haven't. I am not too familiar with the various Protein powders.

I kept drinking and running to the bathroom - even with the ones that are suppose to be lactose free mixed with Lactaid skim milk. I now have to take the Lactaid pills before I have yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese and the shakes - and it's working no more problems. I took 2 Lactaid pills and drank a premiere Protein shake the other day and it sent me running, but the nectar Protein powders don't. Good luck!

What is different about the nectar Protein powders?

I am not doing the shakes, either. I tried several brands & flavors...the smell & taste really got to me. My nut said my taste buds have changed & my sense of smell. I just had my 1 month follow-up - she really wants me to get in at least 1 shake per day, but I am getting in close to 70 grams of Protein now that I can have eggs, fish, cheese, Beans, etc...so I hope that helps me from losing lots of hair down the road when that time comes. I am going to try one more brand GNC total lean - a friend recommended it, but I don't have a GNC close, so next time I'm on a road trip, I am going to try them. They are already made.

I am struggling with the Fluid, too. I started using a straw ( I know it is supposed to be a no-no), but it is helping me get in some more Fluid. I am averaging about 32 oz a day. I hate Water & the flavors, but I am continuing to try.

I know Hair loss is worse if you don't get in the Protein. I know weight loss slows without the fluid.

What is different about the nectar Protein powders?

To me they don't have that weird whey Protein taste.

Hi! I am new today to this forum, but not new to VSG forums...I just closed my acct at Obesity Help today and came here due to their "politics"...I already feel a different more positive vibe here and this is my first post. I had my first VSG surgery in late 2008 and had another one this last December for a smaller bougie (did not stretch out the 1st one, just always felt it was too big). I have been using various Protein Shakes since the 1990's and have tried most if them. The only one I can tolerate is the Premier Protein shake which is pre-made and not a powder. They sell them at costco & Sam's Club for a reasonable price...they are definitely one of my main staples!

I just started Jay Robb egg Protein powder...omg it's like night and day!! It doesn't taste bad and actually is good!

Hi! I am new today to this forum, but not new to VSG forums...I just closed my acct at Obesity Help today and came here due to their "politics"...I already feel a different more positive vibe here and this is my first post. I had my first VSG surgery in late 2008 and had another one this last December for a smaller bougie (did not stretch out the 1st one, just always felt it was too big). I have been using various Protein shakes since the 1990's and have tried most if them. The only one I can tolerate is the Premier Protein shake which is pre-made and not a powder. They sell them at costco & Sam's Club for a reasonable price...they are definitely one of my main staples!

Welcome!

Are the Premier shakes thick or not so thick? I have an issue with the smell of them, too.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your suggestions!

Welcome!

Are the Premier shakes thick or not so thick? I have an issue with the smell of them, too.

They are not that thick...about like chocolate milk (costco & Sam's Club sell them in vanilla also & Premier makes a strawberry also). I have not been a milk drinker for over 50 yrs but I can tolerate this brand just fine and have never noticed a smell to them, but maybe you have a heightened sense of smell. I have a friend who swears by Tiger Milk Protein shakes, but I cannot tolerate their smell or taste...VERY mediciney! Maybe this is why I like Premier...they do not have a smell or strange chalky (like most powders) taste. I think GNC sells them as well if you just want to try one. IF you are a coffee drinker, you can add some coffee flavor to the chocolate and have mocha. If I were you, I would find the best liquid already made Protein Drink I could tolerate and then experiment with adding my own preferred flavors to make it more enjoyable. Protein Shakes are so important to this VSG process. Good Luck!

I am 12 weeks out from surgery and have always had an intolerance for the Protein shakes' date=' pre-op and post-op. Needless to say, I am weak quite often, but make sure I eat Protein first. Are there any other sleevers who have an intolerance to protein shakes and bars? If so, are you able to get the necessary amounts of protein in your diet? And fluids, as well. Still having a tough time getting all the fluids in each day.[/quote']

I'm about 6 weeks out and i can't tolerate any type of Protein shake. I've tried Atkins, premier, Isopure, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and even Protein Bars. I can't keep any of them down.

I know each surgeons guidelines are different but I'm eating regular foods. Just recently I've been able to get protein in from food. I had to increase my calories to make it possible but i feel better. I mostly eat cheese, eggs, tuna, chicken, kashi bar high in protein, natural Peanut Butter, ak wak brand crakers abd weight watchers fudge bars. I wasn't given and specific guidelines as far as grams of carbs, fats etc. I'm meeting with a dietian next week.

Hang in there and do as much as you can.

my guess is if you can't stand the smell you won't continue to drink it for long...I've heard the premier shakes are thicker but not sure

Welcome!

Are the Premier shakes thick or not so thick? I have an issue with the smell of them' date=' too.[/quote']

I thought the premier shakes were thick. The taste wasn't bad but kinda weird to swallow. I made the mistake of buying an entire case from Sams club. I've seen the 4 pack of the premier shakes at Walgreens if you want to give them a try.