Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

kidney stones and protein

Can a person get kidney stones due to having to much Protein? I have pain in my Right lower back side. It comes and goes. I do suffers from sciatica, but have not have not had an episode for 2 years. Also, i drink about 100 gm of protein and eat right. I only drink about 4 cups of Water a day. Help!!

Sounds like you need to up your Water 4 cups isn't enough

Can a person get kidney stones due to having to much Protein? I have pain in my Right lower back side. It comes and goes. I do suffers from sciatica, but have not have not had an episode for 2 years. Also, i drink about 100 gm of Protein and eat right. I only drink about 4 cups of Water a day. Help!!

to much protein, salt, Calcium can cause kidney stones, but being dehydrated is one the the biggest causes of kidney stones, it causes uric asid . u need at least 8 8oz glasses Water a day.. i had kidney stones before my sleeve, 1 still hasnt passed, but i have not gotten any new stones since my sleeve. i do not take a calcuim pill, i take a really good multi vit. and only once a day. im a female, so i get about 60-80 grams of protien a day

also i do get pain in the same spot were the stone is the pain comes and goes, dr said nothing can be done until the stone leaves my kidney

I've been struggling with post-op kidney stones (all passed in my urine so far) and here is what my medical team said/recommended:

* it's important to eat a low oxalate diet (you can google this)

* you have to output at least 64 oz of water/day, so that means you have to drink a lot more than that--I try for 100-120 oz when I can

I don't think that the extra Protein in and of itself can cause kidney stones. Be sure to go to the ER if you have severe pain, especially with chills or a fever.

There is an extremely unlikely chance that you have taken in enough Protein to actually have any negative effects on your kidney function. Too many people believe things that simply are not true, and start spreading junk information regarding them. You're drinking 4 cups of Water a day, That's 32 US ounces, I believe the common ground is 64 ounces of water a day for a sedentary lifestyle. Yes, there have been people with diminished kidney function, who had a pre existing condition who relate protein to kidney issues, however there is very limited scientific data supporting the two are related. 100g of protein is nothing to be concerned about, lack of water however, is like walking on a tight rope across the atlantic.

Be careful with Calcium intake too, the main culprit for stones and most common ones are calcium stones. A large part comes from high calcium (mainly dairy) intake and lack of Water through the system. If your diet is heavy in calcium, it's imperative to get in enough water to offset the calcium build up through your body. No worries, we're learning and making changes. If the pain persists, I'd definitely look in to it though, better safe than sorry.

And as an fyi...80% of kidney stones are Calcium based, and 80% of those are calcium oxalate. So it's likely that your stones are oxalate--which is why the low oxalate diet is so important. My RD said it's far more important to get in enough Water though--remember, enough to output (urinate) 64 oz/day, which means you need to consume at least 100 oz.

What about gallbladder? Your gallbladder is on the right side. So if you have a gallbaddler, you may want to contact your doctor and they can order and ultra sound to correctly diagnose this......Hope it's not kidney stones...... :)