Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friend has CML- leukemia- can she get sleeve?

This is a chronic form that you could live with forever and she really wants to get the sleeve.

Her oncologist said it's fine, she's scheduled for the info. session.

Any thoughts or experience out there?

Thanks for any advice/info.

Chronic myelogenous leukemia is cancer that starts inside bone marrow, the soft tissue inside bones that helps form blood cells. (Google)

Marty

sorry about your friends leukemia :(

oncologist being on board with the surgery is great :)

doc can speak on her behalf to insurance company for WLS approval

her leukemia per say won't improve, but................

many other medical aspects will get better or disappear (diabetes, high blood pressure et al) :)

her medical/mental well being will improve, feeling happier that she is not carrying extra weight/luggage

she is lucky to have a friend like you watching out for her best interests :)

i wish her well :)

Marty

80 lb down, down, down the toilet - FLUSH!!!! :D

you are doing wonderful with your weight loss :)

keep up the good work

kudos :)

My good friend was diagnosed with CML a few years ago after already having thyroid cancer. She is doing great. Has been in remission thanks to Gleevic for quite some time now. I don't know about the surgery with it, but I do know that she is happy and healthy right now.

Thanks Kathy for the encouragement and kudos! I love the sleeve!

Well I'll let you all know what I find out when she goes though the hoops. Hopefully she's approved.

The only thing I could think of is PAIN. She wouldn't be able to take the ulcer procucing ones like Ibuprofen but she can't take tylenol because of the liver issue of leukemia...so that's a problem. But I'm sure for rare extreme pain she'd have those or other short term choices.

On 4/7/2013 at 8:31 AM, Marty McSkinnystein said:

Well I'll let you all know what I find out when she goes though the hoops. Hopefully she's approved.

The only thing I could think of is PAIN. She wouldn't be able to take the ulcer procucing ones like Ibuprofen but she can't take tylenol because of the liver issue of leukemia...so that's a problem. But I'm sure for rare extreme pain she'd have those or other short term choices.

Did everything go ok?

On 4/7/2013 at 8:31 AM, Marty McSkinnystein said:

I work in leukemia trials and the patients take tylenol all the time. Maybe she has a particular liver issue? But patients with leukemia often take prescription/opioid pain medication depending on the stage of their disease. Also, my surgery center says that patients with sleeve can take liquid, chewable, or capsule NSAIDs, just not tablet and they should take with acid reducers. So she may be able to take some NSAIDS, depending on a number of factors.