Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bizarre trend?

Thanks --- Specifically

You, specifically, are welcome... ;-)

Are you being facetious? :-D

Thanks --- Specifically

You' date=' specifically, are welcome... ;-)

Are you being facetious? :-D[/quote']

Enough of the tit for tat ok???

OMG this is not about Mexico !!!

We get it Mexico is AWESOME....

I am wondering after yesterday, when several of these women popped up, our first reaction is to get a bit defensive and judgmental. We are trying to point out a flaw in them, and their thinking.

I agree they piss me off too. .

But I also think that if there was something like a regret sub-forum, not the first couple of days of the whining "oh I just can't stand the pain and the shakes and I want a Big Mac"

sh*t but real regrets

Maybe that would be something important for all this fast food instant gratification mentality I see around these days...

I think we're just brainstorming about why people would regret surgery after the initial pain and "food stages" are over with. No need to get defensive about MX. I got mine in MX with no follow up. Everything is working out great for me. Not only did I spend a year researching the sleeve, I've spent the last 10 years researching nutrition. I just couldn't stop myself from overeating. The sleeve fixed that for me and I'm thankful.

Everyone deals with things differently. Maybe food wasn't as much of a crutch for me as I thought. Maybe it is for someone else. Or maybe they thought this would be a lot easier than it is. Maybe they just did attain all the knowledge they should have. I do hope those struggling find peace and get excited for their new shot at life!

I am wondering after yesterday' date=' when several of these women popped up, our first reaction is to get a bit defensive and judgmental. We are trying to point out a flaw in them, and their thinking.

I agree they piss me off too. .

But I also think that if there was something like a regret sub-forum, not the first couple of days of the whining "oh I just can't stand the pain and the shakes and I want a Big Mac"

sh*t but real regrets

Maybe that would be something important for all this fast food instant gratification mentality I see around these days...[/quote']

You are so right on.. I stay away a bit from this forum for that reason

Everyone deals with things differently. Maybe food wasn't as much of a crutch for me as I thought. Maybe it is for someone else. Or maybe they thought this would be a lot easier than it is. Maybe they just did attain all the knowledge they should have. I do hope those struggling find peace and get excited for their new shot at life!

I hear they make medicine for that!! lol hopefully they can find the resources on here to figure it out..

I think it's this magical thinking....get the surgery and you can keep doing what you are doing and magically be thin in like a month. These types of posts should be coupled with the people who post that they are upset because they "only" lost 50 lbs their first 6 weeks so they must be a slow loser. This is the same type of thinking that people use when they judge people who get surgery by saying it's the easy way out. I guess the only way to truly understand what it entails is by actually having the surgery. if people go into it with unrealistic expectations, they end up disappointed and regret it. I know even when I had LASIK, the big thing that helped me be happy with the outcome (I had some side effects) was to go into it with realistic expectations.

Dang, I'm looking into LASIK and now you have me curious...

No, no... I will not hijack the thread (slaps own hand from keyboard)

:X

Dang, I'm looking into LASIK and now you have me curious...

No, no... I will not hijack the thread (slaps own hand from keyboard)

:X

haha...I have some halos around lights at night (common side effect--but I'm used to it now) and sometimes I see a rainbow prism around white light from my left eye only (extremely unusual side effect). It's really the new normal to me after 9 years or so (sort of like how our mind now thinks half a cup of food is a normal portion of food, to keep this on topic) and I LOVE being able to work out (also on topic) and not worry about glasses, especially when swimming, or walking when it's hot or cold (no foggy glasses). Also like to wake up in the middle of the night and be able to see the digital clock.

Mutants will be mutants no matter where they mutated from :D

medical pot is the real answer.

I am an engineer and we have a saying "You can't Engineer for stupid"

I am an engineer and we have a saying "You can't Engineer for stupid"

AMEN!

Even I'm not that lazy! I read all the responses as not to be redundant....

And I have the balls to say that right now PDX because chances are you will skip over it!

:P

He he... I read from my Android phone a lot during the day' date=' but I also spend a lot of time reading from my desktop or laptop. Either way, I try to read entire threads, but I certainly agree that not seeing the signatures is a loss of info and sometimes some much-needed context (for example, it seems to me that the regretters who don't have complications are most often in the first two months post surgery, which I've gleaned from reading signatures and looking at profiles). It certainly makes a difference in how I react to and absorb a post to understand where someone is in the process, and maybe a bit about how much pre and post surgery they've had.

I also think that the perception of increase in the number of regrets is that a'] a large number of the regretters post a LOT and b] a fairly large number of them are in those early phases where they're perhaps dealing with head hunger and don't realize it, or for whatever reason they didn't really understand the restrictions they'd be under, regardless of how much it was told to them. A number of people have frankly said if you'd asked them the first few weeks or months they'd have told you they regretted it, but now are really glad they did it.

And yes, I do think a number of people who jump into this quickly without doing a lot of research and contemplation STILL think it's a magic bullet. Those are the ones that really bother me, honestly. I'm not sure I get how you could have been reading this site for months and NOT know you'll have to be on liquids for a while, and no, you can't cheat without risking complications. No, you can't eat ice cream every meal, even if it is only 3 oz. at a time, and expect to lose 50 lbs. in the first two months.

Sorry, this us a pet peeve of mine so I needed to rant for a moment. I'm back to being calm and cheerful again. Carry on! :P

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

I can only speak for myself but, I am very happy with my VGS!! No regrets now at 11 months and 112# off. However, I did have complications the first 2 months and wondered whether I had done the right thing. Never true regret. Never posted any regrets, either.

I am Kim and yes, I am a recovering compulsive overeater. I have gone to OA, so I know that there tools to use to get thru food cravings and abnormal feelings toward food. Also, I lost 96# of my 200 I needed to lose on my own while I researched the VSG and waited for insurance approval. Also had to save money for it. So, I guess I've never looked at it as a quick fix/magic cure for obesity. I'm just so darned happy to have my health back, look amazing, feel great!! I have a very busy social life, too. Plus, I still see a therapist to talk to about my WLS journey, the same therapist who gave me his blessing pre-op. I feel sorry for those who have regrets. If there is anyone out there who needs a WLS friend to talk to private message me.

Yes, I think that you can be underprepared or uninformed even if your surgeon has a great pre- and post-op program. A great example is that I read a poster tell someone that you shouldn't have Protein during the first couple of weeks post-op because your body can't process it at that point. I posted that actually my surgeon stresses how important Protein is during those first couple of weeks, to help you heal--he also says that not enough protein during the first 2 weeks is one of the major causes of hair loss later on. I said it nicely and said maybe our surgeons just have different approaches. But I wanted the OP to have the correct info. Then I happened to see that the person who said that about protein not being a good idea the first couple of weeks post-op had the same surgeon that I do!!! I felt like they (surgeon, handouts, RDs, PAs) told me so many times how important the protein was. It was in the book we were given, which I literally read through 3x while I was waiting around on pre-op testing day. Then I read it again after surgery, went over it in post-op appts, and we went thru it page by page on pre-op day in a group setting. Plus the RD stressed it so much in my pre-op and post-op appts. I am not criticizing the person who made this comment, but it is just an illustration of how even when people are given the same tools, they may have different impressions. It reminds me of people saying their surgeon didn't tell them what to eat/drink on full liquids. Really? I mean, if I weren't given a meal plan for something that important, I would have chosen a different surgeon (we received ours before surgery). The post-op care is just as important as the actual surgery. I'm actually really glad my insurance required 6 months of pre-op medical and nutritional appts, too. That really helped prepare me.

TES, I would agree I was sleeved in Mexico and Dr. Aceves sent me everything before surgery and answered all my questions. Every person no matter where they have surgery needs to understand what they are getting into before surgery. I do know that I have given the same teaching to 2 people at the same time and they both walked away with different things. Those with regrets seem to be the ones who are either having complications they didn't expect or were not mentally ready for the changes to thier lives. People seem to forget this is a major surgery and anatomy altering one at that. You may not be at the hospital long but you still need to take it seriously in the effect it will have on your life.