Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bizarre trend?

It's probably the lifestyle change. It is hard but I personally was fully prepared and ready. I haven't really had any issues.

I agree Jenny! I've researched for over a yr & I've done my 6 months for insurance & then some.

I'm a 'Serial' dieter & I need help! I believe the sleeve is the TOOL for me!

I have also noticed people who really, really regret it speaking out, but I wonder if it seems like a lot because once someone says something, others with the same thoughts chime in. It's also different from the norm we see a lot of here - people with good results who are happy. This got me thinking, and I looked at Alex's poll. If the poll results are any indication of the general concencus from the boards, I'm thinking it might not be a trend at all. The overwhelming majority would do it again. Check out the latest poll results

post-47785-13813664487502_thumb.png

I dunno Laura, I think it has to do mostly with the mental and physical aspects of going through all this. One of the things that I notice that might contribute to the regret thing is that a lot is that people aren't prepared for the surgery. Typically you see them complaining about the pre-op diet, or they don't like the taste of Protein Shakes etc. They want to start eating a week or so right after surgery. To me that's a clue to me, that they aren't taking the whole thing as serious as they need to and those seemed to be the ones that voice the most regret. I also see a lot of people in pain and can't eat or drink, and I wonder about that too? Maybe I'm one of the mutants that got lucky. I've never had any "symptoms" like that. I followed my Drs orders exactly (well except for that whole eating enough thing) and I got my butt in shape pre-op (well as good as I could) and I never looked back. Never had a problem drinking or eating much of anything. I'm not 100% happy losing a pound a week, but it is going down not up and a year ago I couldn't say that. My soon-to-be ex still doesn't get how I was able to get sleeved on a Tuesday, go back to work on a Monday and hit the gym the same week, then two weeks post op, fly from NC to NM with my staples still in and not once have a problem. You just got to suck it up and deal, and maybe that's what we are seeing a lack of... I dunno...

I wanted to eat! I love to eat! I had this surgery to essentially "take my free will away" for a expanded amount of time so I could further work on these issues. This is what I signed up for, pain from a major surgery and the ability to eat copious amounts of "bad" food ripped away from me!!!!

Ok deep breath rant over :P

Edit;

That's my favorite "I just don't like the shakes"

Ok now I'm done hehehe

I agree with you Laura, and John and Amanda. There are alot more people with regrets. I was at a support group meeting and this guy openly stated that he sees something that he wants and really wants to just eat it all and he can't. This is why he regrets it. It is truly a mental thing. I myself do not regret it, but I need to put in alot of work on the mental part of it. I realize this and I am scheduling my psych appointment along with a nutritionist. My doctor was a lapband doc who didn't have a full program of aftercare or recommendations, just a sheet that says if you need it, its here. I know the mental part is the hardest for me, but I have researched WLS for 3 years before I got it done. Sad to see people have had major surgery to change their lifestyle but regret it because they have to still work for the weight loss.

I'm wondering if after having the surgery some people are realizing that it's not easy like they thought it would be. I will admit I use to think that if I could just have WLS I would magically get thin and my whole life would be different and better and I would never be fat again. LOL Well that ain't so! You still have to work at it, thin doesn't change everything in your life but your size and you certainly can gain weight again. It's just a thought.

I dunno Laura, I think it has to do mostly with the mental and physical aspects of going through all this. One of the things that I notice that might contribute to the regret thing is that a lot is that people aren't prepared for the surgery. Typically you see them complaining about the pre-op diet, or they don't like the taste of Protein shakes etc. They want to start eating a week or so right after surgery. To me that's a clue to me, that they aren't taking the whole thing as serious as they need to and those seemed to be the ones that voice the most regret. I also see a lot of people in pain and can't eat or drink, and I wonder about that too? Maybe I'm one of the mutants that got lucky. I've never had any "symptoms" like that. I followed my Drs orders exactly (well except for that whole eating enough thing) and I got my butt in shape pre-op (well as good as I could) and I never looked back. Never had a problem drinking or eating much of anything. I'm not 100% happy losing a pound a week, but it is going down not up and a year ago I couldn't say that. My soon-to-be ex still doesn't get how I was able to get sleeved on a Tuesday, go back to work on a Monday and hit the gym the same week, then two weeks post op, fly from NC to NM with my staples still in and not once have a problem. You just got to suck it up and deal, and maybe that's what we are seeing a lack of... I dunno...

Lol, John I did pretty much the same thing!!! Had my surgery on a Friday, kids birthdays were Sunday/Monday, I was back at work Wednesday and working out the following week and I flew from TX to AZ about 2 weeks out.

I wanted to eat! I love to eat! I had this surgery to essentially "take my free will away" for a expanded amount of time so I could further work on these issues. This is what I signed up for, pain from a major surgery and the ability to eat copious amounts of "bad" food ripped away from me!!!!

Ok deep breath rant over :P

That's what I'm talking about. I wanted to buy some time to get as healthy as possible and the surgery is doing that for us. I think the expectation for some of the reqretters is that the weight would magically fall off within a week or so and they could go back to doing what they did pre-op. HelI don't think that I've ever worked this hard to lose weight and I think that gets overlooked. I also see that a lot of folks just don't have a support system in place, maybe its the ones that go to MX but they don't seem to have access to a nutritionist or they don't bring in their PCP for support. It takes a team.

That's what I'm talking about. I wanted to buy some time to get as healthy as possible and the surgery is doing that for us. I think the expectation for some of the reqretters is that the weight would magically fall off within a week or so and they could go back to doing what they did pre-op. HelI don't think that I've ever worked this hard to lose weight and I think that gets overlooked. I also see that a lot of folks just don't have a support system in place, maybe its the ones that go to MX but they don't seem to have access to a nutritionist or they don't bring in their PCP for support. It takes a team.

I totally agree! My fave is " I've only lost 10,20,40 pounds or whatever in 4 weeks, whats wrong with me......really cause I don't think you gained 50-150 pounds in 4 weeks so why expect to lose it that quickly. You certainly don't lose that much quicker that you gain. We all just want a magic bullet that's going to make us skinny.

Just a thought, but maybe VSG has become the trend and people are leaping without doing enough looking? Or perhaps the food addiction part isn't truly being addressed preop? Maybe expecting a magical cure all?

I'm not saying this is the case, but it's "food for thought."

I have noticed this, too, and I have been a member here now for almost two years. I think Amanda is spot on.

The surgery is becoming more popular and people are getting it done because, "I know a friend who had it done and they look great," so, they jump in without really doing the proper research. They don't realize the recovery time from a surgery alone is difficult, then add in the whole eating component, and they are like, "WTF!!"

Sad news is, it's is only going to get worse as more and more people jump in without looking. All they know is that their friend is skinny now and they want to be skinny, too. Like some folks out there who criticize WLS, these folks think this is an easy answer to obesity. When they learn it isn't, they have regrets.

I can't speak for others, but as it applies to me... I needed to be just "over" food as a hobby and recreation and emotional support and whatever else I thought it gave me before I was ready for the sleeve. I wrestled with the decision for a couple of years, and that is from someone who was previously banded and failed miserably at it.

It was like breaking up with a bad boyfriend...lol. I did that BEFORE my surgery but my hunger is what drove me to eat and I needed the surgery to help me with the hunger - the bottomless pit of a stomach.

The sleeve... set me free. I was able to not only dump the "bad boyfriend", but sent him packing with no regrets!

Everyone should be crystal clear - the sleeve does NOT fix the brain and emotions... In fact, the sleeve will introduce NEW emotional challenges so screw that head on straight before going under the knife. :)

And several of you have mentioned the work and support - I agree with that too.

I intentionally picked a surgical practice with a mandatory support follow up (nutrition and exercise). I knew that I would deny I needed it, but i would need it. I am quite sure that was what took me from losing maybe 70-80% of my excess to getting to goal.

I work out, i watch what I eat... hey wait, you mean I am behaving like most "naturally" think women my age do to maintain their weight? What - you mean it isn't just EASY for everybody else and I am the only one? Alot of it is you need to get over yourself and just do the work, do what needs doing - just like everybody else has to. The surgery just helped me, gave me a fighting chance, it is still up to me.

Everyone should be crystal clear - the sleeve does NOT fix the brain and emotions... In fact, the sleeve will introduce NEW emotional challenges so screw that head on straight before going under the knife. :)

I think I even told this to a poster once. The surgery is on the the stomach, not the brain. A lot of what got us the where we are, is between the ears and that's the part that WLS surgery isn't going to fix. That's why getting support is so important and is a big piece that gets left out of the equation.

That's what I'm talking about. I wanted to buy some time to get as healthy as possible and the surgery is doing that for us. I think the expectation for some of the reqretters is that the weight would magically fall off within a week or so and they could go back to doing what they did pre-op. HelI don't think that I've ever worked this hard to lose weight and I think that gets overlooked. I also see that a lot of folks just don't have a support system in place' date=' maybe its the ones that go to MX but they don't seem to have access to a nutritionist or they don't bring in their PCP for support. It takes a team.[/quote']

Please, don't pigeonhole us Mexi-Sleevers, if that's what you're doing. I've done nothing but eat, sleep, and drink VSG and VSG/Mx for well over a year. My PCP being on board for WLS/Mx was also important to me. I don't believe I'm the exception either. The very fact that we are traveling to another country for surgery in and of itself is indicative of the need for extensive research.

Amanda Rae