Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biotin - any success stories?

I'm 5 months out and my hair is thinning badly! I just bought some Biotin (2500 mcg) and was wondering how many sleevers have had success?

I've been taking Biotin since Day 1. I am six months out, and it hasn't stoped my hair from thinning out in bunches. Hoping it stops soon,

I took a combination of Biotin, silica (horsetail), and zinc. This is the combination that showed up in my online reseach at having the best effect in your future hair growh. I will say that after 2-3 weeks of taking it, my Hair loss slowed down. Now, I have a TON of little short 1-2 inch long hairs growing in. So, even though it got scary there for a few months, I think that now I'll be fine!

I've been taking 10,000mg x 2 each day since my op, along with horsetail and B2 and B complex - my hair has grown like weeds but now that I'm almost 6 months out, my hair is falling out as quickly - although I'm not overly concerned due to the rate it is growing back in. HOpe that it works for you.

Is Hair loss a common side effect of the surgery? Does supplementing vitamins/minerals beforehand help? I know its not unusual to lose hair after any surgery. Eek!

Is hair loss a common side effect of the surgery? Does supplementing vitamins/minerals beforehand help? I know its not unusual to lose hair after any surgery. Eek!

It's a common side effect of rapid weight loss.

I have been on Biotin for about 3? years now. I will say that it takes 5-6 months before I really noticed a difference and improvement in my Hair loss. I started to get lots of baby hairs around my hairline and it was regrowing. I'm hoping that since I've been on it that it will slow the loss when/if it effects me.

If its going to happen... It's going to happen its a "side effect" of this surgery and rapid weight loss!

Even if you take everything you should and could. Oh and yes it happening to me at 4 months out even though I've done everything right :)

My surgeon even had a full page about it on my pre op consent forms that I had to sign.

Me?? Yes I'm losing a lot. it comes out in my hands everyday in the shower. I seem to be the only one to notices though.. I'm going to cut a couple of inches off in a couple of weeks just to give it more volume... I'm ok though because I'm losing weight and feeling so much better! And I know it is temporary and will come back

Oh and if gets to bad I will buy some of those hair fibers to make it look thicker but as of now it not that bad.

Here's my story, I posted this on previous threads:

Info from my dermatologist yesterday:

My dermatologist explained that the type of hair loss we are experiencing is called telogen effluvium and is more due to recent shock to your system, ie., weight loss, pain, recent surgery, over or under active thyroid, childbirth, medications and other underlying conditions not just lack of Protein. The dermatologist mentioned that one could lose over 50% of your hair, but that it will grow back in 5-8 months. She suggested using minoxidil, which will stimulate the growth of new hair faster. The less expensive brands are: (both 2%)

* Equate which can be purchased at Walmart

http://www.walmart.c...e&cat_id=976760

* Kirkland Minoxidil which can be purchased at costco.

Important instructions on use:

It is important that if you do use the minoxidil, it is to be placed on your scalp, do not rub it into your hair, it will just make your hair more brittle and susceptible to breakage. Do not let it drip onto your forehead as it will cause headaches. The best application is laying back preferably into a Shampoo sink.

http://www.webmd.com...loss/effluviums

http://www.aocd.org/..._effluvium.html

Along with taking 10k mcg of Biotin, Minoxidil is applied by my stylist weekly, and it does seem like there is less shedding, but I'm not quite sure if it is as a direct result of the product or my body getting accustomed to the weight loss.

This is all really helpful. :) I have a June date so I'm going to get started on Vitamins and Biotin now, and have the scalp treatment on hand.