Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scolded by an internist.

It's hard to be tuff...but remember YOU are the patient & you have the RIGHT to be treated with respect! You should call the office & speak to the office manager & demand that your apts from now on are with the surgeon himself....or another internist! Some people just get off on a power trip & think their God or something! Don't let them bully you!

Is she an internist or an endocrinologist or both? Or were there two doctors involved? Sorry, I know the confusion is on my end...just trying to understand. How is your food going? Are you getting in plenty of Protein and Water?

She is an internist from what I can gather. The endocrinologist that I have been seeing for over 10 years "wasn't good enough" because she doesn't have hospital privileges. So this other doctor is 'the one' that the surgeon works with. She is never on time for appointments when she is in her office and if she is going to meet with you at the hospital, bring a book and a coffee. My appointment was for 10:30 am and I got in at 11:45 am then she kept me for 45 minutes and had to go back and forth for tests for the next 2 hours. She doesn't seem to value that my time is worth something too. I hope after I see her in September I will be finished with her.

No, I'm sure I'm not getting enough Protein most days. It seems to sit like a rock in my stomach. chicken and fish/seafood is ok. And I have noticed lately that I have a little more hair in my brush. The water/fluid intake is ok. Thanks for asking :rolleyes:

Honestly, they can't force you to see this internist. I would keep going to your endocrinologist (I'm sure that you are), and I would find another bariatric internist recommended by other patients and let the bariatric surgeon know that is where you'll be doing your follow-up care. Are you also seeing a registered dietitian (RD) who specializes in bariatric patients? If not, I would definitely find one. I am a slow loser also and my RD is really my most important post-op coach. I don't know what I would do without her.

Diet is about 75% of what will make or break our success, and it takes on even greater importance when you are limited in the exercise that you can do as you are, so I would see if there are any tweaks that you can do to help there. Obviously I know that you are working very hard and your weight loss isn't a reflection of that, but at the same time, there is always room for all of us to tweak and optimize what we can. I would really, really focus on getting at least 60 to 80 g of Protein, even if you have to do more shakes, and try to drink at least 100 oz of Water. An RD will have lots of specific ideas for you that work for you, your lifestyle, and the particular preferences of your sleeve.

consider making a formal complaint. It's one thing for a doctor to express their concern that maybe you are not following all the rules, but its a whole other thing to be abusive.

Also, what if you asked your doctor about physical therapy? If you could do Water exercise or land exercise with a qualified PT familiar with your back condition, they could show you how to do the exercises so that they don't cause a situation like the water exercise that required the pain meds for 3 days. I know that I have a bad hip (I need a replacement or resurfacing) and have had knee surgery, and even water aerobics are hard on those joints sometimes. I went to PT and they helped me do the land exercises and use the machines correctly to protect my injuries, and there's a great water aerobics instructor who showed me how to modify some of the exercises so I don't put too much stress on my knee or hip.

Also, what if you asked your doctor about physical therapy? If you could do Water exercise or land exercise with a qualified PT familiar with your back condition, they could show you how to do the exercises so that they don't cause a situation like the Water exercise that required the pain meds for 3 days. I know that I have a bad hip (I need a replacement or resurfacing) and have had knee surgery, and even water aerobics are hard on those joints sometimes. I went to PT and they helped me do the land exercises and use the machines correctly to protect my injuries, and there's a great water aerobics instructor who showed me how to modify some of the exercises so I don't put too much stress on my knee or hip.

Thank you Tes,

I have working with a PT for 2 years and I have a program that I do in deep water and in mid-depth too. Unfortunately, as my back deteriorates, we have to keep modifying the program. When I started to mention the program that I do (from the PT) and that I have a PT appt. once a week, she said, and I quote, "...that isn't good enough." She is one piece of work.

Update - I spoke with my surgeon today about the internist. He listened to what I had to say and seemed genuinely sorry that she has not been a positive support person for me. He did fill me in on her special training and that she is the best for her specialty. So, I said I would go to the next appointment and if she continued to be as rude and disrespectful to me, I would not be going back - fortunately, he supported my decision. :) The small victories sure feel good these days.

Update - I spoke with my surgeon today about the internist. He listened to what I had to say and seemed genuinely sorry that she has not been a positive support person for me. He did fill me in on her special training and that she is the best for her specialty. So' date=' I said I would go to the next appointment and if she continued to be as rude and disrespectful to me, I would not be going back - fortunately, he supported my decision. :) The small victories sure feel good these days.[/quote']

Yay for you...????

Sent from my iPad using VST

Ok for one DO NOT let anyone speak to you like that you are paying them they work for you second speak to whomever is in charge of the office and have this person held responsible if they are doing it to you who else are they doing it to. Its not right your not a child and have limitations you cannot control. Hope everything pans out alright and listen 25 pounds lost is better than 25 gained good job hun!