Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hello all! I had surgery in NYC with Dr. Ren about 9 moths ago. I was eligible to do it with insurance and so far I've lost 70 out of 105 lbs I need to lose. Obviously I have only great things to say about it :mad:

My wife was getting jealous and it made it that much harder for her to stick to diets and lose any weight. We decided it was time for her to do this as well. Problem was, she wasn't heavy enough to do it with insurance. Long story short, we came across this post here and started researching Dr. Kirshenbaum.

She had surgery last Tuesday (a week ago) and already lost 9 lbs! The thing is she's already starting to get her appetite back and her first fill won't be for at least another 3 weeks. I had the same problem right after my surgery, I got my appetite back rather quickly, and was going NUTS for my first fill! Anyhow, I just keep telling her that it's not about weight loss right now, it's about healing. Easy for me to say though lol!

Bottom line though, I have only amazing things to say about Dr. K and the whole staff. First of all, being from NYC, I really am not accustomed to the friendliness of people in the Midwest. Honestly, in Walgreens the cashier asked me if I found everything OK. I turned to my wife and said "never in my LIFE has a cashier bothered to ask me that!" it was hillarious! Dr K. though is amazingly patient and calming. His whole staff is so friendly and really made the whole deal a breeze.

During the surgery I was obviously sitting there nervous waiting for some news. As soon as the surgery was over, he himself called my cell while still in the OR! Very very nice of him.

My wife is heeling nicely and we're both extremely excited for her to start her band journey. Thank you to all the people here for posting all the info about Dr. K, we never would have known about him without this place.

Fatboyslim~~~yay for you and your wife! What a great gift of health you have given each other! Now you'll have many more years of love together!:tt2: Congrats!

Viri~~~yay! Your time is here! We'll be thinking of you Thursday! Post when your home and feeling better!:mad:

Hi,

I don't post much but I'm just really feeling down on myself and frustrated about everything. I am an out of state patient of Dr. K's and was banded on 12/19. I lost about 10 pounds in the first couple of weeks, and that's it, and I am just really getting depressed.

I had my first fill on Feb. 1 (3.1 cc/10 cc band) and was hungry within an hour afterwards, but because I was leaving town there was nothing I could do. I have no restriction. I guess I didn't really understand what the Water was supposed to feel like going down, so I could probably have taken a larger fill at the time.

Another complication is that I broke my arm about three weeks after surgery and haven't been allowed to exercise. I'm still in a cast, but it comes off next week.

I just called to schedule another fill. Dr. K's first opening is not until March 11. His assistant could see me next week, but I can't do that because it's my children's winter break and also the flight would be so expensive to book at such a late date. The next earliest appointment with the assistant is not until March 5. I took that one because it was the earliest feasible for me, but I'm a little down about not getting to see Dr. K himself. Marilyn said she'd call if something opens up, but I don't see that happening.

Should I just give up and try to find a fill center who can get me in sooner? I'm not as thrilled with going all that way to see an assistant, but I don't want to wait even longer. It's already another month of feeling like a failure.

I'm just so mad at myself. In my daydreams back in December, I was going to be 20-30 pounds lighter by now. Thanks for your insights.

Hi,

I don't post much but I'm just really feeling down on myself and frustrated about everything. I am an out of state patient of Dr. K's and was banded on 12/19. I lost about 10 pounds in the first couple of weeks, and that's it, and I am just really getting depressed.

I had my first fill on Feb. 1 (3.1 cc/10 cc band) and was hungry within an hour afterwards, but because I was leaving town there was nothing I could do. I have no restriction. I guess I didn't really understand what the Water was supposed to feel like going down, so I could probably have taken a larger fill at the time.

Another complication is that I broke my arm about three weeks after surgery and haven't been allowed to exercise. I'm still in a cast, but it comes off next week.

I just called to schedule another fill. Dr. K's first opening is not until March 11. His assistant could see me next week, but I can't do that because it's my children's winter break and also the flight would be so expensive to book at such a late date. The next earliest appointment with the assistant is not until March 5. I took that one because it was the earliest feasible for me, but I'm a little down about not getting to see Dr. K himself. Marilyn said she'd call if something opens up, but I don't see that happening.

Should I just give up and try to find a fill center who can get me in sooner? I'm not as thrilled with going all that way to see an assistant, but I don't want to wait even longer. It's already another month of feeling like a failure.

I'm just so mad at myself. In my daydreams back in December, I was going to be 20-30 pounds lighter by now. Thanks for your insights.

First of all don't be so hard on yourself. It is hard to tell after the first fill if it's a good one or not with water. It sometimes can take 1-3 fills before you get it just right. I also wanted to let you know I had a fill with Tom the PA in Dr. K's office and he was great. He is very gentle and takes his time. I called to set up another appointment and they are booked 3-4 weeks out is what the office told me. Dr. Kirshenbaum is on vacation or something all of next week so his appointments are backing up. My advice to you is stay with Dr. Kirshenbaum for your fills if you can. Hang in there.

Artsy~ Even us locals are waiting over a month for a fill! As for the assistant thing...that you have to decide within yourself what is best for you. March 5th or 11th? That's only a week difference. How far are you coming from? Don't be so rough on yourself...it will come! I had no idea with the Water swallow either. In fact, I was overfilled just because at the time of the fill, I could swallow fine. It was later that night that it went crazy! So don't beat yourself up on what you are supposed to "feel" with the water...I still have no idea!

Good luck, and cheer up! When you get it right, the weight will come off!:biggrin:

im scheduled for dr k on feb 28th and my mother is going to come with me since they wont let me come alone ...

anyways im worried about head hunger and if il be able to eat sushi ever again and ive read so many neg posts im just getting a little discouraged ...

but im going to give it my best shot and whenever i get down a little i pull out all vs catalog and circle things to buy because i know by summer i will be able to fit in some super hot o so skimpy clothes ...

sms-you'll be just fine with Dr. K. I didn't have headhunger for a while, but we're all different and we all use this surgery/tool differently. I have been able to eat sushi and was totally excited when I realized it...and bummed that I hadn't tried sooner! :Dancing_wub: I, however, am able to eat some thing others can't like soda, popcorn, even some white bread! But, I have a difficult time with meat...I can get fish down ok most of the time. You have to remember that everyone is different and you'll just have to try a bunch of things to see what works for you...fortunately, I don't crave the things I can't eat...but since Cookies and chips go down pretty easily for me I crave those when I'm bored (which is when I eat). Just stay close to a group (live or on the internet) that can help you when you're getting dismayed!:Dancing_chief:

Weight loss - ok, so I'm at a plateau and sitting at 222-226 (it's different every hour it seems - not that I'm weighing myself that much). I'm looking forward to finally getting another fill in a couple of weeks, but I have so much to do before then!:coolgleamA: I'm trying to remember that the "average weight loss for the band" is 3-6 lbs. a month...and I'm there, just seems so slow. I've just got to keep in the mindset that I'm not GAINING and that really is why I had the surgery!

Weather is suckin' here in Nome lately. Usually when it's beautiful outside it's colder than sh@@**t! :welldone2:(Note, I don't swear often!) But when it's crappy looking it's usually warmer...well, non of that lately, you just can't tell by looking out the door! And the weather "channels" on the internet are all screwed up! I'm totally looking forward to spring!:wink2: On the up side is that I'm totally happy right now and totally in love with my husband! This is odd for me since this is the time of year where people in Alaska go loco!:biggrin: Well, that's it for me. I need to go lotion up...went swimming with the kids and I'm all dried up!

Viri - good luck to you, I'm sure everything will go smoothly!

Hi All,

How does one find out what size band she has? Does Dr K use mostly one kind/size band? Obviously Dr K would know, but he's probably not awake and interested in my silly question at midnight on a Tuesday:-)

lifesaver - Some people are given a card with the type and size of band. I think he puts in the type of band that best fits your body. At RR we were talking about it and people have all different sizes, and it wasn't based on their size, so you have me there. I have a 4cc band, each little bit of fill has the potential to overfill, Dr. K mentioned that this style band has some design flaws that he has sent to the company, but the band, flaws and all is still in me. It is working, so what the heck? But no idea how you can get the info at this late time.

Woofay - so glad you are doing well. I support what you said to Artsy.

marcy - ok, so glad you are in love with your husband, it is the best. I envy you. My honey died 7 1/2 years ago. I hope to find someone to cuddle with as soon as I find the right guy.

Hugs to all,

Michelle

Hi All,

How does one find out what size band she has? Does Dr K use mostly one kind/size band? Obviously Dr K would know, but he's probably not awake and interested in my silly question at midnight on a Tuesday:-)

I found out at my post-op appointment. You will get a card and a booklet when you go. If you are out-of-state they will mail it to you.

Hi All,

lifesaver - I got a card that said 4cc (which is what it holds), to find out how big it is I had to go to my op report (which Dr. K gave me a copy of - had to send it because it took a week to get it all done). The op report says that it is a 10 cm band (note: centemeters is NOT cc's) So, it's a 10cm band that holds 4cc of liquid. Make sense?

Hi,

Hi Artsy:

I love your name. I am an ARTSY FARTSY.

I too am a distance patient of Dr. K's. I live in Florida. I want to encourage you from the unique perspective of living far from our physician. There are other things you can do for support and insight on this journey.

First, go easy on yourself. There are some folks who think the band is this zipper quick weight loss thing like the gastric bypass. I didn't opt for the bypass because I had seen my sister-in-law bowel her brains out and suffer with complications. Slow and steady wins the race. Embrace the amount of weight you have lost which is...two bags of sugar. Lift that next time you are at the grocery and then realize you had that heft on your body.

Natalie is a very resourceful person at Dr. K's office. She is also banded which lends the helpful perspective of being in our shoes. Call her. She's a good ear and she can maybe think of some helpful things that maybe you missed. (this was my case the last time I was at the office)

I wouldn't trade a local doctor for Dr. K period. I made the mistake of going to a Fill Center...it set me back, I think, four months. I had pain, nausea and the fill, with flouro...meaning she could SEE my port, she was still digging for it. Dr. K hit me with ease. He is a surgeon, he knows the human body LITERALLY inside and out. Not that I have anything against a nurse practioner but there was a huge difference in my experience on fills. I personally didn't spend the money I did, have the surgery, make all this effort only to shortcut myself to a healthy life. That's me, that's just where my thoughts are after the experience I had.

I would love to have had more weight off...five months ago...but it isn't my reality. I work with what I have, I take it a day at a time, and it's all a journey. Right now I am healthier, happier, I can EAT but I eat like normal people do perhaps healthier.

My best to you. Happy Valentines.

Patty

valentines.jpg

Hey Friends:

A qucik note to let you know that I'm still kicking.

*Mal thanks for the note* I am feeling better but I'm still sick as are most of the people I work around. It seems we keep giving it back to eachother. The coughing has left me very sore and nauseated. (two weeks of this is enough for me)

Not sure if I posted I had strep (now resolved) and bronchitis (better but still dragging on me) and Fluid in my ears which has left me dizzy. What a year this has been for flu season.

Wishing you all a Happy Valentine's Day.

Patty

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I was so frustrated about my financing falling through and having to cancel my surgery. I would have had my surgery yesterday!! Anyhow, I am rescheduled for March 20 and I hope this new financing opportunity works.

After canceling my surgery, I decided I will do this on my own. I went out and bought good food and started watching my portion sizes. I was doing so good for about 4 days....then I slowly started eating bigger portions and that was it. I couldn't stop eating. Of course, PMS didn't help. Right then, I realized this was not going to happen without some help. I am going to do all I can to get the money and have this surgery. My doubts are not there anymore. Like you guys have said before...you still want to eat and some can still eat anything but never has much as before. I need that. I never feel full. If anything, this surgery will help me with Portion Control.< /p>

I have also started going to Water aerobics. This is great for me because I have bad knees and ankles. They still hurt a little but I don't huff and puff like regular exercise.

Well I am glad to be back and can't wait until surgery.

fatwidow - good for you. Some of us, me in particular, would use the setback as another reason to eat. The Water is a great way to start exercise. It is gentle on the body parts, and I think psychologically it is good to get into a suit, and be honest about the bod.

Lap - I hope you are recovering. The schools are such a hotbed of virus and flu, I have started subbing again, and I wash my hands with purell all day long. I cringe when I hear a bronchial cough, sneezing, etc.

Everyone - Well - i had a red banner day Tuesday. I worked out and my blood pressure dropped so radically I fainted. Good thing I was with my trainer and she caught me as I fainted from sitting on a weight bench. Whew! That is the worst feeling. The EMT's took me to the hospital. My first thought was I wondered if the guys were cute. They had trouble getting my radial pulse. My pressure was 90/54. I am sure it was my BP medication that Kaiser changed because they didn't like my old medication. I was in the ER for two hours, the healthiest patient around. They felt I was stable and dismissed me after bloodwork and a chest X-ray. Anyway, long story short, my pressure was low for 48 hours. Now, I am trying it without meds and monitoring my BP at home. So far the highest it has gone is 142/84, and mostly it is in the 130s over 80. I may not need meds, we'll see.

Hugs all,

Michelle