Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

It finally feels real!! I booked my surgery for February 20th with Dr. Kirshenbaum. I am going to leave NC on 2/19 and come back on 2/23. I am really excited/happy, but I also feel very anxious and scared. I feel like I have made the right chose. Everyone @ the office has been very friendly and helpful. I have booked our flights and the rental car. The only thing I need now is to find a hotel. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Congrats!! The time will go by fast!!

Regarding hotels, call Marilyn. She gave me a list of what's close by. I can't find it or I'd tell you what they were. I'll let you know how my hotel was when I get back. (Don't want to post where I am staying on here for safety reasons!)

Shesha!

Your banding date is coming up so fast!!! Time flies huh?? How is your preop diet going??

Mark...did you get the VG Band?? I did..and was reading a whole nother thread about VG Bandsters and it seems like a lot of them take a long time to get proper restriction. I'm thinking about having my 2nd fill under fluro just so I can get as good as restriction as possible.

Are you going to go back to Dr. K for fills or just get it done locally??

Hi folks, thanks for your thoughts and comments.

skyblu: I may go to Dr. K for a fill or two, but since I live in Maryland I'll probably want to go to a local doctor after a while, especially if I need numerous fills. Congrats on your upcoming surgery date.

Shesha: the day-before-surgery meeting is just to get some paperwork done, give an overview of the procedure, and answer questions. Dr. K has been working with some advanced medical students lately and they were part of the process as well, answering questions, etc. So I would say the main thing is to think about any questions you'd like to ask. That would be the time to bring them up.

The reason for sewing the band to the stomach is to help reduce the likelihood that the band will slip. I know Dr. K is not the only one who does this, but I'm not sure if it is exactly common procedure. To me it makes sense and I'm glad it was done. I have not heard of any risk of additional complications. I'd just like to do what I can to help avoid slipping.

Your big day is coming up soon! Congratulations, and I know it will all go well. Dr. K is a very experienced surgeon, and his whole team seems quite skilled and experienced.

Kirsten: I did get the VG band. I did not ask Dr. K why he went with that band but I'm sure there is a good reason, so I'm not worrying about it. I guess it makes sense that it could take more attempts to get it filled. I think the flouro idea is a good one to get to the right fill level sooner rather than later.

In general I'm doing OK. I'm about 4 days post-op now. I have almost no pain at all. No gas pains or pain at the incisions. I've been feeling low in energy and I've been laying around too much. I will try to get out and walk more today. It's cold in Maryland today so I may just walk in circles in my living room. The dogs will be confused by this I'm sure. :)

I feel a little bit hungry sometimes but not much. The only thing I really want right now is Water, but I'm trying to drink broth to get a little nutrition as well. I am definitely not getting in all this Protein yet. I'll have to become more deliberate about that soon. At least I think I'm avoiding dehydration.

All the small incisions are healing well, but the port incision is still looking a little wet and raw, with a little pink liquid draining. From running a couple searches on LapBandTalk this seems to be common and normal, especially for the port incision. There is no pain, heat, or swelling there, so I feel like there is nothing to worry about. But still, I will feel better when this incision closes up and dries out a bit more.

So, that's the latest. At four days out I'm still not fully back on my feet. But in general all seems to be going well.

Take care my fellow Dr. K bandsters. Talk to you later.

Mark...just a suggestion....I'd start getting in at least a Protein shake or 2 a day asap so that you can get your engery back.....that is probably why you're feeling so blah......

My port incision was the only one that gave me any problems too....it was kind of oozy for a few days but then seemed to dry up.....I loved the tape stuff he put over it so I could still shower etc! Unfortunately I turned out to be allergic, so I had to load up on Benadryl until about the 5th day when I took them off and replaced them with Tegaderm, which is basically the same type of bandage, just different chemicals in them I guess.....

Anyways, glad to hear you're doing well! Thanks for checking in w/us!

Mark...just a suggestion....I'd start getting in at least a Protein shake or 2 a day asap so that you can get your engery back.....that is probably why you're feeling so blah......

Kirsten, I am mixing some powdered Protein with my broth. Is that what you mean when you say "protein shake"? I also have some Adkins Proteins shakes which I'd like to drink, but I was under the impression that the first week was for Clear liquids only. When did you start drinking things like canned Protein Shakes?

Congrats!! The time will go by fast!!

Regarding hotels, call Marilyn. She gave me a list of what's close by. I can't find it or I'd tell you what they were. I'll let you know how my hotel was when I get back. (Don't want to post where I am staying on here for safety reasons!)

These were the hotels I got from Marilyn: Doubletree & Comfort Inn on Iliff or Hampton Inn, Best Western, & La Quinta on Abilene....I am leaning more towards a suites hotel though since it will be 3 adults for 4 nights. I forgot about this list.

Safety: I definitely understand that...I think I may go ahead and hold my top choices until I decide. Please come back and let me know about your hotel. Thanks!!:)

Kirsten, I am mixing some powdered Protein with my broth. Is that what you mean when you say "protein shake"? I also have some Adkins Proteins shakes which I'd like to drink, but I was under the impression that the first week was for Clear liquids only. When did you start drinking things like canned Protein Shakes?

So, it's a whole week of Clear Liquids. I have been wanting to know the postop the last couple of days. I should have just asked. I hope that week goes by fast!!

Mark: Thanks for all the Dr. K info! I really appreciate it! It's nice to have had a couple of "guinia pigs" (haha) ahead of me. I am definately feeling better about going with Dr. K. I can kind of tell that you are still out of it a bit. With the exception of the "walk circles in your living room" comment, you don't seem to be your usual witty self!

Mark: Thanks for all the Dr. K info! I really appreciate it! It's nice to have had a couple of "guinia pigs" (haha) ahead of me. I am definately feeling better about going with Dr. K. I can kind of tell that you are still out of it a bit. With the exception of the "walk circles in your living room" comment, you don't seem to be your usual witty self!

Yes, it's true, the razor-sharp wit is a bit dull today. Feeling a bit Zombie-esque. But I have no doubt that my traditional unbelievably witty commentary will return soon. By the way, it's snowing here in MD right now. I think this is the first snow of the season as far as I remember.

Yes, it's true, the razor-sharp wit is a bit dull today. Feeling a bit Zombie-esque. But I have no doubt that my traditional unbelievably witty commentary will return soon. By the way, it's snowing here in MD right now. I think this is the first snow of the season as far as I remember.

We have snow falling here too in WI. It's actually quite serene.

Anxiously awaiting the start of the Bears/Saints game.... GO BEARS!

So, it's a whole week of clear liquids. I have been wanting to know the postop the last couple of days. I should have just asked. I hope that week goes by fast!!

skyeblu, don't worry too much about the week of liquids. From what I understand the first week after surgery most people are not very hungry. That is how it is for me for sure. Left to my own devices I would be perfectly happy to drink only Water right now. I'm forcing myself to drink broth with Protein powder because I know I need to get some nutrition. Those who have a liquid diet before surgery have a tough way to go. Drinking liquids the first week after surgery is not that difficult.

Mark,

I know we're supposed to be drinking clear liquids for the first week, but I did make Protein shakes (i.e. chocolate flavored Protein Powder mixed with water) my first week just to keep my energy up and I think b/c it was virtually Water, it was pretty close to clear :) I just know I didn't have any real dip in my energy and I attribute it to the Protein. So if you're adding it to your broth, that should be just as good!

Isn't the snow GREAT!! Gotta love it!!

Shesha.....I hope my PATRIOTS see you at the Superbowl!! ;-)

Thanks for all the information in this thread on Dr. Kirshenbaum. I live in the Kansas City area and all the docs here are $15-$18K for the lap band surgery. I have my phone consult scheduled for Feb. 19th and my surgery scheduled for March 16th with Dr. K. I have been researching for 4 months now and feel like I am beyond ready!! Thanks for all the information it has been a big help to put my mind at ease with his competence!

Machele

Congrats Machele!! Dr K is great... you will really like him.

I called Marilyn today schedule a fill for next week. I have noticed I am eating too much lately and not staying full as long as I would like. I am going in on Tuesday for the fill, it will be the first time I have seen Dr K since November!

VABandster... how ya doin' girl??