Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Shesha!

If your job is a desk job, you should be feeling just fine after 5 days! I went back to work after 4 and had no problems!

Shesha!

If your job is a desk job, you should be feeling just fine after 5 days! I went back to work after 4 and had no problems!

Yep, it's a desk job. That and I don't have far to walk from the parking garage, so I should be alright. Thanks for letting me know that you only took a few days off too!

So, how did your fill go? I see that you had lunch with DrewsLou. That's awesome!

Hi all!

I made it through day two of the pre-op diet. Woo hoo!

I ended up going to lunch with a new co-worker of mine. She ordered a sub (a healthy one at that) and I got Soup - no noodles. =) She commented " sure, get Soup and make me look like a pig." tee hee. So she wouldn't feel bad, I broke down and told her why I was just eating soup. She was very supportive, which was cool. She's heading off to a new job next week, and I am subbing for her until the new person comes, so I didn't feel like I had to keep it a secret from her. Hopefully she doesn't tell the others why I am "on vacation in Denver"

Shesha,

Congrats on sticking to the preop diet!

My fill went well, although I feel like it's already disappeared...so I'll definitely be going back as soon as I can to get another one! I may ask to do it under fluro this time to see if I can get better restriction.

Yes, DrewsLou and I met for lunch and she gave me some of the clothes she's already too skinny for! :D It was great!

Shesha,

Congrats on sticking to the preop diet!

My fill went well, although I feel like it's already disappeared...so I'll definitely be going back as soon as I can to get another one! I may ask to do it under fluro this time to see if I can get better restriction.

Yes, DrewsLou and I met for lunch and she gave me some of the clothes she's already too skinny for! :D It was great!

Hey Kristin!

What size band did you end up getting?? How much of a fill did you get?? How's life with the band treating you? Is it just weird to know that you have it inside you??

Hey there...I got the VG Band (10ccs), but I only got a 1.65 fill (that was the point at which I could start feeling restriction). Life is treating me pretty well, although it feels like the fill is gone already :-( But I know that happens sometimes....and yes, its weird sometimes to know that it's inside me, but also nice to know it's there too, ya know?? :D

It finally feels real!! I booked my surgery for February 20th with Dr. Kirshenbaum. I am going to leave NC on 2/19 and come back on 2/23. I am really excited/happy, but I also feel very anxious and scared. I feel like I have made the right chose. Everyone @ the office has been very friendly and helpful. I have booked our flights and the rental car. The only thing I need now is to find a hotel. I would appreciate any suggestions.

YAY Sky! I'm sooo happy for you. I remember how it real it finally felt when I got my date booked. I'm so excited for you!

SKye....congrats on getting your date!!! Sorry, I can't help you w/hotel recomendations b/c I stayed at my Sisters house! :(

Haven't heard from Marjon yet....I think he flew home yesterday so hopefully everything went well....Marjon, if you're out there....let us know how you're doing!!

I'm planning on going back for my 2nd fill at the end of Feb...and am thinking about asking for it to be done under fluro.....just to see whats going on in there and hopefully get better restriction! I got it on the first try but It either didn't last long or wasn't tight enough b/c I can still eat way more than 1/4 cup! I guess I can't complain too much b/c I still can't eat as much as I used too...and I'm stilll losing....but I want to FEEL the RESTRICTION (instead of feeling the burn) ;-) LOL.

Anyways...I just ate my lunch too fast (Still having trouble w/that!), and can definitely feel it 'sitting there'....although I don't feel like I'm gonna puke, but it's definitely sitting in the pouch! UGH......

Well, chat w/you all later! gonna go check in on the other boards..

Thanks you guys....Yal have been really inspirational to me.

And thank you Drewslou for posting about Dr. Kirshenbaum b/c without you I would have never found out about him.

I have been wondering about Marjon. Hopefully he will post soon.

Hello folks, I am back in Maryland now with band in place. The whole thing wasn't too bad. Denver was very cold! But there were no flight delays. Dr. Kirshenbaum and his staff were great.

I had one small problem in the process. I have a little bit of atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) so I am on Coumadin, which is a blood thinner, to guard against clots that can result when the irregular heartbeat is occurring. Per doctors instructions, in preparation for the surgery I had reduced my dose of Coumadin so my blood would not be too thin for the surgery, but the day before surgery my blood was still too thin and Dr. Kirshenbaum wanted to wait a day. So, I was banded on the 17th instead of the 16th. No big deal, of course. On the 16th my wife and I vistied the Denver Art Museum which has a new wing and is very impressive, so it worked out great.

One other thing I want to mention, my surgery took about two and a quarter hours instead of the usual amount of time, which is less than one hour. This occurred because Dr. Kirshenbaum likes to attach the band directly to the stomach with sutures to avoid slippage. Apparently I had a heavy layer of fat over the stomach, and Dr. K had to work on that for quite a while before he could get to where he could place the sutures directly into the stomach. Of course I was not glad to hear that my surgery took so long, but I was glad to hear that Dr. K took the time to do the job up to his standards. I think Dr. K offers a level of individual attention that is perhaps a notch higher than average in the world of lap band surgery.

I do have had some pain in the surgery areas, but it is getting better already. I'm able to get up out of a chair or bed on my own. I've had no gas pains at all.

I have not been hungry yet. I've had only Water since Tuesday night (the night before surgery) I guess I'll need to start hitting the broth soon. It just does not seem that appealing at the moment.

So that's the latest. Thanks to everyone for thinking of me and asking about me. I do appreciate it. If anyone has any questions let me know.

Talk to you later.

Mark

Mark!!!

Welcome back! Soo glad to hear that things went Ok...considering the irregular heartbeat issue!! Sounds like Dr. K did what was necessary to be thorough and safe.....yeah!!

Yes, it was BITTER cold out in CO this past week...and now we might actually get some snow here!! Woo hoo :)

Glad to hear you're home safe and sound!

Hi Marjon, I am glad to hear that you are doing so well...Congrats on becoming a bandster!!! Good luck and I would love to hear more about your process as time goes on.

Are you going back to Dr. K for fills?

Yay Mark!

I am sooo happy to hear that everything went so well.

What does Dr. K's "day before surgery meeting" consist of??

What are your thoughts on sewing the band to the stomach? Is that common practice?? Do you really think we'll be better off that he does that, or could it cause unforseen complications?