Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Fun dinner at Red Robin tonight with Laptastic, Kayleigh'sMommy and Snowgator. We are making great progress, ladies!

YOU GUYS ARE MAKING GREAT PROGRESS! Congrats Everyone! You Ladies are looking wonderful!

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have read through several pages in this post. I am considering lap-band surgery and found information about Dr. Kirshenbaum on Google. I am borderline qualified I think. My BMI is around 35 but I also suffer from sleep apnea, gastric reflux and am probably borderline Type II at this point. I would like to do something before I get any worse. Did any of you have a BMI that was between 35 and 40 and was it difficult to get accepted? Do you have any advice?

Thanks so much.

Libby

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have read through several pages in this post. I am considering lap-band® surgery and found information about Dr. Kirshenbaum on Google. I am borderline qualified I think. My BMI is around 35 but I also suffer from sleep apnea, gastric reflux and am probably borderline Type II at this point. I would like to do something before I get any worse. Did any of you have a BMI that was between 35 and 40 and was it difficult to get accepted? Do you have any advice?

Thanks so much.

Libby

Libby,

Since you're paying cash, you don't have to worry about qualifying for your insurance. Just make an appt with Dr Kirshenbaum and discuss things with him. He can give you an idea if he'd be able to give you a Band.

Good Luck,

dee~

Dee, Thanks for the feedback. I made an appt. with the doctor for Sept. 20th.

I have another question I am wondering if anyone on this forum could answer. I've spent the last couple of days reading blogs of people who have the lap-band and one of them had pictures that show her port now showing through her skin. Does anyone know how common this is? Does anyone know if there are any procedures that will re-locate the port if it starts to show? Has anyone on this forum experienced that?

Darn it! I didn't check the website for over a week and I missed a RR get-together! Julie you look like a different woman! I love the haircut and your weight loss is shining throught. Congratulations on the 100 pound mark. Hope everyone has a wonderful Labor day weekend. We are headed for Estes Park

I took the plunge! Scared to death, but Dr K banded me Sept 2nd!

I am still having doubts and worries galore - infection, will this really work for me, can I still enjoy food (once back on solids of course). WHAT HAVE I DONE? Stuff like that.

I keep trying to remind myself that these are common doubts, and loads and loads of people on these forums say they wish they would have done this years before…

I keep sneezing which hurts my incisions - and I sometimes feel pressure like i have to burp but can't.

Otherwise, doing OK all-in-all…:smile:

Congrats Amy. You will do fine!!!! How exciting for you!

Hello all, I am considering using Dr. Kirshenbaum for the LB because I am a self pay and a single parent which means money is tight. I live in Arkansas and was wondering if anyone knew of a Doctor here who would do followup care and fills? I have checked into doing the LB here but the cost is 16,000 but with 18 months follow ups. Does anyone know on average what a follow up consists of?

Thanks for any and all information.

Wow...nobody has posted on here in the past month! Come out of hiding and talk to me. Big news: My 19-year-old daughter was banded this afternoon by Dr. K. I'm jealous that she is getting this early start on the life change. I keep saying that my only regret about getting the band is that I didn't do it sooner. She's in the normal amount of pain, so it's looking good. Maybe she'll join us at our next Red Robin outing.

Wow...nobody has posted on here in the past month! Come out of hiding and talk to me. Big news: My 19-year-old daughter was banded this afternoon by Dr. K. I'm jealous that she is getting this early start on the life change. I keep saying that my only regret about getting the band is that I didn't do it sooner. She's in the normal amount of pain, so it's looking good. Maybe she'll join us at our next Red Robin outing.

What fantastic news. Lucky girl! This will change her whole life. Can't wait to meet her at the next RR.

She is so fortunate~! I wish I had found the band years ago! I completely destroyed my body with all of the excess weight! I am ashamed to say that I will never regret how big I was.

What fantastic news. Lucky girl! This will change her whole life. Can't wait to meet her at the next RR.

Speaking of RR! Let's do a RR night! We could do Tuesday, October 19th or Thursday October 21st. Is anyone interested? And which date will work for the most? I can do either night.:)

Hello all, I am considering using Dr. Kirshenbaum for the LB because I am a self pay and a single parent which means money is tight. I live in Arkansas and was wondering if anyone knew of a Doctor here who would do followup care and fills? I have checked into doing the LB here but the cost is 16,000 but with 18 months follow ups. Does anyone know on average what a follow up consists of?

Thanks for any and all information.

if I were you, I'd call around your town and see what they charge for f/u when your surgery was done by a different doctor. Some can be very expensive... as much as $300 or more. Get all your ducks in a row before you make your final decision. Goood f/u is the most important part of making your band work for you!

Dee, Thanks for the feedback. I made an appt. with the doctor for Sept. 20th.

I have another question I am wondering if anyone on this forum could answer. I've spent the last couple of days reading blogs of people who have the lap-band and one of them had pictures that show her port now showing through her skin. Does anyone know how common this is? Does anyone know if there are any procedures that will re-locate the port if it starts to show? Has anyone on this forum experienced that?

I haven't been on here for weeks and I missed this question. I have friends who have lost all their weight and their port does show. Most are not bothered by it, but I have one who returned and had a lower profile port put in and it is pretty well hidden.

Speaking of RR! Let's do a RR night! We could do Tuesday, October 19th or Thursday October 21st. Is anyone interested? And which date will work for the most? I can do either night.:)

I'd be up for Tuesday night, the 19th. Anyone else?

I'd be up for Tuesday night, the 19th. Anyone else?

Sounds good to me! Anyone else?