Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

are you still going to be getting a fill on the 2nd or 3rd?

I am coming in on the 3rd. Going to be a quick stop though. I will be on my way back from Illinois. I have been helping my Mom move. So on the way back we will stop for my fill and then keep driving to SL.

Hi Everyone -

I am going to jump in here and post ...

Amy

Hi Amy,

I'm glad you found us on the Internet. I had my surgery in November of 2008, and have lost 68 pounds. I am within 40 pounds of goal. I never thought I'd get under 200 pounds again, but here I am. I love my band!

Dr. K's specializes in laprascopic surgeries, and according to his website, he has done more than 10,000 procedures. I don't know what percentage of these are lap-band procedures. I live near Ft. Lupton and make the drive for adjustments and both Dr. K. and his P.A. are REALLY good at these.

Here is what I would suggest to you. Make an appointment for a consultation and meet Dr. K. and his crew. It is free, and there is nothing like a personal appointment to get a feel for his practice. It will give you an idea about the drive as well. I'm betting that you will like the guy as much as the rest of us Dr. K. "Bandsters" do.

Also, I was thinking that the McKee medical center in Loveland has a bariatric center too?

Anyway, stay in touch with your Colorado contingency and we will be wishing you a great surgery and outcome.

Hi Amy,

I'm glad you found us on the Internet. I had my surgery in November of 2008, and have lost 68 pounds. I am within 40 pounds of goal. I never thought I'd get under 200 pounds again, but here I am. I love my band!

Dr. K's specializes in laprascopic surgeries, and according to his website, he has done more than 10,000 procedures. I don't know what percentage of these are lap-band® procedures. I live near Ft. Lupton and make the drive for adjustments and both Dr. K. and his P.A. are REALLY good at these.

Here is what I would suggest to you. Make an appointment for a consultation and meet Dr. K. and his crew. It is free, and there is nothing like a personal appointment to get a feel for his practice. It will give you an idea about the drive as well. I'm betting that you will like the guy as much as the rest of us Dr. K. "Bandsters" do.

Also, I was thinking that the McKee medical center in Loveland has a bariatric center too?

Anyway, stay in touch with your Colorado contingency and we will be wishing you a great surgery and outcome.

Hi Amy Welcome!

What Mary said. Great advice and I've nothing to add.:blushing:

Best of luck on your journey.

I got a fill on Tuesday and it went well. I weighed in at 280 :smile2:

but that was with clothes, and it doesn't count unless you're naked right? LOL! Anyway Dr. K filled me up to 6.9. I was supposed to be at 6.3 ish when they found the leak. So it was a pretty big fill since I only had 4.5 during surgery. I am really tight, and did mostly liquids for almost 3 days now and it is getting better. I think that is normal for some people right? That they have to put themselves on liwuids following a fill because of the swelling. I ate chicken right after my fill so that I could test it at the office. Dr K said it was a good idea, and it was fine. Chicken has been the hardest thing to go down for me since day one, so I thought if I can get chicken down I will be fine.

Anyway, doing better today, and am down to 272!!! Even if you take off the 2-3 lbs of clothes I was wearing at the office, that is a loss of about 5 lbs in abt 3 days! I am super excited! It does wonders for my mental and emotional state to have the scale going down instead of up. I know that being on liquids has been part of it, and don't expect to keep up this rate of loss for long, but I am so happy that I am FINALLY losing again!! YAY!! :party:

So, I went in and met with Dr K earlier this week. There were things I liked, and things I didn't.

I had been scheduled with another surgeon in Greeley who is about 3k more - thought I could get a loan for the rest since I only had 10K - but no luck. So, that led me to checking out Dr K.

It concerns me that he doesn't want to do any pre-surgery blood work/labs. I have this mental discussion with myself - maybe he knows those tests are not necessary and doesn't want to do them just to pad pockets at my expense. But maybe he isn't as cautions as he should be…

Also, really - shouldn't judge a book by it's cover this I KNOW - but still - it seems funny that the office of someone who does hi-tec lap surgeries is so low-tec - there is a TYPEWRITER in there. I mean, I'm sure he knows what he is doing - has done 760 or so - but the polish and slick of the other doc's office made me feel more secure in his abilities -STUPID - I KNOW!

Also, when talking to him about his "success rate" as far as goal weight, weight loss etc., he wasn't super clear - just said oh, my rates are hitting what the published numbers say. The other doc had REALLY great 8-year data for his patients.

So then I thought, well, Dr K has patients from all over - some out-of-staters probably don't keep in touch. But, also, the other doc had a 4 hour phsyc eval, nutritionist appointment, more emphasis on pre diet and exercise, did the seminars and really stressed support groups - so does that make his patients more likely to succeed? Can I recreate that by making sure to get plugged into a good group?

I just want this to WORK - and I want to be safe - I am a single mom and my son needs me - needs me thin and healthy.

Does anyone know if all doctors now sew the stomach up over the band like Dr K does?

Now I am just rambling… thanks for your indulgence!

Aarg - I really want to go with Dr K just based on $ -between the cost of the surgery and fills the amount is huge. I can't really even do it with anyone else.

I got a fill on Tuesday and it went well. I weighed in at 280 :smile2:

but that was with clothes, and it doesn't count unless you're naked right? LOL! Anyway Dr. K filled me up to 6.9. I was supposed to be at 6.3 ish when they found the leak. So it was a pretty big fill since I only had 4.5 during surgery. I am really tight, and did mostly liquids for almost 3 days now and it is getting better. I think that is normal for some people right? That they have to put themselves on liwuids following a fill because of the swelling. I ate chicken right after my fill so that I could test it at the office. Dr K said it was a good idea, and it was fine. Chicken has been the hardest thing to go down for me since day one, so I thought if I can get chicken down I will be fine.

Anyway, doing better today, and am down to 272!!! Even if you take off the 2-3 lbs of clothes I was wearing at the office, that is a loss of about 5 lbs in abt 3 days! I am super excited! It does wonders for my mental and emotional state to have the scale going down instead of up. I know that being on liquids has been part of it, and don't expect to keep up this rate of loss for long, but I am so happy that I am FINALLY losing again!! YAY!! :party:

Congrats on finally losing weight! I know how that can be and it's so discouraging. My dependent edema makes it hard for me sometimes - because I will lose and gain 10 lbs or more just overnight. What's real, what's not! You're a brave soul eating chicken after your fill. Yikes! I am going to bring my very thick Protein Shake with me. I put it in the blender with a banana and a tsp of Peanut Butter and ice. I can tell how long it stays in my pouch after I've drank it and I think that would be perfect for my fill. I hope!

So, I went in and met with Dr K earlier this week. There were things I liked, and things I didn't.

I had been scheduled with another surgeon in Greeley who is about 3k more - thought I could get a loan for the rest since I only had 10K - but no luck. So, that led me to checking out Dr K.

It concerns me that he doesn't want to do any pre-surgery blood work/labs. I have this mental discussion with myself - maybe he knows those tests are not necessary and doesn't want to do them just to pad pockets at my expense. But maybe he isn't as cautions as he should be…

This has been something that has bothered several people here. I think if you're concerned you should see your PCP prior to surgery and get some blood work done. Usually pre-op tests are unnecessary and very very costly. Dr. K is trying to watch the expenses for his patients, knowing that each and every test related to your band surgery would be "self pay" and you would end up paying cash. I had my PCP order a CBC with diff and my regular quarterly labs prior to my surgery.

Also, really - shouldn't judge a book by it's cover this I KNOW - but still - it seems funny that the office of someone who does hi-tec lap surgeries is so low-tec - there is a TYPEWRITER in there. I mean, I'm sure he knows what he is doing - has done 760 or so - but the polish and slick of the other doc's office made me feel more secure in his abilities -STUPID - I KNOW!

I have to agree with you - "stupid - I know" Sorry! Please don't take offense to this, BUT I would much rather have a surgeon who cares about my bottom line and doesn't pad his - insisting his office staff have the top of the line computers and office equipment. Dr K. tries to keep his costs low so that he can keep our costs low. It makes sense to me and I find it very responsible and very reasonable. I have worked in Dr's offices several times in my nursing career and it really doesn't matter what equipment is available - what matters are the skills and expertise of the providers. (this is just my opinion)

Also, when talking to him about his "success rate" as far as goal weight, weight loss etc., he wasn't super clear - just said oh, my rates are hitting what the published numbers say. The other doc had REALLY great 8-year data for his patients.

So then I thought, well, Dr K has patients from all over - some out-of-staters probably don't keep in touch. But, also, the other doc had a 4 hour phsyc eval, nutritionist appointment, more emphasis on pre diet and exercise, did the seminars and really stressed support groups - so does that make his patients more likely to succeed? Can I recreate that by making sure to get plugged into a good group?

You're right, many and probably the majority of Dr K's patients are from out of state. He probably sees very few after surgery, so the information he has on stats is limited.

I just want this to WORK - and I want to be safe - I am a single mom and my son needs me - needs me thin and healthy.

I am a single mom too. And weighing what I weighed prior to my LapBand meant I wasn't going to be around for very long. My highest weight was 480lbs. I truly believe that Dr K saved my life. He was willing to place a band on me at 438lbs and his office have been my biggest cheerleaders. I love that man and his staff because when I see myself in the mirror, I see a new person. I can do all kinds of things I never did before and I feel better than I have in over 20 years. I am off all meds and a healthy woman with a long life before me.

Does anyone know if all doctors now sew the stomach up over the band like Dr K does?

I think most do - those who do not have a lot of issues with slipping and revisions and loss of bands.

Now I am just rambling… thanks for your indulgence!

Aarg - I really want to go with Dr K just based on $ -between the cost of the surgery and fills the amount is huge. I can't really even do it with anyone else.

I was banded just over 2.5 years ago. I have lost almost 50% of my body weight and am closer to my goal of being a normal BMI than I have been in many many years. I have watched many who have been banded end up unsuccessful. These have not been Dr K's patients - but someone else's. Their surgeon had all the good things you speak of - but they haven't followed the rules and have failed. One has lost 20lbs in 2 years. Her insurance paid for her band. She's very discouraged, but can't control her head hunger and has been to therapists and dieticians.

The LapBand is a tough tool. You have to learn to listen to your body and you can't allow head hunger to control your intake. It's the most difficult of all WLS, but it's totally doable. I truly believe you have to believe in your surgeon - but most of all you have to believe in yourself and your ability to be successful. You have to seek support from others and follow the rules from day one. Yes, there are other surgeons who are going to offer you more in terms of assistance, but you will not find another more caring surgeon. Dr K was the pioneer surgeon for laparoscopic procedures here in Colorado. I believe that is how he was able to get the band around my huge stomach. It was his experience and skill that helped me be banded.

Don't choose Dr K because of the price, choose him because you believe he is the best man for the job. Regardless of who your surgeon is - it is you who determines how successful you are - it's not a magic pill - it's work and it's a life change.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi AmyRainbow:

Love your name selection. Cute.

I think it's wonderful you pay attention to details. So many people do not do that in their daily lives and just let things slide by. If you keep up that same energy post your band you will do fabulous. I can tell you like to see things by the book and following the instructions as told you will see your goal and new body!

To answer your questions, I'm sure, though he hasn't told me this, Dr. K is trying to keep things affordable for his patients while still providing quality care in a good surgical facility. I flew from Florida to have him do my procedure. Google his name and surgeon and you should get a lengthy, non-Lap Band report he did for a professional publication. These are the things I look for. Is the person skilled at what they do. Hands down YES. If he know anything, he knows about that scope and surgery on the human body.

Back to what I was going to say; I have Fibromyalgia and several spinal conditions. I have been to the Cleveland Clinic and atleast three other doctors for pain and neuro muscular dysfunction. I have been given a steady dose of drugs to keep my pain at bay by these doctors but none of them has gotten me to a point where I could pick up where I left off with my life before being stricken with FM. Finally, a neurologist told me that there was an arthritis doctor in a town north of me that is rather rural. I was told this doctor has taken it upon himself to study Fibromyalgia and treat it. Lucky me. So I go to the office and it's located near a medical facility but his office is in 'the back forty' or the last office before a vacant field, parking next to the dumster. (don't judge) I told myself. I go into the office, sparce is not the word. VERY small sitting area, maybe 8 chairs, I sign in and sit down. Next thing I know here comes the doctor. He had no medical assistant coming to get me. We walk into the one room he uses. He has his black bag open and I can see vials of medicine and so forth. For the next 30 minutes he methodically went through my history. NO RUSH. Then he noticed a spot on my elbow, psorisis which he tells me is common for arthritis. Finally, he injected me and I could only feel needles, several, all around my lower back, in my shoulder. He apologized for my discomfort. When I stood up, instantly my back was better. He decreased my pain by 30% right then and there. Hands down better than the Cleveland Clinic. Since that time, I put away any thoughts on what the office looks like and wait for the proof in the pudding.

Here's my soap box, I appoint myself to represent the fattys of the world because I am one, soon to not be one as my BMI goes lower and lower. I have long been sick and tired of people preying on the obese who, like myself, cling to the hope that finally finally, pleeez, finally this will work. I've seen so many infomercials on the bells and whistles with magical cards and 24 hour support, and it doesn't. Failure becomes part of the weight loss effort for some of us. It did for me. So when you say "I want this to work" I feel you. Really.

You can click my pictures to see my progress but just tonight, an old employee of ours came to the house, he has been gone for 36 months and just got back here. I walked into the room and he swooned back and said, "WOW! LOOK AT YOU!" followed by "You look fantastic".

That felt awesome.

The band works but you have to work the plan the follows. Trust me when I tell you that binge eating will become a thing of the past. When you 'try it' and end up hacking up what you ate your body trains itself to not even go there.

As for your tests, I came with, faxed him and mailed tests my insurance covers. My PCP ordered sleep study, heart stress test, full blood panel, and I went and got my own psyche eval. Other insurance companies require it but I am a self pay. I figure if they wanted it might be a good idea to have it done. Dr. K actually thanked me for having all that because he said "It helps me." Not required, just a benefit to help him perhaps understand my body better.

Best of luck Amy. It's your own journey friend. Whatever you feel confident with and comfortable with you should do. As for me, I love this man who changed my life. Calm, methodically explaining to me what he was going to do until I fully understood the procedure.

PR

I have my first fill this Friday. I'm so nervous, yet excited to get the first one out of the way and fear no more. I watched my sister have a fill with Dr. K and she did not even flinch, I hope the same for me!

My fears are not knowing when enough is enough. Having the band be too tight and having to return. I live in Colorado but still not close enough to make me not worry. Any advice?

Patty--I watched your video, what an inspiration! This thread is so helpful and motivating!

Dana

I have my first fill this Friday. I'm so nervous, yet excited to get the first one out of the way and fear no more. I watched my sister have a fill with Dr. K and she did not even flinch, I hope the same for me!

My fears are not knowing when enough is enough. Having the band be too tight and having to return. I live in Colorado but still not close enough to make me not worry. Any advice?

Patty--I watched your video, what an inspiration! This thread is so helpful and motivating!

Dana

Don't stress about your first fill! It is a little nerve wracking because you've never done it before. But Dr. K is awesome, and finds the port very quickly. I have had one fill by someone here in Salt Lake and I swear he must have been digging around with that needle for almost 2 minutes. i thought I was going to be sick. That was the moment I decided to only have Dr. K's office do my fills! He will feel for your port and go right in. My first fill he used ultrasound to locate it and then went in. But idk if that is common for all first fills.

You may need several fills before you can get to a really good spot. He will have you drink a few sips of Water and see if you can feel it slow and be restricted. He will work hard to find you a good spot. Last time I was in there I drank almost 4 of the little cups before we found a great spot. He will definitely take the time you need. But help him too!! Some bandsters like to stay super tight, which Dr K will not do. Being tight is the worst thing in the world, so be completely honest with him, and he will make sure your experience is as painless as possible!! Good Luck!!!

I was banded just over 2.5 years ago. I have lost almost 50% of my body weight and am closer to my goal of being a normal BMI than I have been in many many years. I have watched many who have been banded end up unsuccessful. These have not been Dr K's patients - but someone else's. Their surgeon had all the good things you speak of - but they haven't followed the rules and have failed. One has lost 20lbs in 2 years. Her insurance paid for her band. She's very discouraged, but can't control her head hunger and has been to therapists and dieticians.

The LAP-BAND® is a tough tool. You have to learn to listen to your body and you can't allow head hunger to control your intake. It's the most difficult of all WLS, but it's totally doable.

I would be in heaven if I could lose and maintain 50% of my body weight! Part of my problem is just that I have tried, lost 30-40lbs SO many times, only to gain it back plus 20 and FAIL. It makes me worry… can I really succeed this time? On the one hand, I see loads of people in my same boat - who say they never would have thought they could do it and have. BUT, I also see people who do not succeed and I am fearful that this would be me :) If I had conquered "head hunger" and had self-control, I would be skinny NOW, not needing a lap band to help.

I am a volume eater and don't snack, so feel that would be in my favor. I just eat to much at a time and eat way too fast. Both of these issues in theory should be helped by the band. If they are, then I don't see why I wouldn't succeed. I don't drink - don't remember the last time I had a milkshake, never have ice cream in the house etc.

This truly is ALL the money I have so part of it is just not wanting to spend it for NOTHING -

I truly believe you have to believe in your surgeon - but most of all you have to believe in yourself and your ability to be successful. You have to seek support from others and follow the rules from day one. Yes, there are other surgeons who are going to offer you more in terms of assistance, but you will not find another more caring surgeon. Dr K was the pioneer surgeon for laparoscopic procedures here in Colorado. I believe that is how he was able to get the band around my huge stomach. It was his experience and skill that helped me be banded.

Don't choose Dr K because of the price, choose him because you believe he is the best man for the job. Regardless of who your surgeon is - it is you who determines how successful you are - it's not a magic pill - it's work and it's a life change.

I totally agree that I have to believe in my surgeon - but ultimately, because I am self pay only have 10K, and am unable to get a loan for the difference, really the choice is Dr K or nothing. There were several things I really liked about him. He seemed VERY honest - took responsibility for an early slip and erosion - talked about learning from early mistakes. Also, taken at face value his motives for finding a way to offer the Lap Band at such a low price are great. Wanting to help people and not being greedy… I trust that he will do a great job with the surgery. Just wasn't as convinced about his aftercare. So, I will have to take ownership of that and must MAKE SURE I seek out support.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. I MUST lose this weight. I have a 10 year old son who I want to take to the Water park, go on roller coasters with, go on bike rides with etc. I don't want him to feel ashamed of me. AND I want him to not have to struggle with weight his entire life as I have. I want to get of my BP meds and ditch the stupid CPap. So, I have loads of motivation and am scheduled for labor day weekend. I am currently doing a low-carb diet and know I MUST start exercising. I just have to have faith that God will give me the strength to overcome and "use the tool" like everyone talks about.

Thanks for wishing me luck!

Oh - and not sure if it was you who said you liked my screen name - it is actually my middle name - Amy Rainbow… Hippy Dippy Commune living parents :)

AmyRainbow-

Congrats on choosing a date for your surgery. You are really taking a big step in your life. It will change so many things! You have made a good choice with Dr. K. He really is a wonderful surgeon. Let us know if you need anything!

The LAP-BAND® is a tough tool. You have to learn to listen to your body and you can't allow head hunger to control your intake. It's the most difficult of all WLS, but it's totally doable.

I would be in heaven if I could lose and maintain 50% of my body weight! Part of my problem is just that I have tried, lost 30-40lbs SO many times, only to gain it back plus 20 and FAIL. It makes me worry… can I really succeed this time? On the one hand, I see loads of people in my same boat - who say they never would have thought they could do it and have. BUT, I also see people who do not succeed and I am fearful that this would be me :) If I had conquered "head hunger" and had self-control, I would be skinny NOW, not needing a lap band to help.

I think it's a cruel for us to think, "IF I could control the head hunger - why couldn't I do this without the band." Perhaps - this is true to a small extent, but we get hungry (true tummy hunger) and this leads us to eat - often overeat. It's not just controlling the head hunger - it's stopping when we have had enough - because we eat so fast that we still feel we are "hungry" when we are not. The band does help with that - but you have to zone into your body's clues and know when you are full. I am fortunate, I have a soft stop - my nose runs and I know it's time to stop. If I have a good fill, my nose will run after 1 cup and I will be satiated for 5 hours or more. It's still hard to actually put that fork down and walk away when the food is good. It's for this reason that I measure my food out - and put the rest of the food in the trash - or in the refrigerator. If I am eating out, I "eyeball" a cup and put the rest in a take out container before I take my first bite. I know how weak I am so I have to go to extremes to keep myself "being good."

I am a volume eater and don't snack, so feel that would be in my favor. I just eat to much at a time and eat way too fast. Both of these issues in theory should be helped by the band. If they are, then I don't see why I wouldn't succeed. I don't drink - don't remember the last time I had a milkshake, never have ice cream in the house etc.

This truly is ALL the money I have so part of it is just not wanting to spend it for NOTHING -

I truly believe you have to believe in your surgeon - but most of all you have to believe in yourself and your ability to be successful. You have to seek support from others and follow the rules from day one. Yes, there are other surgeons who are going to offer you more in terms of assistance, but you will not find another more caring surgeon. Dr K was the pioneer surgeon for laparoscopic procedures here in Colorado. I believe that is how he was able to get the band around my huge stomach. It was his experience and skill that helped me be banded.

I totally agree that I have to believe in my surgeon - but ultimately, because I am self pay only have 10K, and am unable to get a loan for the difference, really the choice is Dr K or nothing. There were several things I really liked about him. He seemed VERY honest - took responsibility for an early slip and erosion - talked about learning from early mistakes. Also, taken at face value his motives for finding a way to offer the Lap Band at such a low price are great. Wanting to help people and not being greedy… I trust that he will do a great job with the surgery. Just wasn't as convinced about his aftercare. So, I will have to take ownership of that and must MAKE SURE I seek out support.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. I MUST lose this weight. I have a 10 year old son who I want to take to the Water park, go on roller coasters with, go on bike rides with etc. I don't want him to feel ashamed of me. AND I want him to not have to struggle with weight his entire life as I have. I want to get of my BP meds and ditch the stupid CPap. So, I have loads of motivation and am scheduled for labor day weekend. I am currently doing a low-carb diet and know I MUST start exercising. I just have to have faith that God will give me the strength to overcome and "use the tool" like everyone talks about.

Thanks for wishing me luck!

Oh - and not sure if it was you who said you liked my screen name - it is actually my middle name - Amy Rainbow… Hippy Dippy Commune living parents :)

Congrats!

I really know how important it is to believe that you can do and believing you are worth it. It's hard for us to believe we are worth all of the hard work, but we are.

I know so many who have been banded or who are being banded soon and I tell them the same - follow the rules follow the rules follow the rules. There are many rules I have never NOT followed. I believe that not drinking with or after your meals for an hour is one of the top rules that need to be followed. I also believe that eating your Protein first and foremost each meal is another one. I learned early on that I need my fruit and veggies - so I divide my plate out and place my appropriate servings. But each time I attempt to eat my protein first.

None of us are perfect, we all struggle and for me it's been a daily struggle. AND I know it will be a daily struggle my entire life.

Don't be a stranger to the support boards and seek assistance and encouragement from those you trust - those banded and those who love you!

Before you know it - you will be on those roller coasters and at that waterpark with your little boy!

Believe, Do and you will Achieve!

dee~

Edited by PrtyAntOvrYt

Wow, I wish I could trigger my nose to run when I'm supposed to be done! LOL How does that work!

Just popping in to say "hi". I haven't done a lot of chatting here, but I do follow everyone.

I was banded by Dr. K on July 22 2009. My start weight was 284 but I weighed 270 on the day of banding. I'm proud to report I've lost nearly 99 pounds since I started this process. (I've also lost my gall bladder, but that's another story.)

I've had five fills (and one partial unfill tweak). I haven't been to see Dr. K since May when I traveled to Denver twice in 5 days (once for a fill, once for a partial unfill). I'm at great restriction right now.

I have about another 30 pounds to go and am confident that they will come off even though it is slow going now.

Here's a picture of me at 284 at a wedding in May of 2009 (I'm in orange).

May2009.jpg

Here's me two weeks ago in a dress that I'm planning on wearing to a wedding on Saturday.

dress1.jpg

Other NSVs, I can climb into my ambulance with ease now; I've gotten a new jumpsuit for my EMS duties (when folks from other departments were teasing me about my clown suit, the Fire Chief thought it was time for me to size down... from a men's XL to a men's medium). I tend to my garden with ease. I walk everywhere. I fit into size 16 jeans; regular size L tops. I'm just thrilled with my progress.

Wow, I wish I could trigger my nose to run when I'm supposed to be done! LOL How does that work!

The Vagus Nerve and the Lap Band

Signals from the Stomach are "distorted somewhat" and often Disrupted or damaged by the Gastric Bypass. The signals from the pouch often trigger the Vagus nerve to "fire" unique reflex responses. The Vagus nerve transmits the signal to the brain when we are full. It seems to "drop off" some info to other stations on the way to the brain. It is responsible for Diaphragmatic "Dry Heaves" that some experience in the early days following Bariatric Procedures, and longer term is often associated with rapid gastric emptying.

Many Post-ops claim to have their nose start running when they take "that last bite" just before feeling too full. Some experience sneezing or hiccups if they eat a bite too much. Both are actions inextricably bound to Vagus nerve signals. Many claim to get a "runny nose" with one bite too much food for their pouch, and hiccups from eating too fast.

Many Gastric Bypass Post-ops have similar odd signals associated with the connections that the Vagus nerve makes along it’s wandering path.

Complements of DxE...he originally posted this on March 5th, 2007 & I found this very helpful. He is a wealth of information.