Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

So, I have been having a hard time lately. My TOM totally threw me off, and now I am up 4 lbs since Christmas! I'm not changing my ticker. I feel like a failure. I am starting the Pouch test today if only to get me back on the right foods. I have been under a lot of stress for the last 2 weeks so maybe that is part of it. But I have been keeping up with my Protein, and trying to avoid bad foods, but with no luck. It probably doesn't help that most of my exercise s at work and I have been off for the holidays. I can't afford another fill until Feb so I really need to do this.

Oh Lotza. I'm right there with you. I've gained 2.8 lbs over Christmas. I basically undid what I had lost in the earlier part of December. It really sucks.

I'm trying a new way of eating. I bought a book called "Crack the Fat Loss Code" that is a really structured type of carb cycling. I just started today. The first week is "carb depletion" (less than 20 g of carbs per day) and then there are 7 more weeks of eating that varies in the amount of carbs you can have each day. I'll let you know how it works.

Darned holidays!!!

Thanks Patty!

I loved your badges! Mine are very much the same! You can watch my weight go up and down through the years and finally back up and then I got the band. I've been a nurse since I was 25 years old and my weight has fluctuated drastically over those 20 years!

I hope you have a GREAT WEEK too!

Wow, what a great new pic of you!!!

Magaines...I need to call, I can't find my card...I will let you know!

I checked my card and my appointment is at 3 not 2.

OK ladies, the time is upon us. We'll be gathering for our January RR night this Thursday at 7pm at the RR on Arapahoe (is that right??). I think this is the address:

8585 E. Arapahoe Road

Greenwood Village, CO 80111

I know that Dee can't make it due to her work schedule. Who will be there?

I will be there, along with AmythestJade (Gina).

Let me know who all is coming so I know how many gorgeous women to look out for!!! I don't want anyone left out.

I will be there too. I haven't had the opportunity to meet you girls. Can't wait.

OK ladies, the time is upon us. We'll be gathering for our January RR night this Thursday at 7pm at the RR on Arapahoe (is that right??). I think this is the address:

8585 E. Arapahoe Road

Greenwood Village, CO 80111

I know that Dee can't make it due to her work schedule. Who will be there?

I will be there, along with AmythestJade (Gina).

Let me know who all is coming so I know how many gorgeous women to look out for!!! I don't want anyone left out.

I'll be there!!! :tongue2:

Oh Lotza. I'm right there with you. I've gained 2.8 lbs over Christmas. I basically undid what I had lost in the earlier part of December. It really sucks.

I'm trying a new way of eating. I bought a book called "Crack the Fat Loss Code" that is a really structured type of carb cycling. I just started today. The first week is "carb depletion" (less than 20 g of carbs per day) and then there are 7 more weeks of eating that varies in the amount of carbs you can have each day. I'll let you know how it works.

Darned holidays!!!

I'd love to find out more about this "Crack the Fat Loss Code" diet. It sounds good!

Wow, what a great new pic of you!!!

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!

I'd love to find out more about this "Crack the Fat Loss Code" diet. It sounds good!

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!

Well, I'd try to summarize the diet but it's kinda complicated. There are these different "eating pattern" days . . . like sometimes you can have one serving of carbs before 3 pm and some days it's 2 servings before 3 and sometimes its 2 servings after 3, etc. And the order of the days changes from week to week. The author claims that it takes your body 72 hours to deplete the glycogen from your muscles when you're not eating carbs but then it will quickly adjust and you'll plateau so she has this formula to keep your body from adjusting to the carb level.

She also has lists of what are acceptable Proteins, fats, carbs, etc. I don't mind that it's complicated though. I kind of like planning my meals. Anyway, if you google it it seems like a lot of people really like this diet.

So it looks like we've got 5 people so far.

jmegirl

AmythestJade

MissMom24

magaines

KayleighsMommy

I've only ever met MissMom24 in person, and I'm actually picking up AmythestJade to give her a ride - so hopefully we'll all be able to find each other, LOL.

I really hope that I don't feel this way everytime it is time for another fill.

I really need your opinon...again. I had my first fill Dec. 5th. It took about

10-14 days for that fill to kick in ( I am

questioning wether or not I need a fill. I am scheduled for a fill on Friday.

I eat and don't get hungry for 4-6 hrs depending on what I eat.

I can eat more than 1/2 - 1 cup, but I try hard not too.

I have come to realize that even thin frozen Pizza Crust is not band friendly, ...a word, OUCH

but if I stay away from bread I usually don't have a problem with anything

getting stuck.

I was on a two week plateau that I think I have recently begun to break out of.

(Otherwise I wouldn't question it and I would just go! If I don't lose anymore

weight by Friday I definately should go.)

Even when I am hungry it isn't an overwelming hunger.

I worry about getting too tight and having to drive 8 hrs back to Denver.

I can eat any time of the day. The band is never too tight for that. Not in the

morning or at night.

I know the chance that I am where I need to be with only 1 fill is slim-to-none.

I am still a new bandster...what do you think?

I can tell you my own fill experiences and maybe that might help you a bit.

I'm quite certain I relied heavily on my fills to 'stop me from eating'. Once I healed, I found that my tastebuds had changed and I was also unable to eat foods that I call my red light foods. Foods that trigger me to eat more. A red light food for me is anything with a punch of carbs like Pasta fazule (sp?) Soup, angel hair pasta. Even in very small amounts I am so carb sensative it pushes me into a hunger zone. So I've become aware that certain foods are foods I need to completely avoid even if they are only in minor amounts.

The second thing I learned was how to recognize hunger. I'm a person who started this process as a compulsive overeater so knowing what true hunger felt like was a new experience. Because of that I copied what I was told to do and went forward on faith that eventually I would learn.

You said you are not hungry for 4-6 hours. That tells me you are pretty close if not right where you should be. Try eating something for Breakfast that is low in bulk and easy to chew and swallow like a boiled egg. Eat that slow because in the morning I know that my stoma feels like it shrunk half it's size. I also don't drink anything first thing in the morning or intake anything with artificial sweetener. For some reason that false sugar puts an edge of hunger moreso than if I had not intaken it.

When you say you can eat more than 1 cup is that more than 1 cup of soup or more than one cup of steak? Some things you will find go down easier than others. If I tried to eat one cup of steak I'd be running around in the grass in my backyard sliming and hacking like my cat with a fur ball stuck in her throat.

Lastly, study. I am constantly reading articles and trying out new things. Eating the same thing can get boring.

Dr. Kirshenbaum's website from the homepage has a link called "Weight Loss Resources", drop the box and go to resources,

Weight Loss Resources | Lap Band Of The Rockies - Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum

a book is listed there resources Lap-Band for Life by Dr. Lagardere. It's a good read.

Hope this helps.

Patty

Well, I'd try to summarize the diet but it's kinda complicated. There are these different "eating pattern" days . . . like sometimes you can have one serving of carbs before 3 pm and some days it's 2 servings before 3 and sometimes its 2 servings after 3, etc. And the order of the days changes from week to week. The author claims that it takes your body 72 hours to deplete the glycogen from your muscles when you're not eating carbs but then it will quickly adjust and you'll plateau so she has this formula to keep your body from adjusting to the carb level.

She also has lists of what are acceptable Proteins, fats, carbs, etc. I don't mind that it's complicated though. I kind of like planning my meals. Anyway, if you google it it seems like a lot of people really like this diet.

I'll look it up on google! I am similar with you. I do much better if I have a plan and I don't mind if it's pretty strict.

I know I have to learn a plan that I can do the rest of my life and adopt as a way of life. Watching Oprah yesterday and then this morning watching so other programs on "diets" -- it's clear and always has been that it has to be a way of life. I'm not sure why that is so hard for me to understand! I understand it, but I reject it for the most part because of whatever reason! I do know I am very carb and sodium sensitive. The good thing about the Band is that I can eat less and feel satiated for a much longer time!

Julie Ann, about your fill. How much did Dr. K give you at your first fill? I got 3.2cc and only felt it for about a week out of the last four weeks. You're certainly lucky to feel the kind of restriction that you do! I've been able to eat thin crust pepperoni like it's nobody's business! :lol: I would suggest calling Dr. K and explaining to him how you're feeling right now, and ask his opinion. Driving 8hrs is certainly a lot to go through if you don't really need the fill. But then again, what happens if your restriction goes away next week, and you can't get another fill appointment for a month? She said they were booked out through the month of December when we were there on Dec 5th, so it's possible they're already full for January. I think the best thing to do would be call Dr. K and get his professional opinion. I certainly hope to see you on Friday!! :thumbup:

:thumbup: :cool2:

Hey Jamie, I got 2.8cc for my first fill. I didn't really have a big change until about 10-14 days later.

I am being very conscious of my body this week. I was hungry today for the first time in a long time. I will see how tomorrow goes. I think I am off my plateau because I've lost 4 lbs in the last week. If I am hungry again tomorrow I will go ahead with my fill. Maybe just a tiny one.

I wish I could join you on Thurday. Maybe after basketball season is over if I am still having fills I will be able to join all of you.

Have a great time!