Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a week away from my surgery date. I need to lose as much weight as possible this week any ideas? I bought some Protein Shakes from my doctors office but what else can I do?

Or what? Is the weight loss a requirement and part of your pre-op diet plan and schedule? Other than hit the gym and hard core diet I don't have any magic words.. Sorry

No, no requirements just want to lose some weight my doctor said the more i can shrink my liver the better. Just not sure if i need to use the Protein shakes as Meal Replacements or if i should just use them as well as healthy foods

drink lots of water..... eat lots of veggies.... both will help clean you out and make you full @ the same time.

To shrink my liver I was put on a Protein diet with 3 shakes a day, 1 protein Soup and 1 Protein Bar a day. That was my preop diet for 10 days. Must of worked okay bc there were no problems in that regard. Good luck!

My one week pre-op diet will be 3-4 Protein shakes a day plus a light dinner. Total calories are under 900. Same goal of shrinking the liver.

Good luck!

Thanks that helps my doctor just said he wanted me to do the Protein drinks. I was thinking I do breakfast and lunch Protein Shake and a light dinner but if you said you did the a day I'm thinking I'll do the same

I also did protein shake for breakfast and lunch then for dinner 3-4 lean protein with a salad or veggie. I lost 9 pounds in 9 days and my liver was so small the Doc didn't need to make the extra hole for the "liver lifter". Yahoo!!

My doctor told me I was gonna have a fatty liver one week before surgery . If been on a shake and veg salad / chicken diet ( dinner) for a month so I was kinda pissed when he said it would be fatty anyway. BUT come surgery he told me my liver as actually really good. So I was happy with that. I would recommend two shakes a day the. A portion controlled dinner :) veg or salad with chicken or fish .

If it is helpful, my NUT at Swedish recommended eating like the induction phase on Atkins for the pre op diet. I did not have any trouble with that as lots of practice there. :) it is essentially a very low carb diet, no breads, starches, etc. You eat Proteins as much as possible with some low glycemic vegetables. This kind of diet actually works remarkably well post op to drop lbs until you are able to add back in good carbs. The surgeon stated that I had a super healthy and small liver because of doing this when he opened me up. Most people will end up losing 10 lb in a week by eating low carb before surgery. For example, I switched my diet one month before surgery to be like Atkins induction phase and lost about 30 lbs, probably reducing complications that might have been present had I been 30 lb heavier and still eating junk. I felt it also gave me a good kick start on learning to eat better *before* post op physical and mental struggles. Really important!! Maybe this simple suggestion will help you or others.

I also like the idea from space dust regarding drinking Protein shakes before surgery. That will help you get used to the post op drinking of Protein Shakes. All we drink are Protein Shakes for up to 3 weeks post op, so the more you prepare yourself for this, the better. However, I do have to warn you that your favorite Protein shake flavor pre op may no longer be your favorite Protein Shake flavor post op. Our tastes often change going over to the other side. For this reason, it is not a good idea to load up on tubs of Protein powder pre op thinking you will be also drinking that post op. MyBariatricPantry.com and other sites like this let you buy sample packets of protein shake flavors. Try some or all until you pick one or more that you do not mind drinking. Again, do this post op as your tastes may have changed after your stomach is removed. I happen to like nectar sweets (several flavors) both pre op and post op, but did not like nectar fruits post op where others really like Nectar fruit flavors post op. i used to be big on Peach and banana flavors pre op, but hated them post op. Everyone will have different tastes.

Water and milk will taste different post op, maybe even gross. I could not drink milk again due to lactose issues until month 5 post op and plain Water again until month 6 post op. You may find an alternative like light soy or almond milk will work just as well as nonfat/low fat milk post op. it will be smoother on your stomach. Everyone is different. As for water, I could taste all the minerals and it sat heavy in my stomach post op. I am still flavoring my water today at month 9 post op, but can drink bottled and tap water again without flavor if the need arises.

the for the liver shrink "light dinner" according to my doc should be lean and green.. like literally a hunk of fish or chicken and a salad of the darkest leafy greens you can find- or a scoop of steamed leafy greens. No root vegetables, no starches.

By having a liquid diet, you are not only shrinking your liver, you are also emptying the solid particles from your

stomach. Cleaning out your system...

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips I'm very grateful to be able to have this website and everyone on here. I'm off now for a morning Protein Shake and mile walk!!! Thanks again.

the for the liver shrink "light dinner" according to my doc should be lean and green.. like literally a hunk of fish or chicken and a salad of the darkest leafy greens you can find- or a scoop of steamed leafy greens. No root vegetables' date=' no starches.[/quote']

That's likely close to the approach I'll take, although it isn't required for me - in fact I'm allowed to have a Lean Cuisine or Amy's or Healthy Choice frozen entree that won't exceed whatever remains of my daily calorie quota if need be to keep me on track. I'm just required to keep my total calories to about 870, so I'll probably have between 200 and 300 calories to play with for dinner.

However, I happen to like spinach salad dressed with a light amount of balsamic vinaigrette and we almost always have some grilled or smoked chicken around, as well as some flash frozen fish portions in the freezer. I'm sure that I'll manage for that week without resorting to a premade dinner.< /p>

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

All these helpful tips helped me lose 10 lbs in a 5 days. These last two days I've been doing a liquid diet so hopefully this helps with a couple of more pounds. Tomorrow is my surgery I'm excited and yet a little nervous.