Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Autoimmune Issues and VSG?

I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. This causes me pain each day, and makes exercise for weight loss (I have always had to do major workouts to lose consistently) very difficult. I have begun the process to be sleeved by September. Anyone else done this procedure with an autoimmune disease? How has it improved or worsened the symptoms?

My rheumatologist tells me that the weight loss will help the medications work better (at lower doses), and my surgeon says they deal with AI issues regularly. He did say he would not put in the band, because that can exacerbate symptoms.

Thanks in advance!

Tina

San Antonio, Texas

Hi, I am curious to know too. I currently have the lapband (since 2008) but seeking revision to sleeve. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease last year. Good luck on your journey!

I've had Rheumatoid Arthritits for 10 years. Coming up on 3 months post VSG. It's a mixed bag. I move easier, more limber and flexible. Not exhaused at the end of a day of working, but tired. Joint pain and fatigue are still an issue. I'd say 25% better. I'm only half way to goal so we will see if the next 30-40 pounds gives me less symptoms. My reasoning for the sleeve was endurance not relief...

I also wanted to now this, as im to have mines may 28.

I have Lupus and hope that I dont have a major flare after surgery. Fingers crossed!

Oh! I forgot to mention, I felt great for 4 weeks after surgery! Went into total remission. I imagine my over active immune system finally had thing to do other than mess with the RA. It was wonderful!

Thats wonderful....did u have to stop RA meds prior to surgery and also after surgery for à while?

Yes, on Humira. I was told to stop two weeks prior and resume two weeks after although I stopped a few days early and didn't resume until 4 weeks so I could get maximum healing.

Methotrexate here...for psoriasis arthritis and psoriasis

Question....now do you put your pic on here?

Great question! I have lupus and ra and my doctor recommended surgery because since my diagnosis my weight has sky rocketed and will not come down. He feels it is. A tool to combat my flares. My lupus came about after a pregnancy. It has been 12 years but I have gained 150 pounds. It's frustrating I'm too tired to move to get around or anything. Recently I found out my thyroid is non functioning as well. They said I have hasimotos hypothyroiditis. I'm on meds for that now too. I meet with the bariatric clinic here on may 8th to see what's next.

My insurance covers all but 10% and I already have my psych evaluation done. So we'll see where this leads. I'm scared but I need to get my life back. I'm scared surgery won't make me feel any better like they are saying it will.

I can relate to, i want my life back, and cut back on some of thèse pills i take was also à motivation to look at the surgery

I have Lupus diagnosed post Lap-band placement, soooo, band is contraindicated and needs to come out, so I will be converting to the sleeve at the same time. I have to stop the meloxicam 7 days before, not looking forward to that I'm gonna be hurting. Hopefully getting the band out and losing the weight will help with my overall pain situation. Crossing-fingers, and feel free to stay tuned. I'll definately post my experience with Lupus/VSG post surgery.

TonyaMac-- my weight went way up.after my diagnosis too, and I'm pretty sure its from the on/off prednisone use over the last 10 year's...

I am 6months post-op and recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I give myself weekly shots of methotrexate and seems to be helping. I still have some joint pain and it makes exercising challenging BUT I canNOT imagine how much worse I would feel if I still had those 65lbs. I feel so much better in my skin. I no longer have sleep apnea which is HUGE. Here is the challenging part, I HAVE to make sure I get all the Protein and fluids in (vitamins daily and B12 shots monthly) or I have low energy. Its difficult for all of us but I think its even more crucial when dealing with autoimmune issues. Please keep that in mind. I had a problem taking Rx pills for psoriatic arthritis with my little tummy. Thats why i do injections and its the best choice i made. Very, very small needles. Easy to do and only once a week vs 2 pills a day. Life is truly sweeter now. I really wish I had surgery years ago. You all are going to be sooo happy! Its not every day you turn your life around. Enjoy the journey.