Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

And YES, I would absolutely do this again!! I know I'm in the happy 98%, and I feel very badly for the unhappy 2%, but I would take that chance again and again. I was well-informed, mentally and emotionally prepared, and I've been successful. But I was scared as heck. From the moment I subconsciously decided to go for it until I was about 9 - 10 months out. I still let fear creep in that even now, over a year out, something just might go wrong.

But ya know what? Even if it does go wrong, everything was already going wrong. I was getting unhealthier by the day. I was going to die. I'm still going to die. I'm just gonna die a whole lot happier and healthier.

And please, I am not making light of any WLS casualties, but those people were like me, getting more unhealthy and already dying from it. They took a chance on improving their lot, and it didn't pay off. And they may have gotten even more unhealthy, or died, like Phyllis, but she/they may have met the same fate anyway, just by a different mechanism.

Again, not making light of any of it, just saying it was worth taking the chance.

Absolutely!

I lost 90 lbs and have kept it off for three years.

I had never come close to that in the last 30 years.

Whatever inconveniences and minor dietary restrinctions are so minor compared to the benefits.

I would do it again, yes. It is a whole new lifestyle and way of eating. I am surprised that I still feel hungry sometimes - I was told I wouldn't... weight loss is steady - if I'm smart about my food choices. I have had 1 week of gaining (Easter week - after all the candy was brought out)! But you learn VERY QUICKLY that one cannot eat the same way / things after surgery as one did before surgery! ;)

I would do it again' date=' yes. It is a whole new lifestyle and way of eating. I am surprised that I still feel hungry sometimes - I was told I wouldn't... weight loss is steady - if I'm smart about my food choices. I have had 1 week of gaining (Easter week - after all the candy was brought out)! But you learn VERY QUICKLY that one cannot eat the same way / things after surgery as one did before surgery! ;)[/quote']

Who told you that hunger disappears forever? Your NUT? Your WLS Center? It is a bit of a myth as my VST friend BTB said recently in a post.

Hunger comes back for a lot of folks around month 6 so I am happy to read that you know "one cannot eat the same way" as before surgery. When hunger returns, it takes a set of learned strategies to not eat all the time. The first 6 months are a good time to learn a set of eating and fitness strategies that you can fall back on to prevent consuming too many calories that will lead to a weight gain.

We are all learning what works and does not work every single post op day. It is like being in school all over again. Lol. There is so much to learn...

Everyone is different in how their BMR is functioning so will be able to eat more/same/less then you when hunger comes back. Please do rely on VST for any support you need. We are all here to help one another be successful. We all have different needs.

Who told you that hunger disappears forever? Your NUT? Your WLS Center? It is a bit of a myth as my VST friend BTB said recently in a post.

HA HA HA! The great VST urban myth fiddle!!

I think what happens is like the other day someone wrote a thread about her "love affair" with food is over (she's a couple of weeks out)

And a bunch of other people newly sleeved say the same thing. Pre ops read and BAM :P

Someone on that thread did suggest it will come back... She was called a Debbie downer and bitter because she was a failure :(

Oh and yes I would do this surgery again!

It has giving me a fighting chance at a healthier life. It did not come without risks or sacrifices. But I willingly signed up for it, with those in mind.

No way!!!

My relationships have changed my eating is minimal. I used to be the life of the party now I'm bland.

No one spoke of the negative things you experience throughout this process, so stupid me thought it would be rosy.

I can't experience the same lifestyle I had with my wife & kids.

My life was about wining & dining & entertaining. Im lucky to last half an hour now. I may have lost loads of weight but isn't that what getting older is about putting on a few extra kilos.

I wish I had of got up off my ass & gone to the gym!!

Now I feel I have a disability... I don't believe you are all happy!! But good luck to you!! For people who are about to have it do more research on the negatives..that's my only advise

NO, I would never have this done again. I'm sorry that I had it done. Now let me say I have done great. I'm 75lbs down in 4 months. I have followed everything perfect. I have had sooo many problems and I still am. I still vomit everyday. I can't hold down solids and my Vitamins make me sick. So thanks to all that I'm loosing my hair and tired from no energy. There is no way I would do this again. I'm always cranky and in a bad mood due to the fact my body is missing out on sooo much.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!! Very happy and so glad that i had VGS! Only 3 months out, almost -50# & full of energy, full of LIFE! I love the way my body is taking shape, my legs, glut, arms, hips, waist!! I love that I can work out and feel fantastic after! I love that every single day I don't have to regret how much I ate, or what I ate, or promise myself that on Monday I was going to start a diet and then come Monday noon and the "diet" went out the door. That i don't get out of breath, Or that when I'm getting dressed I'm not disgusted and constantly thinking about my huge self. I love looking at the mirror and SMILING for once!!! So what that I'm not eating as much as my friends at get togethers! Big f$&@&$? deal! I eat as instructed, I'm satisfied, my sleeve is happy, and I can still have great time with friends. I've learned to eat really really slow when I'm out at dinners with the girls that we finish at the same time. You learn to adjust. You're entire lifestyle HAS TO CHANGE!

NO, I would never have this done again. I'm sorry that I had it done. Now let me say I have done great. I'm 75lbs down in 4 months. I have followed everything perfect. I have had sooo many problems and I still am. I still vomit everyday. I can't hold down solids and my Vitamins make me sick. So thanks to all that I'm loosing my hair and tired from no energy. There is no way I would do this again. I'm always cranky and in a bad mood due to the fact my body is missing out on sooo much.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. All Vitamins made me ill, so much that I stopped taking them for a long time. A couple of months ago someone suggested liquid vitamins (wellesse) and finally, I was able to tolerate them. Maybe you should try a liquid and see how that works.

100% yes! I had the gastric sleeve and I was uncomfortable for a week after surgery, but moving and walking allieviated nearly all the pain. Post-op diet was boring but doable and the weeks went by quickly.

I would suggest finding a Protein suppliment that you really like the taste of, you will be drinking lots of it.

I am 4 months post-op and I have lost an average of 3 lbs a week. I feel great and I'm so glad I finally did something just for me, should have done it years ago.

Wow, I can't believe some of the responses on here. I think the medical profession need to do a better job of screening to only perform the op on people who are in the right place mentally. I hope no one who really really wants to lose the weight is put off by some of these replies. For me and many, many people I have talked to since early 2009 VSG has been the answer to our prayers.

Yes hunger comes back but it's normal hunger, not the deranged stuff it down as fast as possible type. Yes you have to be sensible with what you eat but again it's a normal way of eating.

Today as I approach my 4 year anniverary of my sleeve I had 2 fried eggs and 2 grilled rashers of bacon for Breakfast. For lunch I had a large bowl of homemade chicken and sweetcorn Soup. For a snack I had an apple. For dinner I plan on some roast pork and vegetables. I walked for 1 and a half hours in the woods so all of this will give me net calories of approx 800.

I am trying to shed some weight I gained from partying too hard. I have been having a ball since I got down to a normal BMI.

Jane

Wow' date=' I can't believe some of the responses on here. I think the medical profession need to do a better job of screening to only perform the op on people who are in the right place mentally. I hope no one who really really wants to lose the weight is put off by some of these replies. For me and many, many people I have talked to since early 2009 VSG has been the answer to our prayers.

Yes hunger comes back but it's normal hunger, not the deranged stuff it down as fast as possible type. Yes you have to be sensible with what you eat but again it's a normal way of eating.

Today as I approach my 4 year anniverary of my sleeve I had 2 fried eggs and 2 grilled rashers of bacon for Breakfast. For lunch I had a large bowl of homemade chicken and sweetcorn Soup. For a snack I had an apple. For dinner I plan on some roast pork and vegetables. I walked for 1 and a half hours in the woods so all of this will give me net calories of approx 800.

I am trying to shed some weight I gained from partying too hard. I have been having a ball since I got down to a normal BMI.

Jane[/quote']

Out of curiosity, what does "partying too hard" actually involve? I want to know what I am missing out on! :)

I'm 7 weeks post op.... And I can say without a doubt, that I would do this again! While my journey has not been "easy", it has been worth it! I'm losing weight at a steady pace and I feel more alive than ever. I have so much more energy and feel that I can do anything that I set my mind to. I am PRO-SLEEVE!!! ;)

Fiddleman, mostly the pub, dining out and parties. It involves bottles of good wine and thick heads the next day. It's not sustainable on a long term basis when one is in ones mid 50s :unsure: